cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unsatisfactory wifi performace.

Highlighted

Unsatisfactory wifi performace.

I was with BT for a number of years before I changed to Plusnet in 2018.  I am reasonably IT literate and so I know Plusnet use BT as their provider plus I am wise enough to know that WiFi signal strength and quality will diminish with distance and is impacted by structures.

I think it's fair to say that the broadband and phone have been fine, other than an odd issue at the exchange, but not so with the WiFi. Also, I have 3 Open Reach cabinets right outside my house.

I have raised this wifi issue a number of times with Customer Services which eventually did provide a new router in attempt to resolve the problem. Which it didn't. So then more recently they suggested I get a powerline adapter or a BETTER router. 

We have two windows laptops, an iphone 7, almost new ipad and a Galaxy S7 phone.The Wifi in general works ok, not great just ok, but not so with my wife's Apple devices. I can be sitting next to her with my S7 and she will struggle to get a Speedtest connection yet I can get a reading of say 20mbs. If we are in the same room as the router I can get 60+mbs on my laptop but she will only get 30+ mbs on her ipad

I have turned off the 5G frequency on the router plus I reboot the router when we are having problems. Sometimes it helps but most times it doesn't.

I believe the issue is interoperability.

The amount of aggravation, stress, upset, frustration and dissatisfaction with the situation has lead me to here.

Help please.

2 REPLIES 2
Highlighted
Hero
Fixes: 117

Re: Unsatisfactory wifi performace.

@geoffb22  Welcome to the forum.

If your WiFi was previously fine with BT then do you still have your BT modem/router? These can be set to work with Plusnet. Many of us use a BT Smarthub 6. These work on both ADSL and fibre.

Setting instructions are here. https://community.plus.net/t5/My-Router/Using-the-BT-Smarthub-6-on-a-Plusnet-Account/m-p/1587673#M85...

These can be picked up very cheaply from auction sites such as EBay.

Highlighted

Re: Unsatisfactory wifi performace.

Hi,

Thanks for the reply.

The BT wifi was uniform, but uniformly bad. At or near the router it would run at say 50+mpbs but if you went maybe 20ft away into the lounge you got about 2mb or less. That was one of the main reasons why I switched.

While the Plusnet signal strength can be much better its all over the place. I did some tests in our bedroom which is directly above the room with the router. Now it very often runs at 50+ but just look at the differences in speed tests done literally 1 min apart.

Given the disparity in the speeds I think you can see that it would be useless.