cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to login to cPanel web hosting control panel or SSH - Technicolor TG582n

prichardson
Grafter

Re: Unable to login to cPanel web hosting control panel or SSH - Technicolor TG582n

Hi Alk,
Looking through the post before your note that it is now working, my initial thought is that there was a little too much focus on the router being a cause.
I appreciate this was on of the few changes that occurred when you moved, but as your noted there was also the change of providers. This means a whole host of technology and topology changes.
Needless to say, there are more factors on our side being a possible source than there are in your own control (though there are still a few).
The good news is the service is now working which does limit some of the investigation we can do on the initial cause. Some suspects for the pile.
1: Default profile
When you first connected to us, we set your default speed profile on our side to 21000kbps. Your line is now set following the first update to us at 15000kbps.
In simple form, we will send upto 21Mbps at your connection, when it is only capable of 15.5Mbps. It's a little more complex than this, but this will exhibit symptoms of packet loss and speed reductions. At a service experience level, real-time applications will suffer more such as streaming, but real-time interactive applications (which SSH falls into) suffers the most.
This is the area I suspect is most likely be the cause. You noted that you saw speeds of 11Mbps and pings of 115ms.
Whilst you were trying to use SSH during the initial issues, can you confirm if there were any other activities on the connection, such as downloads, streaming or such?
2: Non-default port
Both your SSH and SSL (HTTPS) connections were using non-default port numbers.
Our traffic management platform works best when on the default ports for an application. Though it isn't restricted to these defaults as we implement application signatures that look at the application traffic too. These are not infallible though, but are very likely to capture both SSH and SSL in this case.
3: Gateway issue
One possible cause is an issue with one of our gateways. To be frank, this wouldn't be unheard of Wink
When you had the problems, you were connected to our gateway known as PTW-AG01, but now you are reporting it is ok you are connected to PTW-AG03. Logically, we could assume that there may be a problem with PTW-AG01.
We have two simple checks for this, one is to connect to the same gateway and test ourselves, the second is to look at other users connected to this gateway. I have checked other users and there is nothing to suggest they are reporting similar issues (though this is only a initial conclusion).
In honesty, I believe it was the fact your line was assigned too greater profile due to the default value, which triggers a poorer experience due to the increase pings and quite probably packet loss that you saw.
Alk
Dabbler

Re: Unable to login to cPanel web hosting control panel or SSH - Technicolor TG582n

Quote from: P
Whilst you were trying to use SSH during the initial issues, can you confirm if there were any other activities on the connection, such as downloads, streaming or such?

There was no other activity, apart from a Carbonite backup (which had been running for a number of days) which was uploading content at the time.
I very much appreciate your detailed reply to my issue.
prichardson
Grafter

Thanks,
My query was more download specific, but a completely saturated upstream could produce similar symptoms.
Is that upload rate restricted, or does it use as much as it can?
If as much as it can, I suspect you may have a cause. When you couple this with the possible packet loss from an incorrect profile, you create latency for the acknowledgement packets you connection needs to send. These Acks will also be requesting retransmits, which create their own delay.
These will certainly all combine and if you like, conspire to make a pretty awful experience.