cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

'Unsolicited' (?) Traffic

jack21
Grafter

'Unsolicited' (?) Traffic

I've noticed that my router, which is set to disbar any unsolicited incoming traffic, reports loads and loads of such unsolicited attempts whenever I access the Plusnet Forum, but not when I just access the Plusnet site in general. The router log can fill up within 10 minutes with attempts from 212.159.14.12, .142 and .143  (Plusnet servers?) when using the Forum.  I'm not sure just how long this has been happening since I only recently reset the router to email me whenever the router log filled up.......If I don't use the Plusnet Forum, then the router log takes almost all day to fill up with intrusion attempts, but if I'm using the Forum, then it fills up within 10 minutes.
As far as I can tell, my usage of the Forum isn't hampered in any way by these rejected attempts.
I curiously wonder why I should be experiencing all these events, and whether anyone else has noticed the same occurrence.
6 REPLIES 6
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: 'Unsolicited' (?) Traffic

Could this be all the avatars and sigs not to mention Pierre's posts with pictures.
In many of those cases links to external sites are used and this may well be the cause.
I remember the same thing with the Kaspersky Forums when I had my software firewall set to report anything
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Those IPs are all our community servers - the connection attempts will most likely be checks to see if you're still online (for the list at the bottom of the main forum page). I'll double check that for you though, in the meantime do the router logs mention on which port these attempts were made?
jack21
Grafter

Hello Orbrey,
There seems to be a wide range of ports targeted, including 3076,3941,4099,10244,11400,12705,14515.... and at times they can occur every second or so.
Jack
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Jack,
I'm talking to the web team now in order to find out a bit more about this. I'll be back shortly with more info.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Jack,
Thanks for the logs, I've had a look and nearly every connection request on there is from the community servers on port 80 so it's exactly what I thought - a check to see if you're still online. There certainly isn't anything on there to worry about.
Hope that helps,
jack21
Grafter

Thanks Matt, thats reassuring. Just a further question -  are the are-you-online checks scheduled to be every second or so (and which port in the first instance do they want to use), or is it the fact that the checks don't get thru my firewall that make them repeat...repeat...repeat...  so quickly?
Cheers,
Jack