Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to connect to a network drive

FIXED
ywlgy
Fixes: 1

Unable to connect to a network drive

Hi, my university has a network drive that I can connect to when off-campus over VPN. Now on the same laptop, with Three tethered WIFI and VPN I can connect to the network drive without problems. But with Plusnet's WIFI and VPN, it says 'the network path was not found'. The CS was of no help, simply saying the website (he had no idea what a network drive is) is not secure so router blocked it. 

5 REPLIES 5
ywlgy

Re: Unable to connect to a network drive

Fix

Problem solved.

The default DNS could not translate the domain name of the network drive. Changing it to Google's DNS solved the problem. Poor customer service

Beyhive
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 44

Hi @ywlgy,

Glad to hear the issue has now been rectified.

Apologies for your customer service experience, our technical team would not normally deal with VPN issues as it is beyond their support remit however feel free to get back in touch on this platform with any similar issues.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Faris
 Plusnet Help Team
ywlgy

The problem had nothing to do with VPN but your DNS server.

It seems Plusnet's CS team has a common problem, i.e. jumping straight to conclusion before fully understanding the customers' needs. First saying a legitimate website being unsecure to shut the customer up and now covering up for colleague by using a totally wrong excuse. What a 'fab' team.

Beyhive
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 44

Hi @ywlgy,

Sorry to hear you feel this way but I can assure you that I was not trying to cover up for my colleague. I was just stating the fact and the expectation that it is outside the technical team remit to support VPN issues as our responsibility as a provider is to provide an internet service to your property and from what we understand, your broadband was working fine. If your University has an issue with our DNS then it is not something we can fix and our technical team are not trained on such things. You would need to contact your University to get this looked into or you can always seek help on this community forum and we would be more than happy, along with many forum users who have had similar issues, to advise you on how it can be fixed.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Faris
 Plusnet Help Team
ywlgy

Again, VPN is not relevant here. I didn't even mention it in online chat with CS.

Google's and my previous ISP's DNS can resolve the domain name but yours cannot. Certainly it is a problem of your DNS and why on earth my university has anything to do with the problem?

Now the problem is solved. I am just not happy about the online chat rep's wrong and misleading answer 'the website is unsecure so router blocked it'. He could've just answered he had no idea about it and I would not blame him.