cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unusably slow broadband

elisabethc
Hooked

Unusably slow broadband

After coming back from a holiday (didn't switch off) my broadband has become unusable i tried switching off last week  and again tried resetting the router this week but no change. i am sure my broadband speed has been reduced for some reason getting 0.2 upload and download very frustrating.

- Product name: Plusnet Router 2 - Serial number: N7180361B003305  3 - Firmware version: 7.275.11_F2704N_Plusnet 4 - Board version: F@ST2704N 5 - Mode ADSL 6 - Uptime: 0 days 18:13:57 7 - Data rate: 444/160 8 - Maximum data rate: 688/1404 9 - Noise margin: 14.8/12.1 10 - Line attenuation: 28.0/49.0 12 - Data sent/received: 16.1M/104.4M 20 - Broadband username: ecroft7@plusdsl.net 21 - Wi-Fi network/SSID: PLUSNET-PCTF6F 22 - Wi-Fi connections: Enable(802.11 b/g/n(up to 144 Mb/s))20 MHz WPS enabled 23 - Wi-Fi security: WPA2 24 - Wi-Fi channel: Automatic (Smart Wireless) 25 - Firewall: Default 26 - MAC Address: 34:6b:46:8c:4a:bb 27 - Software variant Version 1.0 28 - Boot loader: 7.275.11

Help would be appreciated

Thankyou

14 REPLIES 14
MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Re: Unusably slow broadband

Sorry to hear your speeds have dropped.

It looks like this is due to your connection having had multiple drops as shown below

As a result of this the exchange restricts your speeds to try and make the connection stable again.

Our tests are also showing what's known as a 'High Resistance' fault in the property which can sometimes be a internal issue.

Can you go through the steps here and let us know how you get on?

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team
elisabethc
Hooked

ok laptop is plugged into master phone line i only have one nothing else is plugged into this i have a filter on which was supplied by you.The phone line hasn't had any problems before it sounds a little noisy but has dial tone and calls are coming in ok

elisabethc
Hooked

Also forgot to say don't have a test socket for the phone

OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 65

Hi @elisabethc

I've checked into your line and can see that due to the error that @MatthewWheeler had detected, some automatic settings had kicked in, thus reducing your speed to 288kbps.

I've overridden these settings and, following a router reboot, you should notice your speeds pick back up.

Just as a side note, are you able to get a picture of your socket set up over to us, so we can confirm that it is indeed the master socket currently in use?

elisabethc
Hooked

Hi

it is definitely master socket

DSCF1207.JPG

elisabethc
Hooked

Download 1.1 and upload 0.4 at the moment following reboot so slight improvement will this continue to improve over next couple of days.

thanks

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Thanks for that and we're really glad to see that there's been some improvement. If you do run into further issues with this could you please try connecting into the test socket just to see how the speeds compare whilst connected into there? https://goo.gl/ci7QtV - Adam 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
elisabethc
Hooked

I have replied by email but i will do it here as well.My download speed has dropped back down again around 0.4 upload about 0.3 which is still nowhere near good enough.The pic above shows my master socket i believe these type don't have a test socket only the ones with a split face.(This is definitley the master socket not an extention), so i can't test through test socket.

Thankyou

HarryB
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 256

Sorry to hear you're still experiencing problems with this, at this point if you've already been through our troubleshooting guides Here, I'd recommend reporting a fault over a https://faults.plus.net so we can get this raised with our suppliers for further investigation.

If this ultimately ends up requiring an engineer appointment, it wouldn't surprise me if the engineer replaces the master socket with a more up to date socket with a test socket behind the faceplate.

Harry Beesley
 Plusnet
elisabethc
Hooked

Engineer was supposed to come yesterday didn't turn up any employees on to rearrange engineer so i don't have to wait on phone thankyou

OskarPapa
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 65

Hi @elisabethc ,

I've checked into the account in question and can see that you have everything well in hand.

Please let us know if you need anything else.

elisabethc
Hooked

Just to let everyone know who may be reading this my problem seems to have been sorted.I had 3 engineers come.

no 1 - changed master socket

no 2 - changed phoneline between my house and pole

no 3 - went up to cabinet at top of road and had to replace some corroded parts

Everything seems to be ok now

RealAleMadrid
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 59

Sounds like BT Openreach doing their usual efficient service, 3 engineer visits when the first one should have fixed it.Angry

MatthewWheeler
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 480

Glad to hear the saga is finally resolved.

Let us know if you have any further issues

Matthew Wheeler
 Plusnet Help Team