cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ultra-slow broadband download speed

Romo

Ultra-slow broadband download speed

Our normal download speed is approx 6Mbps. For several days it has consistently been below 0.5Mbps. We have also had this very low speed  at times in the past. Our upload speed is unaffected. We raised a ticket on 6 August and were told it might take up to 24 hours to resolve. We have heard nothing further.
We are getting desperate. What is the problem and when will it be resolved?
7 REPLIES 7
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 2

Re: Ultra-slow broadband download speed

Can you supply the information requested in this post?
Romo

Thanks to Jaggies. The info requested is as follows:
BT Speedtest: Download 1.07 Mbps, Upload 0Mbps
3-Com router stats: Noise margin up 20dB, down 1Db; speed 444Kbps up, 9282Kbps down; attenuation 37dB up, 32dB down
Current line speed 8.1Mb
We always use the test socket.
Does this help?
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro

Hi Romo
You need to do the Further Diagnostics on the BTw speedtest to get your line's IP profile, however the stats from your router look terrible.
What model is the 3-Com router? Perhaps it's on the way out. I don't think they're made any more...
Acassim
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Romo,
Apologies for the time it has taken to get back to you.
After checking the details on your account and on a quick fault check, it seems that your line has a bit of a drop around the 29/07/14 which saw the speed drop to 1.8mbps, this then jumped up on the 04/08/14 to 6.8mbps and finally back to 8.1mbps on the 07/08/14. Given this, have you restarted your router since and seen the speed change back?
I just ran some intrusive testing which will no doubt have dropped your connection so if you could try another speed test now we should hopefully see the speed return.
In addition to this, I have now placed a modify order to remove the capped upload speed (which will no doubt be forcing that 21db SNR on the upload) so you should see this increase shortly.
Moving forward, if your router remains connected and stable now, I would hope to see the issue of the dropping speed stop and the DLM should then relax on the line
Romo

Thanks Plusnet. We have restarted the router several times ( including after your post) and it has made no difference to the speed. Latest download speed is 0.35Mbps, upload 0.29Mbps so no improvement. Anything else you can do/suggest?
In response to Jaggies we are aware the router is old but changing the router made no difference to the speed. Have not been able yet to do the Further Diagnostics but will do so shortly. Many thanks.
Jaggies
Aspiring Pro

@ Romo - the reason I mentioned the 3-Com router is because I have one here in my box of stuff - it was great for up to 8Mb ADSL, but really poor on ADSL 2+, which is why it's in the box...  Cool

(Edit: Typo)
Romo

Thanks Jaggies. We rang Support in some desperation this am (30 min wait - they're obviously v busy!). David helpfully reset the line (apparently not done before) and line speeds immediately were restored to 5.5/0.45Mb/s. 3Com router stats in screenshot for you info. Its modest performance has not been an issue for us but in the light of your comments we are looking into getting a replacement. Perhaps Plusnet could upgrade it for us for free?!