Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to send/receive mail all day

Jessica
Grafter

I get this error message when I attempt to send/receive mail. 
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v497/JessicaHart/pic1-1.jpg
Can any one help?
11 REPLIES 11
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

Re: Unable to send/receive mail all day

Hi Jessica,
Can you send OK now?
Does the problem still exists today? The error message you got usually happens when the servers are down or unaccessible for some reason.
Also woth checking that your OE settings are still OK especially if you've made any changes lately. On the main OE window select >Tools >Accounts>Mail and check the Properties details for each of the accounts.
PS. You can attach (a screen grab as) a jpg to a post by using the Additional Options button just below the Reply window (that's using the reply button rather than the quick reply box).
HTH
James
Grafter

Hi Jessica,
I've just tried to use something called Telnet to make sure that your account is working fine. Which it is.
I think your best first step will be to remove your account in Outlook Express and then recreate it using all the normal log in details.  Sometimes this happens in Outlook Express, but hopefully you're not having any further problems.
Our Technical Team will also be more than happy to help you if you'd like to give them a ring Smiley
Anotherone
Champion

Which script did you get that one from James Wink
Jessica
Grafter

Sorry about that.  It’s working OK this morning.  It’s my crappy firewall that’s causing the problem.  Every time I update the firewall program, it changes my setting and causes all sorts of problems for me.  I realised there was something wrong my end, when I couldn’t run ‘LiveUpdate’ for NAV2009 and some of my games.
Can any one recommend a good firewall program?

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Are you using a router or a modem? If you're using a router then you can probably do away with a third party firewall and just rely on the Windows one instead. I'd certainly recommend against any Norton product as in my experience they seem to cause more problems than they help resolve. I personally use the inbuilt windows firewall and Avira antivirus (which is free for personal use).

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

markrach
Grafter

I too have been unable to send any mails , its not the router (Same one) ,nothing has changed in the way of software / hardware on my desktop . very weird
Anotherone
Champion

Which Firewall are you currently using Jessica, it'd be nice to be aware of potential problems with which ever one it is?
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: Jessica
Can any one recommend a good firewall program?

I agree with Bob Pullen.
The firewall in your router plus that in Windows (XP or later) is fine alongside antivirus and antispyware.
I always use Windows Defender on XP (it's included in Vista and 7 anyway) for spyware.
Antivirus I prefer AVG or Avira or Avast.
As for Norton - it's over-engineered, over-complicated, goes wrong too often and when it does go wrong can be a nightmare.  Crazy
Jessica
Grafter

I’m using the SpeedTouch TG585 v7.0 (not sure what it is, modem I think).  My firewall program is the ‘free’ CoMoDo Firewall.  I can get the firewall program to allow emails, but ever now and again it starts blocking them again.  I don’t know why it’s doing this.  I’ve created a rule to allow emails, but CoMoDo seems to forget that.  I’ve started a thread on the CoMoDo support site to see if anyone there can help me.
Thanks guys.
Jessica
Anotherone
Champion

Hi Jessica,
thanks for the information, I'm going to give Comodo a try myself soon, just to see what it is like! You've done the right thing starting a thread with their support site, it's obviously something daft to do with updates, hope they find you a fix!
The TG585v7 is a modem/router and whilst what Bob says is right about getting protection from the router, I personally prefer 'belt and braces'.
And of course for anyone using a laptop, if you happen to go and use a wireless connection somewhere else, you may not have the protection you are used to if you haven't got something on your machine!
Let us know how you get on with Comodo support forum.
Jessica
Grafter

I’ll recommend CoMoDo to anyone.  When you first install it, it can be a pain in the bum.  It over-reacts to everything and anything.  It actually goes through a learning process, so the longer its running the better it gets.  It only pops up now when I install something new.