cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unexplained Usenet usage

jcpren
Dabbler

Unexplained Usenet usage

I've been looking at my broadband usage, and a large proportion (37%) appears to have been logged as Usenet.
Since I haven't used Usenet newsgroups in years, can anyone help explain why this might be? Could any other services be getting misclassified as Usenet - or can Plusnet analyse the logs further to help explain what's been going on?
Many thanks - John
25 REPLIES 25
Blim
Grafter

Re: Unexplained Usenet usage

I too have had Usenet usage but up until now I didn't even know what it was.
picbits
Rising Star

I'd consider changing your password on your wireless just in case a neighbour is hijacking it and using it to download unsavoury content from newsgroups ......
jcpren
Dabbler

@picbits - that's a fair point.
I'm not entirely sure it's the real explanation, since my usage logs seem consistently low (measured in KB) on the dates when I've been out of the house for most of the day.
However, today I've changed my wi-fi password, set up a list of allowed MAC addresses, and blocked outgoing traffic to common Usenet ports. Let's see what becomes of my usage stats next month...
jcpren
Dabbler

One idea that's occurred to me...
Is it possible that Skype calls are being categorised as Usenet for some reason? I do use Skype, but absolutely nothing is showing up in my usage breakdown for "broadband phone calls".
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

Based on past forum discussions, and my own experience, it seems to me unlikely that any inferences can be drawn from the Member Centre's 'View My Broadband Usage' charts.
I use Usenet and email daily, yet I don't recall seeing those categories show any recorded usage in over 4½ years.   Undecided
Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

Does using this forum count as Usenet usage?  I ask because my Usenet usage is shown as 10%.  I don't knowingly use Usenet but I visit this forum and others with a similar format.
Edit:  Oh wait, I have a news headlines gadget, perhaps that's it?
jcpren
Dabbler

(Edit: referring to your original message...)
I wouldn't expect so. From a technical point of view, it's served as a website rather than Usenet, and I don't imagine Plusnet have written software to examine the raw traffic and distinguish forums from other websites, only to mislabel them as Usenet.
npr
Pro
Fixes: 9

I think the usage type shown by PN needs to be taken with a pinch of salt Sad
Mine is showing 14% peer-to-peer, that's something I don't use so I haven't a clue what it's measuring but it's not file sharing p2p traffic.
IMO if PN can't get the traffic type correct then it should be removed from service. This sort of incorrect reporting can just cause problems for people.
Kelly
Hero

How much total traffic is there on your graphs?
Kelly Dorset
Ex-Broadband Service Manager
npr
Pro

Just started a new month today. It was around 10GB for last month when it showed 14% p2p.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

I think the usage type shown by PN needs to be taken with a pinch of salt

Having streamed a program using Iplayer in HD the other day, out of interest  I went to look at the usage about 1 hr later. All the actual usage was showing but it was classified as about 50% web and 50% BB phone calls!!. By the following day it seemed to have sorted itself out and was showing 90% Streaming and 10% Web. It would seem that it's initially being classified wrongly but then something sorts it out...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

jcpren
Dabbler

Quote from: Kelly
How much total traffic is there on your graphs?

Not sure if you're asking me, but I've attached the graph I'm seeing for a current total usage of 10.93 GB. No known Usenet usage at all.
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

These are my stats covering the c 5 GB I have used so far this month.  10% Usenet without knowingly using Usenet at all.  And all daytime usage despite frequently using the internet between 7 and 8 am.
Web 43% 18% 61%
Email 2% 0% 2%
Broadband phonecalls 1% 0% 1%
Gaming 0% 0% 0%
Streaming 21% 1% 22%
PlusNet FTP 0% 0% 0%
Peer-to-peer 1% 2% 3%
Usenet 10% 0% 10%
FTP (non PlusNet) 0% 0% 0%
Other 1% 0% 1%
Total usage so far 79% 21% 100%
jcpren
Dabbler

The high Usenet figure continues into my new billing cycle, even after I locked down my router as explained in reply #3 above.
I've raised a ticket asking for an explanation, and disputing my extra usage charge for last month. I'll keep you all updated with the result.