cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unpredictable connect to broadband - IP address problem? Or...?

HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Unpredictable connect to broadband - IP address problem? Or...?

Well spotted warmrain!
"CONNECTED DHCP LAN CLIENTS
Hostname    MAC Address    IP Address    Expires In
softmuse-xp6sia  00:e0:4e:20:a4:ce  87.112.38.220  0 hours, 0 "
is totally wrong!  Crazy
To be honest I'd loss the will to live wading through the stats and hadn't got that far.  Roll_eyes
Your PC is configured wrongly. If you set it to normal defaults in XP it will normally work fine without further action.
I suggest that you totally remove the network card and re-install via Device Manager if the recommended process doesn't work.
paulby
Grafter

@softmuse
This line suggests you may have problem on your PC preventing you connecting to your LAN rather than with the router connecting to PN:
When its not working, I can't get at the stats can I?

Also  87.112.38.220 is a PN IP address, suggesting that your PC has an IP already assignd - probably by dial up.  You can't access BB and dial up at the same time as PN will try to assign the same IP address to both connections giving you all sort of problems!
Bit of a daft question really but could you check the following out?
Have you gone into Internet Explorer >Tools >Internet Options>Connections (or Control Panel > Internet Options>Connections) and ensured that "Never Dial a Connection" is selected? 

The problems you describe can be caused when any other option is selected.
Also make sure under "Advanced" in the LAN settings that none of the boxes are ticked and that no proxies are entered.
If you've checked all that already, my apologies, but better to rule out the obvious first!

itsme
Grafter

The Dlink DSL-320B is a Ethernet modem. It has no router or NAT and the WAN IP address is passed through to the LAN. So the connected device, whether it's a PC or Router, will see the PN allocated IP address. The OP PC configuration is probably okay.
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: HPsauce
Well spotted warmrain!
"CONNECTED DHCP LAN CLIENTS
softmuse-xp6sia   00:e0:4e:20:a4:ce   87.112.38.220   0 hours, 0 "
is totally wrong!  Crazy
To be honest I'd loss the will to live wading through the stats and hadn't got that far.  Roll_eyes
Your PC is configured wrongly. If you set it to normal defaults in XP it will normally work fine without further action.
I suggest that you totally remove the network card and re-install via Device Manager if the recommended process doesn't work.

The Dlink DSL-320B is a Ethernet modem. It has no router or NAT and the WAN IP address is passed through to the LAN. So the connected device, whether it's a PC or Router, will see the PN allocated IP address. The OP PC configuration is probably okay
paulby
Grafter

Well spotted itsme!
The OP should still check that "never dial a connection"  is set though, as if the PC is attempting to use a dial up connection he'll get the problems he's cited.
HPsauce
Pro

I don't think the immediately previous posts are correct TBH.
Have a look here: http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/hardware/dsl320b.shtml
It looks like a normal DHCP-based LAN around the router on 192.168.1.1.
Anyone got a working one that can check.
(unless it's in Bridge mode I guess)
paulby
Grafter

@HPSauce
You're correct.
From the D-LINK manual ftp//ftp.dlink.co.uk/dsl_routers_modems/dsl-320b/dsl-320b_manual.pdf
"DHCP Client status
Your DSL-320B ADSL Modem is configured, by default, to be a DHCP server. This means that it can assign an IP address, subnet mask, and a
default gateway address to computers on your LAN. The default range of IP addresses the DSL-320B will assign are from 192.168.1.2 to
192.168.1.254. Your computer (or computers) needs to be configured to obtain an IP address automatically (that is, they need to be configured as
DHCP clients.)"

I think the OP should still check his dial-up status though - something's not right!
Perhaps he should also try a factory reset on the modem and set it up again?
itsme
Grafter

Please do not confuse DHCP with a NAT. I run a Netgear DM111 ethernet modem and it has similar seetings and options as the Dlink. The internet connection options that the Dlink has under the PPPoE/PPPoA  Internet Connection type my Netgear specify these as PPPoE bridging and PPPoA bridging. If full bridging mode is selected then the modem only sync with the exchange and pass all traffic to the device connected on the LAN side. So this device need to log on to the PN system.
HPsauce
Pro

Quote from: itsme
If full bridging mode is selected then the modem only sync with the exchange and pass all traffic to the device connected on the LAN side. So this device need to log on to the PN system.

Quote from: HPsauce
(unless it's in Bridge mode I guess)

However, this would not be normal, or default.
itsme
Grafter

My Netgear by default had PPPoE LLC VPI=8 and VCI=32!!!!!
Currently I'm running it in PPPoA bridging with a router connected to the LAN. The router is running in automatic DCHP configuration and the WAN status is below
Connection TypeAutomatic Configuration - DHCP 
Login Status    Connection Uptime 2 days, 2:20:40 
IP Address   x.x.x.205 
Subnet Mask  255.255.255.0
Gateway x.x.x.206 
DNS 1  212.159.6.9  DNS 2

The IP address is my static PN issued IP which is passed through by the modem. The gateway IP as issued by the modem is the same +1, don't understand why.
HPsauce
Pro

But how is Softmuse set up?  Wink
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Woa ...... talk about lighting the blue touch paper and standing well back!!
Well guys while there has been some interesting thoughts here, we need to turn that into constructive suggestions for the OP to logically work through.
@softmuse
I've re-read the thread and noted that you have the manual (sorry) and that the Status light should flash at ALL times. Edit: whilst part way through typing everything below it occurred to me that this isn't anything as daft as your Modem needs to be fully booted and running BEFORE your computer is booted (or at least got to the network stage of Bootup)! I'd leave the modem on at all times at the best sync speed you can get (see earlier post). If it's not a boot issue, read on.
As quoted by you on the stats and by HP from the manual, the DSL-320B ADSL Modem is configured, by default, to be a DHCP server, however warmrain's observation suggests 'something' is amiss. Perhaps a combination of Paul03 and warmrain's suggestions should be followed along with some other checks.
I would systematically work through everything. Check in Device Manager that the network card is installed correctly and the driver up to date. Check ALL you network settings on your computer and make sure that it is set to obtain the IP address automatically, DNS configuration is disabled, no proxies are set & Never dial a connection is set etc. Do a full RESET of your D-Link and work through all the settings manually (not using the wizard). Use your current settings PPPoA VCmux, VCI/VPI 0/38 etc as mentioned by Spraxyt, Default MTU (1400 for the time being) but make sure on the ADSL setup that the Idle time out is set to 0, p21/22 of the manual. Pay particular attention to the LAN setup on p25 of the manual. Make sure there are NO websites blocked, p28 of the manual. Obtain DNS automatically p29. Autosense and Bitswap Enable on p30. Hopefully after all that, it's sorted!
As an aside, further to my comments in the earlier post about Gateway hopping, I note there is a Connect button on the ADSL setup p21/22 whether this changes to 'Disconnect' once connected and running I don't know as I haven't the hardware to play with. It is particularly irritating if you have to reboot just to disconnect and reconnect to PN (you lose sync on a reboot). If you have to do this don't do it more than 5 times per hr. otherwise the exchange may think you have a problem and set you a higher target SNRM. Also, out of curiosity, when your connection is up and running OK I'd be interested in what the diagnostic o/p says (p34 of the manual) compared to what it says if/when you have a problem.
Well I don't know if all of our posts get your problem solved, I hope so, come back and let us know.
Regards.
HPsauce
Pro

Quote from: Anotherone
Check ALL you network settings on your computer

I would also add that you should check under "Network Connections" and remove any old/redundant entries. If you have used any dial-up modems or USB connections for broadband these will probably be there and causing confusion. Often there's an "internet connection" that is not required.
All that should be there is entries for real, physical network connections in you computer - e.g. the LAN card and maybe a firewire (1394) or similar adapter.
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: Anotherone
As quoted by you on the stats and by HP from the manual, the DSL-320B ADSL Modem is configured, by default, to be a DHCP server, however warmrain's observation suggests 'something' is amiss. Perhaps a combination of Paul03 and warmrain's suggestions should be followed along with some other checks.

With Ethernet modems if PPPoE or PPPoA bridging is selected the DHCP server can't be turned off. If full bridging is used then the user has a choice to use the DHCP server.
@softmuse is using the DHCP server as the following is from his modem status
Connected Clients
This page shows all the currently connected LAN computers or PCs.
CONNECTED DHCP LAN CLIENTS
softmuse-xp6sia   00:e0:4e:20:a4:ce   87.112.38.220   0 hours, 0
minutes, 57 seconds

As I have stated earlier it's normal for the WAN IP to be passed to the connected LAN device. When I first started using my ethernet modem I did have problems with internet connectivity where the modem lost connection with PN but it was still sync'ed to the exchange. It seem that the modem was not very good at reconnecting automatically after a disconnect, it will sync but would not or fail authentication with PN. So to get over this problem as I run email and web servers I place the modem in full bridge mode. In this mode the modem just sync with the exchange and pass all traffic to the connected LAN device. In my case this is a router and the router does the authentication with PN. The difference which I see with the IP address used by the router is that the gateway in bridge mode is PN gateway while in PPPoA bridging it's as I stated above my static PN address plus 1.  It the modem has no internet connection then the DHCP server will issue an IP in the 192,168.1.x range.
As softmuse have not replied to this thread for several days I'm assuming that the problem has been fixed or have gone away. If not my first point of call is to go to the modem status page to see if it has a internet connection.
itsme
Grafter

Am I out of my depth disagreeing with 3 Bright Sparks  Grin Grin