Did you mean: 

Unreliable ADSL2+ Connection

FIXED
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Re: Unreliable ADSL2+ Connection

Those SNRM figures are all over the place. Is this with a Plusnet hub one? If yes, then it’s a BTHH5a which is good news as router stats lite will work with it. See the link below.

It would be most beneficial to plot SNRM profiles and line speed. Such should provide evidence that there’s a fault somewhere.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

archerry
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

@Townman 

No, since Message 18 I have been connected through my BT Business Hub5 which runs Openwrt. I have yet to rebuild my network to avoid the conflict caused by BT using one of the private IP ranges.

Is there a way to collect the SRNM Vs Line speed automatically, or do I have to manually record it and plot on a spreadsheet?

Edit: Reading the linked Kitz forum thread on the RouterStats package. I think I have Wine on one of my boxes.

archerry
Aspiring Pro

I have not been able to get routerstats or routerstats-lite to work with my modem/routers. I have tried my BT Business Hub5 running OpenWRT, the Asus DSL-AC68U and the Plusnet Hub One (both running their respective manufacturer's firmware).

I cannot get past setting up noise margin and speed locations.

Both packages seem to start ok under Wine, Routerstats-lite states "But please note that RouterStats-Lite will only work with routers which have a separate popup login authentication dialogue box." Non of mine use this feature.

I am not sure what to try next to record the DSL statistics.

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

RouterStatsHub will work with the Hub One, make sure to follow the  instructions in configuration information.

jab1
Legend
Fixes: 254

@Browni Would the OpenWRT firmware cause any problem? - Just asking, because I know nothing about it.

John
Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 73

Hi,

You need Routerstatshub 5a for a Plusnet Hub One, it does work in wine.

http://vwlowen.co.uk/RouterStatsHub/routerstatshub.htm

Dan

Browni
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 60

I've no idea John as I've never used it.
I have successfully used RouterStatsHub with a Hub One which is why I mentioned it as it hadn't been mentioned before.
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 254

@Browni Thanks, I just wondered.

John
RichardB
Seasoned Champion
Fixes: 39

It looks like routerstats lite accesses the routers xdsl stats via the routers http server url.
http://vwlowen.co.uk/internet/routerstatshelp/Support/routerstats-url.htm
The xdsl stats http server url will be different to the original firmware url, when OpenWrt is installed.
Vwlowen may be willing to customise routerstats lite.
http://www.vwlowen.co.uk/internet/betatesters.htm
archerry
Aspiring Pro

Thanks for your help.

I have now installed the Plusnet Hub One modem/router, and have RouterstatsHub 5 running on a tablet.

I suppose I need to keep the monitor running until after something interesting happens.

Regards,

Alistair

archerry
Aspiring Pro

This morning my company computer absolutely refused to connect (via a VPN) through the Hub One, so so I replaced with the HH5 running OpenWRT.

The RouterstatsHub 5 log and chart images (recorded over the weekend) are attached.

Over the weekend the connection seems to have been laggy, with web sites slow to respond. Today the connection has been down a few times, including one that caused the HH5 to reboot.

The phone line is crackly, and the noise is louder when listening to the caller, or the quiet line preamble message.

The current summary shows:

DSL Status
Line State: UP [0x0]
Line Mode: G.992.5 (ADSL2+)
Line Uptime: 1h 17m 30s
Annex: A
Profile: -
Data Rate: 20.518 Mb/s / 888 Kb/s
Max. Attainable Data Rate (ATTNDR): 20.960 Mb/s / 888 Kb/s
Latency: 5.75 ms / 8.0 ms
Line Attenuation (LATN): 13.8 dB / 6.4 dB
Signal Attenuation (SATN): 12.2 dB / 6.4 dB
Noise Margin (SNR): 10.6 dB / 11.9 dB
Aggregate Transmit Power(ACTATP): 19.9 dB / 9.9 dB
Forward Error Correction Seconds (FECS): 0 / 0
Errored seconds (ES): 818 / 23
Severely Errored Seconds (SES): 176 / 1
Loss of Signal Seconds (LOSS): 2 / 0
Unavailable Seconds (UAS): 195 / 195
Header Error Code Errors (HEC): 220780 / 250
Non Pre-emtive CRC errors (CRC_P): 0 / 0
Pre-emtive CRC errors (CRCP_P): 0 / 0
ATU-C System Vendor ID: Infineon 113.200
Power Management Mode: L0 - Synchronized

Regards,

Alistair
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

It does not help that there logs and plots are discontinuous, however the data does provide sufficient information to indicate that there is a probably line fault, as supported by your report of line noise.  The SNRM is 'all over the place'.

You would best be served by pursuing this as a phone line (POTS) fault.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

archerry
Aspiring Pro

Sorry @Townman , I didn't think to check the settings on my netbook to try keeping the package running.

Should I pursue the phone line noise issue through the call centre on the user website, or can a Plusnet staff member pick it up from here?

I do not want to 'double post' and miss something.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Staff might pick up on here. Suggest you use the phone fault reporter and specify intermittent noise. See the link below.

archerry
Aspiring Pro

For the last month the ADSL connection has been intermittently unreliable, but I haven't had the chance to report it or try changes.

The connection appeared to be changed from interleaved to fastrack about a week ago and has got worse again.

This morning has been particularly bad with frequent disconnects.

The quiet line reveals white noise, crackles, and strange machine generated tones. I tried the Plusnet phone troubleshooter and line test, which reported No Fault Found.

Attached are the BT Wholesale line test report, and an extract from the modem/router log and summary from earlier this morning.

Please help as we have two people working from home and a final year undergraduate trying to complete their course.

Regards,

Alistair