Upstream 888
Downstream 4774
SNR Margin(Upstream) 7.8
SNR Margin(Downstream) 10.2
Line Attenuation(Upstream) 26.8
Line Attenuation(Downstream) 45.5
I have a Billion Bipac 7800n router.
Current IP profile 3000.
Last evening the upstream and downstream SNR margins were both about 9.4. I haven't rebooted yet, but am about to, at 8.00a.m. and if the figures are significantly different I'll post them as well.
Just rebooted router and now getting
DSP Firmware Version  A2pB022g.d20h
DMT Status No Defect
Operational Mode ADSL2+
Upstream 888
Downstream 5329
SNR Margin(Upstream) 9.3
SNR Margin(Downstream) 9.3
Line Attenuation(Upstream) 26.7
Line Attenuation(Downstream) 45.5
At least with a downstream of 5329 my IP should go back up to 4500. Interesting that the two SNRs have gone back to being the same. I will probably leave it now for a few days to get the IP back up, and then see what happens. Another reboot at a later date may get the IP back up to the original 5000.
I'll keep an eye on this thread and keep updating when anything changes.
As an aside, the annoying thing is it took about a year of work by Plusnet via BT to get the steady IP of 5000!

jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Re: Uncapping upload speed

Do you think the variation in your noise margin is small enough to work with a target of 6? That would seem to be the best hope for an improvement.
I'd suggest you look at the noise margin mid-morning to middle afternoon to see if it rises much above the level when you rebooted. If it is it's worth another reboot as that should increase the sync speed further.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
ajbrown1965
Grafter

Before I uncapped my download SNR was usually around 6 and the upload about 21-22. At present they are 9.8 and 8.6 respectively. I'll keep an eye on them and might try a reboot.
ajbrown1965
Grafter

If anyone was following this thread here's an update. I persisted with the uncappped upload speed for a few weeks but my IP profile dropped for 5000 to 4000 and then 3500 and wouldn't go up. I could reset the router in the morning and the downstream speed to would go up to a level which would give an IP profile of 5000, but it was an unstable connection and by next morning it had dropped back to 4000 - 3500. Also the connection was dropping at random during the day. (Before having the upload uncapped my connection gad been rock steady for at least a couple of months.). Eventually I gave up and asked PN to have the upload cap put back on, which it was last Monday.
I appreciate that the system now has to go through its 10 day 'learning' process, but so far there is no sign of any improvement. On the contrary things are getting worse. Initially the IP profile dropped to 3500, with a download throughput of about 4400, which wouldn't change even when I rebooted the router at about 8.00 a.m. in the morning, or at other times during the day. The download SNR is hovering around 7 - 9 whereas it used to be about 5 - 6, and I used to find the higher figure gave a good increase in throughput speed on a reboot, but now there was no change. Also, the connection was dropping out overnight. Now the throughput has dropped to 3068 and IP profile to 2500. Reboots have no effect. At least last night it didn't drop out.
It harks back to a problem I had a couple of years ago when I went from an up to 2Mb connection to an up to 8Mb (I'm now on an ADSL2+ up to 20Mb, although distance from exchange etc. suggest a maximum of 5500, which I have had). The problem was that the BRAS had stuck at the 2Mb level. PN got on to BT and it was unlocked.
What I'm wondering is has the same thing happened? Should I wait until the end of the week when the 10 days retraining is over, or ask PN to investigate before then? As I mentioned before this is really annoying as it took about a year of major effort by PN and BT to get a stable line at 5000 - 5500 and now it all seems to have gone pear shaped!
Any suggestions or observations appreciated!
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

When you sync in daylight hours is the sync speed (what I think you are referring to as throughput) always the same value? Is that what you mean by "reboots have no effect"?
21CN has "banded profiles" and one of those is 1472-3072kbps. A sync speed of 3068kbps is at the top limit of that. Banded profiles are set by the (21CN) DLM to combat what it regards as flapping lines where higher sync speeds during the day can't be maintained at night.
The one thing the DLM needs to see is "stability". Re-syncing runs counter to that. You might be better off leaving things alone at the lower speed. In time the DLM may try a higher band (2272-4544kbps is the next one) or even remove it altogether.
David
ajbrown1965
Grafter

I think that is probably what has happened, i.e. the DLM has locked in. I agree that rebooting the router isn't going to help, and so I will leave it as it is for at least a few more days. As it stands line stability is good (it hasn't dropped out for 48 hours now) there is no noise on the line and the Internet works OK. Hopefully this will encourage the DLM to reset.
Will wait and see.