cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

URGENT - Elderly relative with broken router

Danwheatley
Hooked

URGENT - Elderly relative with broken router

Hello. I have an elderly relative who lives alone and is extremely vulnerable. They reported their router not working over a week ago - and an engineer had told them they need a replacement. They’re still offline with no sign of a new router. (I Will happily pay for a new one) but non of us are able to get in touch - if a new router is not possible - please can you tell me what I can buy for them on Ebay / Amazon?
They live alone in a town in North Devon - and the only way for them to communicate during these times are via the Internet / Wifi router(modem). They have standard plusnet wifi - not fibre and they are currently borrowing phones to communicate and let us know that they are well. I appreciate that we are all struggling during this pandemic - however I really think that there is an easy solution - and Id love to help get them back online. ❤️ thank you all!! X
12 REPLIES 12
jab1
Legend
Fixes: 253

Re: URGENT - Elderly relative with broken router

Welcome to the forums @Danwheatley 

As you ask about buying a router off Ebay/Amazon, your best option is to buy a BT HomeHub 6 from Ebay - set up instructions are available on the router board on this forum.

The only possible problem could be setting it up - it does need some 'adjusting' to work on PN - and I assume your relatives are in lockdown?

John
Danwheatley
Hooked

Hi Jab1. Sadly they do not have the technical skills to setup a router and Indeed they are on complete lockdown having deliveries made to them - however this is also running low as they manage this via an internet connect. :(.
Thank you for helping - Ill see what I can search re: routers online. I appreciate your advice and support x
jab1
Legend

@Danwheatley Sorry I couldn't be of more help - but be aware that any router/modem you buy online will need some setting up.

John
Beyhive
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 44

Hi @Danwheatley, thank you for getting in touch.

Please send me the account username via a PM so we can have a look into it for you.

If you could also confirm on this thread that you have sent the username over so we can get this picked up.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Faris
 Plusnet Help Team
Danwheatley
Hooked

Hello. I am sorry but I dont have an account number. He cannot remember it - I can send you his full address & email address and full name.... would that help.

I also managed to but a brand new router on eBay. It’s all plugged in - and he is running an ethernet to his laptop and the ethernet icon on the router is flashing and the internet and power lights are all solid green.... however when he goes into his internet browser he is told that he is offline... he is using Win 10. Any help much appreciated. Thank you
Danwheatley
Hooked

I should mention that this was the new router I found and bought for him on eBay:

PLUSNET 2704N WIRELESS ROUTER NEW

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/PLUSNET-2704N-WIRELESS-ROUTER-NEW-/283801964210

jab1
Legend

@Danwheatley Because that is a Plusnet router, it will have been pre-configured with the original owners PN credentials - it will need the new owners entering to allow it to work on their broadband, but as he cannot remember his details I'm at a loss as to what to suggest. Hopefully, if the PN Help Team pick this back up, they may have a suggestion..

John
jgb
Champion
Fixes: 22

@Danwheatley 

You say that he cannot remember his account username (see post 6 above - I assume that is what you mean by account number?)

If so how has he input his details to the new router? It will need "his username"@plusdsl.net and his password in order to connect to Plusnet and so gain access to the internet. As the router has not been supplied directly by Plusnet they will not have preprogrammed it to automatically connect to his account.

Danwheatley
Hooked

I didn't know that we needed to input account information into the router to activate his new router - I honestly don't know what to do to help him anymore -- I really just need to speak to Plusnet , and get him a new router - surely someone at PlusNet can answer me / call me back - and verify using his name/address and email address + maybe a security question? 

All I need is to get PlusNet to send him a new router, and then all will be fine, however, he is now into week 4 since we had the engineer from PlusNet out to him - and we still cannot get him online.... 😓

Danwheatley
Hooked

Thanks John - really appreciate your help - I've learned something new I didn't know that I needed PN Creds in the Router.... I really really hope that someone from PlusNet Help / Support pick up on this thread - he is a vulnerable and alone - and I do worry that as he doesn't have a contract phone and we can't contact him - he's already gone 3.5 weeks since the engineer came out to his flat to diagnose whether there was a line fault.... 😞

If you think of any solutions - please feel free to share - I am willing to speak on his behalf, and I can let the PN Help Team know Address / DOB / Email / etc... so they can verify his account! 🤗

jab1
Legend

PN will pick this up as soon as possible, but the restricted numbers of both call centre and Help Team staff mean that it unfortunately takes longer than usual.Does he not have a landline phone, or have I missed something?

John
Beyhive
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 44

Hi @Danwheatley, thank you for your patience.

I've decided it is better to respond to you on PM as there are one or two things I need to discuss regarding this matter.

If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Faris
 Plusnet Help Team