Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to connect to the office network via VPN, need PNP/VPN Trucking enabled

honeytrippers

Unable to connect to the office network via VPN, need PNP/VPN Trucking enabled

Hi,
Wondered if anyone can help.

Just switch from SKY to PlusNet for the static IP address today, but I'm unable to  connect to the office network via VPN.

Have spoken to the IT Team at work and they inform me that....
"you need your ISP to ensure the routing for PNP is enabled, PlusNet are known to not enable VPN trucking as standard."

Have spoken to the Technical Support on the phone and the poor guys had no idea what I was talking about.

Thanks in advance

Regards,

Keith.

9 REPLIES 9
pjmarsh
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 20

Re: Unable to connect to the office network via VPN, need PNP/VPN Trucking enabled

I've never heard it put like that before!  My only suggestion would be to see if the Broadband Firewall is blocking it.  I think you'd need it set to "Low" for VPN to work.  I can't remember what the default is on new accounts now.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Re: Unable to connect to the office network via VPN, need PNP/VPN Trucking enabled

Just switch from SKY to PlusNet for the static IP address today,

Do you actually have a static IP ?

If its a residential account, then you need to request one and pay the one-off £5

If its business account , then I think you still need to request one but its free.

Some VPN implementations don't seem to like some of the public IP ranges that PlusNet use for dynamic IP's

"you need your ISP to ensure the routing for PNP is enabled, PlusNet are known to not enable VPN trucking as standard."

Sounds like rubbish to me...

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

honeytrippers

Hi Pjmarsh,

Thanks for the reply
I turned off the firewall no joy.

honeytrippers

Hi MisterW,

Thanks for the reply 

Yer, paid the £5 for a static IP address for my home account.

I suspect the PNP/VPN trucking is the issue, as when I connect to the VPN successfully,but have no internet or network connectivity through it and the VPN remands connected, when I disconnect the VPN  internet/network returns.

The VPN as worked fine for the last year or so on the SKY broadband as well as for the other 60/70 employees using it every day, so don't think it's anything at the office end. 

I previous encountered problems for other issues, like with the uses of PPP and PPPoE where the setting of the wrong protocols prevents access.

Protech
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 5

@honeytrippers you may need to reboot the router, or drop and reconnect the connection to enable the firewall changes to take effect, I have had to do that in the past .

Just to add I've been using various VPNs with Plusnet both on ADSL/VDSL for over a decade without needing any changes to be made by the ISP. However I have had to enable port clamping on some routers, there are multiple ways to set up VPNs .

It may help to get the exact settings required for the VPN from your IT department to see if you need to make any changes to your router, local firewalls or client configuration.

You can check out but you can never leave ( easily)
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

you may need to reboot the router, or drop and reconnect the connection to enable the firewall changes to take effect, I have had to do that in the past .

You also need to drop and reconnect to get the static IP allocated.

I suspect the PNP/VPN trucking is the issue,

Never heard of it! Like @Protech ive been running VPNs over the PN network for years.

honeytrippers

Hi everyone 

Thanks for the replies and the tip on rebooting the hub for the firewall settings to take effect.

It was the firewall, once it was disabled, I had network access on the VPN.

The only question is, what are the possible consequences of having the firewall disabled on the router?

Regards,

Keith.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

The only question is, what are the possible consequences of having the firewall disabled on the router?

Its not the firewall on the router, that's still enabled. Its a supplementary Firewall on the PlusNet gateway, that allows you to prevent any unsolicited incoming traffic even reaching your router. Problem is that when running a VPN, certain traffic needs to be allowed

Dan_the_Van
Aspiring Hero
Fixes: 73

Hi @honeytrippers 

Its a supplementary Firewall on the PlusNet gateway, that allows you to prevent any unsolicited incoming traffic even reaching your router. Problem is that when running a VPN, certain traffic needs to be allowed

For clarity the firewall being referred to is here ---> https://www.plus.net/member-centre/broadband/firewall

Dan.