Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Understanding my connection

conanius
Dabbler

Understanding my connection

Hi All,
In the middle (day 2) of line settling, so appreciate there is a lot that can change.
I have an ADSL2+ 21C connection to my property wiht Plus.Net on an unlimited package. Line went live yesterday, and is giving speedtests in the 12-14MBit range.
On the Plus.Net site it says:
Postcode:Phone exchange:CHURCHDOWNEstimated line speed:8Mb (This may vary between 5.5Mb and 12.5Mb) - Checked on 2013-04-10 12:42:24Current line speed: 21 Mb
I appreciate that the line is trying to train, but is the 21Mb a target it is aiming for? I'd be absolutely delighted if I could get close to that
Also, my upload seems really, really slow (like 300kb) once I know the download speed, can I offer up download bandwidth to swap for some more upload? Also interested to know if I can get a fixed IP with plusnet (I used to VPN into my home connection when I was on my previous provider, but the upload was significantly faster (3MBit)
Yesterdays line stats from when I connected the modem:

Up Speed 448000
Down Speed 15616341
SNR Margin 6
Loop Att. 31
14 REPLIES 14
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Understanding my connection

Just ask for your upload to be uncapped - there will be no loss of download speed.
https://portal.plus.net/AddOns.html is where you need to go for fixed IP.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 155

Quote from: jelv
Just ask for your upload to be uncapped - there will be no loss of download speed.

Surely there is likely to be some loss of DS speed as uncapping US trades DS tones for US use.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Not on 21CN WBC, unless you are talking about Annex M, which does give some downstream bandwidth to increasing the upstream.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

To add to that - see http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/speed_guide/upload_speeds.shtml
Standard ADSL2+ gives upload speeds up to 1.3Mbps - Plusnet for some totally idiotic reason artifically cap new provisions at 448kbps and the user has to ask for it to be uncapped.
Annex M gives upload speeds of up to 2.5Mbps. It does take some download speed, costs a lot more and is only available on business accounts.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Jelv,
Thank you for the clarification.  I am on a business account and it was annex M I was thinking about when I posted the above comment.
Cheers,
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Hi conanius,
I've placed a modify order to uncap your upload speed, this will complete for you tomorrow.
I hope this helps.
conanius
Dabbler

Thanks for doing that Chris, I look forward to the upload increasing Smiley

Quote from: jelv
https://portal.plus.net/AddOns.html is where you need to go for fixed IP.

Thanks Jelv, just done the one off static IP request. I'll reboot my modem shortly to pick it up.
I've noticed there is this 'Pro' option for £5 extra a month. Is that basically just a QoS setup whereby at peak times I won't slow down as much, rather than me getting an even higher sync speed?
dick:quote
James
Grafter

I've noticed there is this 'Pro' option for £5 extra a month. Is that basically just a QoS setup whereby at peak times I won't slow down as much, rather than me getting an even higher sync speed?

To an extent. But only if the slowdowns are in our network. If the slowdowns are in the BT network, you won't benefit from this at all.
conanius
Dabbler

Ok fair enough. I'll see how i get on over the next few weeks and make a decision from there.
I've just run the BTW tests and got:
Download speedachieved during the test was - 13.35 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 4 Mbps-21 Mbps.
IP Profile for your line is - 13.9 Mbps

Upload speed achieved during the test was - 0.38Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 0.45 Mbps
It sounds like my upstream will get sorted tomorrow thanks to Chris, is it likely that 13.9 is going to be the limit of the line, and 21 was wildly optimistic as part of the initial sync? I'm very happy with 13.9, but if extra is available, I'd obviously take it !!
dick:quote
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 383

Loop Att. 31

With that attenuation your speed is about right. The 21Mb is the maximum possible on an ADSL line and so the PlusNet current line speed profile is set to that initially and then adjusts to the BT profile as it gets delta reports from the BT systems. 

conanius
Dabbler

Thanks for the detail. I've got a brand new line installed, adsl faceplate filter on the master socket, no internal extensions, and a draytek vigor 120 modem... Is there anything else I could be doing ?
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 383

Short of moving closer to the exchange, I don't think so Smiley
Unless fibre is available then you're about as good as you're going to get.

conanius
Dabbler

Hi All,
Turns out I might have been a bit of a fool with this !
I rebooted my modem several times over the first couple of days - to tidy wires, accidentally, because the authentication wasn't working initially, and to get my static IP.
From what I understand, this might have resulted in me getting a lower sync speed than I could possible get on the line.
The connection is absolutely rock solid, so do I risk asking to try and reset the connection to go faster, or just accept what I have? I guess the true test is finding out my modems sync speed and stats to see if there is much more left to give regardless?
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Hi,
You might consider doing a very controlled disconnect and reconnect.  Early morning would be best at least an hour after sun rise, but before any potential sources of electrical noise are active.
Log into the router, record your current line stats and then manually drop the PPP session.  Wait a couple of minutes, then power down the router.  Wait 10 minutes, then power up the router, log into the router and capture the new line stats.  You might find that you need to manually reconnect the PPP session.
Do not do this in rapid succession and do not do it any more than 5 time is a 24 hour period.  IIRC fibre does not have the same 10 day training period as does ADSL, so there is no merit in 'hanging around' for the conclusion of the 10 day training period.
HTH.