cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Uncap Upstream - Updated

HughA
Grafter

Uncap Upstream - Updated

I'm on ADSL1 on a 21CN exchange and my upstream sync is 448Kbps.  
Can my upstream be uncapped or is this only available on ADSL2+?
18 REPLIES 18
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Uncap Upstream

No, we can uncap the upstream for an ADSL1 connection. I've just preemptively placed an order for you that's due to complete tomorrow.
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
HughA
Grafter

Thanks Adam
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

If it has been necessary to put you on ADSL1 I'd be worried that uncapping the upstream may affect your downstream. I think you'll have to see how it goes and if it doesn't work out have the cap put back on.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
HughA
Grafter

Not sure I agree with you there Jelv.  The extra bit loading on the upstream channels shouldn't affect the downstream as far as I can see, they are totally separate.  However, if there is a problem I will revert to capped upstream
jelv
Seasoned Hero

I agree it shouldn't in theory - but I have seen ill affects from uncapping people with low sync speeds in the past.
Why are you on ADSL1 anyway?
Edit: Just gone looking at your old posts - 60db seems a pretty good reason!
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

As I understand it the possibility that uncapped upstream affects downstream is due to potentially increased crosstalk from uncapped upstream needing to operate at higher power. Nothing to do with tone range overlaps which as has been stated are absent.
David
HughA
Grafter

Yes, its a long line and I'm keen to get as much out of it as I can.  My downstream is 3168Kbps with 9db margin.  However a new drop wire and master socket were fitted recently which, together with a new router, seem to have cleared some long standing noise problems.  I'm wondering about getting my SNR margin reduced to 6dB to see if I can squeeze a bit more out of the line if it stays stable for another few weeks.
Good point about potential crosstalk problems spraxyt, I hadn't considered that.
jelv
Seasoned Hero

It might be worth seeing what you get on ADSL2/2+ again.
HughA
Grafter

I've never been on ADSL2/2+ even though the exchange was 21CN when I joined PlusNet last year, they put me straight on to ADSL1.  I doubt there would much improvement with my line length.
MakeTeaNotWar
Grafter

Sorry to hijack the thread, I was wondering if my upstream is capped too, however I am on ADSL2 and live not quarter of a mile from the exchange....
Since moving to ADSL 2 a few months ago though my upstreams been at a constant 44x, I was sure 21CN could do better?
ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Link Rate 21039 Kbps 443 Kbps
Line Attenuation 14.0 dB 6.8 dB
Noise Margin 3.0 dB 32.5 dB
jelv
Seasoned Hero

This previous post should help you:
Quote from: spraxyt
As you've realised your upstream speed is capped. Rather than waiting for Plusnet to change your service I suggest raising a ticket using the Help Assistant with path My Broadband Connection -> Other with the text "Please could you change my ADSL2+ service to uncapped upstream. I am aware this might have a small impact on downstream speeds.".

With your stats the upstream is going to be well over twice as fast.
HughA
Grafter

Interesting development this morning.  My line resynced, presumably as a result of the upstream being uncapped as requested, and the result was totally unexpected.  Upstream sync has DROPPED to 352Kbps and downstream sync has INCREASED to 3488Kbps.  Downstream SNR margin has dropped from 9dB to 6.8dB. Still on ADSL1 as expected. The bit loading graph on RouterStats shows a loading of 31 bits on tone 32, that can't be right can it?  Can anyone explain whats happened here?
EDIT.  Just noticed that some of the downstream tones show a bit loading of 1.  Doesn't this indicate ADSL2?  The router still reports G.992.1 though which I believe is ADSL1.
EDIT2. Bit loading graph is back to normal - must have been a reporting problem with RouterStats.
HughA
Grafter

Upstream Uncap Failed

On Friday Adam kindly put through a request to uncap my upstream.
On Saturday there was a resync which dropped the SNR from 9dB to 6dB.  This increased downstream sync to 3488Kbps but reduced upstream to 352Kbps.  This morning another resync occured increasing SNR to 11dB which reduced downstream to 2.752Kbps and increased upstream to 416Kbps.
Are these resyncs part of the uncapping process?  If so have I now started another training period or have I got a line problem?
jelv
Seasoned Hero

Re: Upstream Uncap Failed

I rather suspect you've confirmed that there is a very good reason why some lines should be capped. Have you tried with a different brand of router to see if that syncs better?