cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unusable speeds, timeouts & disconnects after returning from vacation

chrisharkins1
Dabbler

Unusable speeds, timeouts & disconnects after returning from vacation

I've been away for 3 months and returned 2 days ago. I dunno the issue, but since switching the router back on my speeds have been fluctuating between slow and dial-up. To the point where websites are just constantly timing out.
It has sped up intermittently only to disconnect completely
I've went through all the usual checks.
here are my results

13 REPLIES 13
JayG
Pro
Fixes: 6

Re: Unusable speeds, timeouts & disconnects after returning from vacation

Check your PlusNet Current Line Speed (log in required) - it may still be asleep after your holiday.
chrisharkins1
Dabbler

Asleep?
It's coming up as 6.5meg
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

I can't find any obvious issues that'd be causing these slowdowns, so I'd suggest completing the faults checker so we can take a more detailed look.
Is it possible that any of your devices etc are updating/downloading updates in the background?
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
chrisharkins1
Dabbler

Faults checker?
Definitely not a case of downloading updates. Already checked that. Also tried my laptop at my mothers house (two streets away, also plusnet) and it was top speed
cedlor
Grafter

See the sticky at the top of the forum  - this one  http://community.plus.net/library/broadband/broadband-faults-guide-i-have-a-fault/
Do the top bit then screoll down to where it says how do I report a fault
I think that is the one he means
Chris
Legend

Sorry, yes. From the look of the account you'd started the faults checker already at https://faults.plus.net - if you can complete that we'll pick this up.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
chrisharkins1
Dabbler

Any further forward with this?

This is a nightmare. I kept paying this while I was away to avoid hassle when I got home, yet I've ended up with completely unusable broadband for a week. It's took me 10 minutes just to get the page to load to post this
chrisharkins1
Dabbler

Anyone?..................
Bueller?..................
cedlor
Grafter

Did you complete the faults checker as Chris asked in post 12?
How do I report a fault and what will Plusnet do to resolve it?
"In the first instance, it is really important that complete the above checks. Once complete, it would be best completing the Broadband Fault Checker. Our Faults Team will then take a look at the condition of your line from when you reported the fault to us. We can see information such as:..........."
Post the full stats from your router - have you tried the silent line test 17070 option2  with a corded phone
Are you connect by ethernet to the router and is the router connected to the test socket
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Quote from: cedlor
Are you connect by ethernet to the router and is the router connected to the test socket

.....to the test socket via a filter Wink
Have you tried another filter btw? Is everything plugged in via filters?
chrisharkins1
Dabbler

Yeah, I completed the faults checker
I did everything bar the thing with the wired phone because i dont have one
Tried a different router, a different splitter, ethernet via test socket, updated firmware on router. Everything. To no avail
Speed did jump up to six meg for about half an hour earlier. But it's right back to 0.1meg now
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Do you have a cordless phone then? If you have no phone at all, you need to borrow one, preferably corded or buy a cheap corded one, to check the phone line for noise. If the line is noisy, and it may be intermittent that will mess up the broadband in the way you are describing and you will need to report a phone fault if there is noise (not mentioning broadband).
Chris
Legend

There have been a fair few drops over the last week or so.
The line is in sync at Speed:  448 8128
Errors are extremely low, mean time between errors very high. Really good quality line. IP Profile is at 7000 (I'd expect this to increase very slightly to 7150 over the next few days).
Your exchange does have quite a few 'hot' paths, but the one you're on isn't showing any congestion at all.
I'm going to have to let our faults team look in to this further as I can't see anything causing the problems.