cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Upgrade Blues

Mikewalsh
Grafter

Upgrade Blues

Ticket 33382803 Refers (would be nice if someone could update it?)
Last Friday (in preparation for an upgrade from Value to Extra on 22nd) my line was moved from 20CN to 21CN, since when my throughput and IP Profile has nosedived 5000/5500 to 1500. Thinking my tired old 3Com router was partly responsible, this evening I connected my brand new Thomson TG585v7 supplied by your good selves (love the auto setup!). However the figures are much the same and mostly OK apart from an inordinately high number of FEC errors. The old router showed these as Interleaved Fec errors?
Is there a problem because I have not yet been regraded or is there an issue with BRAS/DLM/Interleaving?Huh
Uptime: 0 days, 1:58:09
DSL Type: G.992.1 annex A
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 448 / 7,040
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/kB]: 0.00 / 0.00
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.0 / 19.5
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 22.0 / 40.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 21.0 / 6.0
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / TSTC
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 5,154
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 24
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 23
Regards
Mike
44 REPLIES 44
Mand
Grafter

Re: Upgrade Blues

Hi there,
It doesn't look like the upgrade has completed yet (I can't chase that until tomorrow unfortunately). However, if your connection stays as it is now you should get a 6000+ IP profile within 3 days, and subsequently much better throughput speeds.
Mikewalsh
Grafter

Thanks for your quick response Mand - nice to see you are still around  Smiley
FEC errors?
Regards Mike
Mikewalsh
Grafter

... another day has passed and I am still no wiser as to why my IP Profile dropped from 5000 to 1500 last week (with a marked increase in FEC errors) ... but at least I had a reply to my ticket saying that the move to 21CN hasn't yet taken place?  Now I really am really confused Undecided
Mike
Mikewalsh
Grafter

... and I am not the only one who is confused  "There seems some confusion here to be honest."  Crazy
Mikewalsh
Grafter

Down, Down, down

Upgraded from Value to Extra implemented today.
Broadband Product: Extra
Monthly Subscription: £11.49
After 0 months your subscription will change to £11.49

Estimated speed: 6 Mbps
This is an estimate of the line speed you'll get.
My throughput has descended from 4.8mb via 2mb, 1.5mb, 600kbs, 160kbs to 135kbs over the last 7 days!
I have raised a couple of tickets 33382803  & 33471729 which are supposed to be with a mystic entity called the regrade team.
In the meantime my IP profile seems to be disappearing up its own ...
My patience is now at an end and to be honest I am regretting moving from Value with its comfortable 4.8 MB throughput.
At the moment I am receiving a product which is not fit for the purpose it is intended and would be grateful if someone who knows what they are doing can sort it out.
Latest Router Stats (BT speedtest won't complete due to the low throughput)
DSL Type: G.992.1 annex A
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 448 / 6,112
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/kB]: 0.00 / 0.00
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.0 / 19.5
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 22.0 / 40.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 21.0 / 9.5
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / TSTC
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 266
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 1
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0
Thanks
Mike

Mikewalsh
Grafter

I have finally managed to carry out a BT speedtest:
BT Test 23rd May
Download speed achieved during the test was - 119 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 50-250 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :6048 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 135 Kbps
Is it worth disconnecting the TG585v7 Modem and reconnecting my old 3Com or should I continue to play the waiting game?
Rgds
Mike  Angry
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

The order is still pending due to lack of exchange capacity, the review date is set for today but unfortunately there's no updates as yet. As soon as anything is added we'll let you know.
Mikewalsh
Grafter

Thanks for looking into it Matt - I can wait forever for 21CN (it is not a priority for me) but I still don't understand why this is affecting my speed.
A week or more ago I was enjoying a throughput of 4.8 surely if I am still on 20CN I should still be getting this - my throughput is now 130kbps and has been for some days. The whole purpose for the upgrade to Extra was to be able to take advantage of the 60GB with a view to using BBC Iplayer on Freesat more. Now I can't use it at all! (and I am now being charged for 60 GB I can't use!!)
Rgds
Mike
Mand
Grafter

The IP profile should return to it's former glory over the next few hours.
A BT speedtest will confirm it.
You had a few disconnects a few days ago which may be the cause, but the profile adjustment is a bit drastic. Sad
Mikewalsh
Grafter

Thanks Mand will check again later this evening  Undecided
Rgds
Mike
Apprentice
Grafter

Taken from your router stats:-
DSL Type:  G.992.1 annex A

You are still on an Up to 8Mbps ADSL connection, and as Mand stated it shouldn't take too long for the BT IP profile to increase, (bar a lower resync event in between}.
Hopefully the Plusnet profile will increase automatically without it needing a nudge to go up by PN Staff  Tongue
Mikewalsh
Grafter

Hi Alastair,
Thanks for your input but Mand gave me the same message on the 19th - I lived in hope but here I am still on 131kbps with my router showing 5.9MB with 40 db att, I haven't done a BT test just yet  as I suspect Mand may now have nudged the profile. I note that other users are suffering speed drops very recently and wonder whether there may be some sort of DLM problem?Huh
Time will tell - I have only been waiting a mere 9 days! Another hour or so is not a problem - will post at about 21.00 with a BT Speedtest but I am not as confident as Mand that there will be an improvement.
Cheers
Mike
Mikewalsh
Grafter

Sorry Mand whatever you did - didn't happen. Your systems and BT's do not seem to be linking properly in my case.
The test results show a 5985 connection speed  with a 120 throughput, max of 250 and an IP profile of 135
My router is showing the same attenuation (40dB). Upload is 369.
Back to the DLM drawing board!
Rgds
Mike  Roll_eyes
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Does a BT speedtest still show an IP profile of 135kbps