cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to log onto work server from home

Mezzer
Hooked

Unable to log onto work server from home

I've been working from home for around 2 years and suddenly can't log into the work server. The techs from work used remote access to check for problems and could find nothing.  They concluded that the problem must be with Plusnet somehow blocking the port.  To check if this might be true I used wi fi in a local cafe and could log onto the work server fine.  Plusnet deny any problem as they "don't support port forwarding."   If this doesn't get resolved soon I might have to change service provider, as the only way to continue working from home  Any ideas?

12 REPLIES 12
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Unable to log onto work server from home

Hi Mezzer, sorry to see there's an issue. I can't think how port forwarding would be relevant to connecting into what I assume is a VPN? So I'm sorry if that's something that the agent you spoke with misunderstood. 

I can make sure we give you a second opinion on this so please feel free to drop a reply to ticket 178096903 on your account with details of what you're trying to connect into and how before dropping us a response back here. 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
Mezzer
Hooked

Thanks. I've just responded.
Mezzer
Hooked

The issue now appears to have been resolved by question 178111484. I spoke to one of your agents and he suggested removing the front plate of the main socket and plugging in a separate ADSL filter. This worked and I can now connect to my work server. 

Thanks

Waz
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Thank you for your response.

I have updated the ticket 178096903 on your account and provided the next steps to take to address the issue. Let us know how you get on with this.

Mezzer
Hooked

This issue has not been resolved after all.  A replacement ADSL filter worked for a while, but doesn't anymore. 

Alex
Community Veteran
Fixes: 13

@Mezzer

Are you confident you don't have a fault on the line - basically is your issue just connecting to work and not occurring elsewhere on the internet?

May be best to keep this to a PM, as it'll contain personal information about yourself and work but would be worth notifying someone (a staff member I mean) the following:

What VPN client are you are using?
If you know the server it uses to authenticate and connect, try and give a tracert to it.

Mezzer
Hooked

Thanks Alex.  Yes, the issue is just connecting to work and not occurring elsewhere on the internet.  Will try as you suggest.

Alex
Community Veteran

Forgot to metion, don't know if PlusNet still do this. It could be old news now.
Make sure PlusNet Firewall (as I say if they still do it) is disabled.

Also anything on the PC, such as AV software.

Though to be honest, your issue is strange in that it was fixed temporarily by new hardware which would suggest the problem is physical.

You may need to try some more tests on your line to try and find out the cause. Tracert's, speed tests of course. Also I've never used it but I've heard of Wireshark but is really helpful for PlusNet in addressing connection problems. If that is applicable in your case a member of staff I am sure can guide you through it.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 393

This might be a long shot, but I wonder if this is another case of some VPN Clients/servers not working with some PN public address ranges. I'm thinking that the change of ADSL filter fixing the problem may have been a red herring. It will have caused a resynch and MAY have allocated a different public IP. A subsequent resych for some reason MAY have given one back in the troublesome range.

@Mezzer do you have the information that @Alex requested

What VPN client are you are using?
If you know the server it uses to authenticate and connect, try and give a tracert to it.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Alex
Community Veteran

Thanks @MisterW

You could be right, or whether the Geolocation of IP addresses may be wrong, as we know they all work well (cough).

PlusNet could try switching you to a static IP as a temporary measure to see if it makes any difference. That's if you're on dynamic of course. Your work may have a policy which blocks certain ranges if they think you are abroad for example. Worth checking with IT and their policies, also do they have any server logs which give more information as to why your attempts are failing. I would ask for those from the sysadmins, inform them of your problem and say "It is okay if I provide this information to my ISP". 

Also PM a member of staff with your current IP which isn't working. Easy way to get that is a site like www.whatismyip.com

Mezzer
Hooked

Alex & MisterW - you were both right.  It turned out to be IP address related - our work server was blocking me.  The solution was to be allocated a VPN and then log on. 

Thank you both!

adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Thanks for the update Mezzer, I'm glad to see that's been resolved. - Adam 

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team