cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Unable to access A Specific Website

Tempting
Grafter

Unable to access A Specific Website

Can someone give me some ideas please. I am trying to access www.norwegian.com the website of the airline. I can not access the website using my home Plusnet connection on PC, laptop or mobile but can happily access it using a different internet connection.

downforeveryoneorjustme.com says the website is up but I get 'destination host unreachable' when trying to ping the website and 'www.norwegian.com took too long to respond' when trying to browse to it.

I've rebooted the router of course, and have tried changing DNS (8.8.8.8) but still can't ping or browse the website.

The website was reachable fusing my Plusnet home connection as recently as approximately 3 weeks ago.

I've not found any other website which I cannot access and this is quite important as I need to check in and print boarding passes on Friday morning, I haven't got time for my connection to be temperamental.

Anyone got any ideas please?

33 REPLIES 33
Tempting
Grafter

Re: Unable to access A Specific Website

Alternate DNS that I have tried should obviously read 8 . 8 . 8 . 8 instead of some damned smiley Smiley

Mav
Fixes: 514

No problem from my Plusnet connection using 8.8.8.8 & 8.8.4.4

Forum Moderator and Customer
Courage is resistance to fear, mastery of fear, not absence of fear - Mark Twain
He who feared he would not succeed sat still

Pete11
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 4

No problem here either, using laptop, Plusnet connection and hub1.

A float tip is pleasing in its appearance and even more pleasing in its disappearance.
Growing old is inevitable...But growing up is optional.
Tempting
Grafter

This is strange as until approximately 3 weeks ago I could access the website with no problems now I cannot access it at all and have tried PC, 2 x laptop and 2 x mobiles.

Having restarted my router already has anyone got any ideas as to why I cannot access a specific website using my connection when other users appear fine and the website itself is clearly available (just not to me)

Gandalf
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 1,599

Have you tried a factory reset of the router?
From 31st October 2022, I no longer have a regular presence here as I’ve moved on to a new role.
Anoush Mortazavi
Plusnet
Tempting
Grafter

No, I've not tried a factory reset for two reasons:

1) it shouldn't be necessary

2) Don't really fancy setting the whole thing up again

and there is no guarantee that this will resolve the issue anyway.

Tempting
Grafter

OK, so I bit the bullet and reset the router to factory defaults. Before adding any other personalisation I attempted to browse the website I was having trouble with before and as suspected the reset has made no difference at all.

I am still unable to browse www.norwegian.com

Tempting
Grafter

In desperation I have just called support. I had already tried everything they suggested. Add URL to safeguard, (won't work as safeguard has never been turned on) Power cycle the router (did it last night), try a different device (already tried several times on several different days), try a different browser (already tried 3 browsers on two devices and 3 other devices), we can access the website here (lucky you). Nothing else they can do as they are not blocking the website.

Final suggestion from Plusnet is to try leaving my router turned off for 30 minutes in an attempt to obtain a different IP address which may or may not resolve the issue. Sounded more like a fob off to me rather than investigating and resolving the real issue.

I'm sorry my problem isn't an easy one to resolve using your 'crib sheet' but sometimes IT support isn't a straightforward job.

I know it's a stupid problem but it is important to me as I have 24 hours between Friday and Saturday to check in and print boarding cards. and I can't access the website. 

Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

As other Plusnet customers can connect and browse to this site without issues from their Plusnet connections, it does suggest that the issue may be external to us.

When you try to ping the site does it resolve the IP to a URL?

Can you provide a tracert to the site?

Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
Tempting
Grafter

Hi @Chris, agreed this is a weird one and I've been in IT support for 20 years and never seen anything like it, I would say the problem is down to the customer but being the customer who has changed nothing in the last 3 weeks when it last worked I am at a total loss.

Pinging the URL resolves to cs167.can.transactcdn.com 192.30.31.161

Tracert reports:

Hop0) [My Machine's Local IP address]

Hop 1) [My Machine Name] [My Machine's Local IP address] reports: Destination Host Unreachable. 

Trace Complete

Any ideas appreciated.

Shep41
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 6

I've just tried the link above and it works fine for me. Have you tried clearing the cache on your computer?.
Keep us all updated
Tempting
Grafter

@Shep41 Thanks, the link appears to work for everyone (as it did for me until it stopped sometime in the last 3 weeks) 

The cache was cleared on all machines, even those that have never accessed the URL before and this was before I started delving deeper into the issue.

BD
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 86

Hi Tempting,

Looking through the connection this side nothing is jumping out as an issue and I can confirm your IP address has changed a few times in the last 48 hours so I doubt it's IP related.

The trace route you posted:
"Hop0) [My Machine's Local IP address]

Hop 1) [My Machine Name] [My Machine's Local IP address] reports: Destination Host Unreachable.

Trace Complete"

Shows that the hops aren't getting past your home network so it does make me think it's something to do with the router or any switches or VPN's you may be using? The one thing I'd suggest to rule a few other things out would be to try a different router and see if the issue persist and remove all VPN's, switches and anything else that could be interfering.

Let us know how you get on.

Kind regards,

Ben

Tempting
Grafter

@BD Thanks for confirmation that my IP address has changed, that rules that out completely.

The DNS is obviously working as it resolves the URL to an IP when I ping the URL

No VPN's. No Switches (except the one built into the rear of the Plusnet router)

PC is hard wired (CAT5e cable, not wi-fi) straight into the back of the Plusnet router, so no additional switches causing problems.

Wi-fi devices connect directly to the Plusnet router's wifi

Could you suggest a router (make / model) which is definitely compatible with my Plusnet connection, since it would appear that this is the next step to take.

Regards.