Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Uncap Upstream Please?

southerner
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Re: Uncap Upstream Please?

Tony - US does seem to be back to normal now. Thanks to Townman and yourself for that.
My only remaining concern is my DS. BT Speedtest-wise I was getting just over 17M DS before my line was reset on Friday then yesterday it had fell to 15M and today it was upto 16M. I also note my DS IP Profile is lower than it was. Is this something that might sort itself out? Is DLM maybe training my line again because of what has happened over the past few days?
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Was your target noise margin 3 before this all started?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
southerner
Aspiring Pro

Sorry I don't know the answer to that question.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

What was the noise margin immediately after a resync?
If you keep an eye on the errors and they are low and you have no loss of sync, you could ask for the target noise margin to be set to 3db which would give you extra speed.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
southerner
Aspiring Pro

I've been thinking this over.
After the line was reset a few days ago my router reported both an up and downstream Noise Margin of 6dB. Within 24hrs downstream had gone down to 5dB, upstream remained 6dB. Does the exchange adjust that from data collected from the router? Also I've been reading that it's good to start with a Noise Margin of 6dB on a regular line with no issues?
Previously when I was getting 17Mb downstream I remember seeing quite a few data errors in my BT Homehub 3. As part of this process I did actually replace my router (Broadband Troubleshooter made me think) with a Netgear DGN1000/N-150 and alas that router doesn't give data error stats, just the below. I guess I could put the Homehub back in to collect error stats but I'm weary of disturbing my connection again incase the exchange might knock me down even lower. Not really sure whether to leave well alone or carry on with this? Upstream speed is still a solid 1Mb. Downstream is just over 16Mb. Right at the beginning of this the Support guy I spoke to on the phone said my SNR was way too low and may be causing me issues with my Netflix streaming. The more I think about the Netflix issue of only getting '1080' instead of '1080 Super HD' now I suspect the app for Netflix on my BD player that Sony updated over air recently might be responsible.
ADSL Link Downstream Upstream
Connection Speed 20037 Kbps 1199 Kbps
Line Attenuation 11.5 dB 7.3 dB
Noise Margin 5.2 dB 6.1 dB
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 160

Hi Woodm,
The SRNM will vary depending upon prevailing conditions.  Noise is very rarely constant - it varies at least a little - if the noise goes up, the SNRM goes down, if the noise decreases, the SNRM goes up.
At the time of doing a resynch, the router will agree with the exchange the fastest speeds (US & DS) which can be attained at the TARGET SNRMS.  There after the reported SNRM will be variable.  The usual target is indeed 6dB - very good lines can get away with 3dB.
Good does not always mean short, just dependable.  For example my 50dB attenuated line though it runs a lot slower than yours, has maintained a xDSL session for 108 days at a SNRM of 3dB.
Hope that helps to explain?

Your line is doing much better than it was, but is still well shy of the 24Mbps the attenuation would lead one to expect.
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

southerner
Aspiring Pro

Hmm....My router disconnected and reconnected earlier around 6pm (always seems to do that around that time if that happens) and now my Synch Speed has dropped which shaved a little off my BTSpeedTest d/l. Also d/s Noise Margin back upto 6dB 😕 Line still clear as a bell audibly.
DownStream Connection Speed 19970 Kbps
UpStream Connection Speed 1208 Kbps
Line Attenuation 11.5 dB 7.3 dB
Noise Margin 6.0 dB 6.0 dB

Download speedachieved during the test was - 16.15 Mbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 4 Mbps-21 Mbps.
IP Profile for your line is - 17.62 Mbps
Upload speed achieved during the test was - 1.03Mbps
Additional Information:
Upstream Rate IP profile on your line is - 0.83 Mbps

You are approximately 347 metres from the exchange. Note that this is the straight line distance - the actual cable length will be longer!
southerner
Aspiring Pro

Just wrapping this one up. Happy with the results. Thanks to all for your help and advice.
1. Opted to stick with the Plusnet router as it seems to give me the best synch speed, holds a connection longest and with the aid of 'Routerstats' I can get really detailed stats of what's going on.
2. Had my d/s Target SNR set to 6dB as a good trade off between speed and reliability.
3. Moved my filter to my master socket and ran an RJ11 cable from there to my router cutting out the telephone extension cable as far as my router goes.

Link Information

Uptime: 0 days, 7:05:21
DSL Type: ITU-T G.992.5
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 1,276 / 20,091
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/GB]: 144.29 / 1.36
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.6 / 0.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 8.2 / 13.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 5.9 / 6.1
System Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / ----
Chipset Vendor ID (Local/Remote): BDCM / IFTN
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): -
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 7 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 3,568
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 1 / 7
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 1 / 37

Download speedachieved during the test was - 17.11 Mbps
IP Profile for your line is - 17.73 Mbps
Upload speed achieved during the test was - 1.04Mbps
Additional Information:
southerner
Aspiring Pro

Just wondered do high winds cause temporary noise margin increases causing you to get booted and reconnected with a temporray higher ds noise margin and lower synch rate?
southerner
Aspiring Pro

Fault raised. Getting worse for no reason.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Any update?

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

southerner
Aspiring Pro

@Townman - Yeah, has been quite stable for a couple of weeks now.
Think DLM was onto me due to a lot of equipment changes/moves around my end. In the end it had me up to a 9db d/s noise margin. Tony reset it back to 6dB for me. Held that nicely for a week or so then DLM must have liked it as it booted me and set it to 3db. Been up for going into 9 days on that. Sticking to the PlusNet router and running a circular twisted pair RJ11 to the filter directly in my master socket has certainly improved and stabilised things.
Uptime: 9 days, 1:33:30
DSL Type: ITU-T G.992.5
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 1,279 / 21,827
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [GB/GB]: 3.75 / 81.23
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.6 / 0.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 8.1 / 13.0
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 6.2 / 3.0
System Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / ----
Chipset Vendor ID (Local/Remote): BDCM / IFTN
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 27 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 3 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): -
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 1,876 / 1
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 41 / 1,837
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 36 / 17,197
Download speedachieved during the test was - 18.22 Mbps
IP Profile for your line is - 19.26 Mbps
Upload speed achieved during the test was - 1.05Mbps
Additional Information:
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Nice result.  Not quite the 24Mbps I had hoped for, but certainly better.
One last consideration - what version of firmware is the TG582n on?  10.2.2.B is the current one being shipped by PN.  It has a marked improved performance.  IIRC I have not had a single drop in xDSL since it was upgraded back in July.

southerner
Aspiring Pro

I'm on.....
Software Release: 10.2.2.B
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Cheesy good luck!