Unable to connect - AGAIN!!!!!!

itsme
Grafter

Re: Unable to connect - AGAIN!!!!!!

It's because Slough is a core node http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/21cn_nodes.htm
WWWombat
Grafter

But a look at Kitz's page on 21CN Network Topology shows that the 21CN core nodes are either fully meshed (for the 8 inner core), or are connected to at least 3 of the inner core (for the 12 outer core).
A simple cable cut doesn't take out such meshed interconnects... so it probably is the other thing that Bob has heard about.
Of course, it is outages like this that teach those bright network planners just where the next single point of failure is. My career experience in the telecomms world tells me that the datacomms world doesn't always manage the same level of reliability. It's getting better... and you learn by your mistakes.
Plusnet Customer
Using FTTC since 2011. Currently on 80/20 Unlimited Fibre Extra.
hazzamon
Grafter

Just got back home after working a night shift and checked my router logs...
Thu, 2011-03-31 03:24:49 - Initialize LCP.
Thu, 2011-03-31 03:24:49 - LCP is allowed to come up.
Thu, 2011-03-31 03:25:49 - Initialize LCP.
Thu, 2011-03-31 03:25:49 - LCP is allowed to come up.
Thu, 2011-03-31 03:26:50 - Initialize LCP.
Thu, 2011-03-31 03:26:50 - LCP is allowed to come up.
Thu, 2011-03-31 03:26:59 - CHAP authentication success

Huzzah! I am back in the land of civilisation!  Cheesy
...for the time being, anyway...  Roll_eyes
taras
Grafter

Regardless of what happened(yes it does matter but in the grand scheme of things)  last night, 3 things are quite clear.
1. BT well openreach needs back up supernodes/ras centres even if its just two, sot that it can redirect traffic.
a) on that note the south of England will go belly up on slough and some of the london super-nodes ... That to me is piss poor planning. They really need more super nodes and some redundancy on the nodes .
2. Actuall truth to the public from bt/openreach as again, information was hard to come by.
3. Open reach needs to be split from BT as quickly as possible .. I think the initial openreach idea was a good one but never went far enough and it should be fully separated from BT.
Martha
Grafter

Just thought I'd bump in this forum here, In case you've not seen Bob's most recent update (http://portal.plus.net/supportpages.html?a=2)
Looks like people are slowly starting to get back online Cheesy
Now, Time to go to bed, Night shifts and broken internet makes for a stressful night!
Hope you all get back on OK. Smiley
itsme
Grafter

Quote from: taras
3. Open reach needs to be split from BT as quickly as possible .. I think the initial openreach idea was a good one but never went far enough and it should be fully separated from BT.

Prices will increase as shared resources, training, equipment and admin will not be available. Most of it down to public perception. When tasks are issued to specific engineers they don't know if the end user is a BT or a LLU customer. They don't care. The only area which the public see is when it was one company under BT then the engineers would appear more helpful to the public comments like 'I also having problems'  and they would investigate. They will not do this now as they are only allowed to work on reported faults so that they can't be accused of preferential treatment.
taras
Grafter

I can't see how prices would increase, if anything we would see a lowering of pricing and probably faster products available.. Much of the stalling has been BT politics internal and external.
If oppn reach was a fully seperate company, again it wouldn't care who it was dealing with as its the network it deals with and its clients .
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Why has nothing appeared about this incident on the Usertools BT Major Service Outages page?
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI jelv,
Bob's already answered that one here.
Jojo Smiley