cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to connect via upstairs phone line

Zasps
Grafter

Unable to connect via upstairs phone line

Plusnet Value Broadband. Desktop PC upstairs. Master phone socket donstairs, second phone line upstairs. Filters fitted to both. The filters work, because I've tried swapping them. The phone works fine upstairs.
Web works fine when connected downstairs, but it won't work upstairs. Tried an USB modem and this ethernet router, and neither will work. I really want to use the PC upstairs! Thing is, up till last August I was with a different ISP, and I had no problems with them during three years.
So, could the signal from Plusnet be too weak to work on the second line? Or could there be some other problem? I am baffled...........
3 REPLIES 3
Wheel_nut
Grafter

Re: Unable to connect via upstairs phone line

Some Questions:
1) Is the Phone point downstairs an NTE5 plate with a removable faceplate?
2) How is the extension connected to the Master socket? Is it wired to the inside of the Faceplate?
It would seem that youe extension upstairs is plugged into a filtered outlet downstairs.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Your ISP will not make any difference as both will be using BT for the connection between your house and the exchange - that is what determines the signal.
Irrespective of what is causing your problem, the best solution would be to have the router downstairs and then run a CAT 5e ethernet cable upstairs to the PC.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
Zasps
Grafter

Thanks for the replies. Sorted it. Had the upstairs phone wired through two filters, lol, so you were right. Running beautifully now! Am happy.