cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

UKonline to Plusnet speed issue

saulboat

UKonline to Plusnet speed issue

Unfortunately my move from UKonline to Plusnet has not proved to be the best Internet experience I have had over the last 8 years of service from Internet access suppliers.
Initially Plusnet suggested that I should get 2mbps but after the 10 day ‘training period’ it settled down to 1.25mbps. This was confirmed by email from Plusnet.
But after a few more days the connection speed halved resulting in BT/Plusnet setting an IP profile of 750.
The first call to CS , on their 0845 number (UKonline had a CS 0800 number), was the usual request to change the filters and then wait 3 days for the BT exchange to set a higher IP profile. This did not happen. Not the changing of filters but the higher IP profile.
The second call to CS came up with the ‘too many errors’ excuse and a request that I try another router.
I changed to my Netgear router and waited the statutory three days for the speed to rise.  It didn’t.
I then logged a ticket with CS. After a couple days I received a blizzard of technobabble from a CS rep but still no increase in speed.
So before I request my MAC and move back to a more robust LLU ISP I thought I’d give this forum I try.

Here is latest link information from my Plusnet supplied router:-
Uptime: 0 days, 21:12:39
DSL Type: G.992.3 annex A
Maximum Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 924 / 3,768
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 444 / 1,149
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/MB]: 34.34 / 188.46
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.5 / 15.5
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 30.5 / 56.5
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 19.5 / 11.0
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / IFTN
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 4 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 65,536 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 22,100
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 6 / 64
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 1 / NA

Should I expect a higher IP profile based on these figures or am I asking too much from this ISP?

29 REPLIES 29
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: UKonline to Plusnet speed issue

HI saulboat,
Welcome to the forum and plusnet. I'll take a look for you and see what I can find out.
Jojo Smiley
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi saulboat,
Your line has been banded. This means that the sync will not go above 1152. This has been applied because of the intermittentcy. The first thing I would ask you to do is follow the checks here. The most important one being to plug into the test socket. Once you have done this then I can look at getting the banding removed.
Jojo Smiley
saulboat

Thanks Jojo, but I forgot to mention that I've covered the test socket issue in a previous call with CS. I don't have one and have no intention of paying BT to fit one.
After the second call to CS I removed a faulty extension cable and when I rebooted the router the maximum up bandwidth jumped from 2152 kbps to 3824 kbps and has stayed around the 3600 – 3800 since.
This was never an issue with UKonline. On the one occasion in 5 years with UKonline when I had a speed issue, the CS reset my LLU connection and away it went.
I have no objection to you doing a reset and staring a new 10 trial period. Or just remove the banding?
pierre_pierre
Grafter

the CS reset my LLU

The is like Chalk and cheese
You are not on LLU now
saulboat

I'm painfully aware that I moved away from LLU but never expected to have to be trapped by the clunky algorithms that BT uses on their exchange equipment.
I may be wrong but it appears that if your router some much as coughs BT's logic assumes you have a duff line and caps your speed. Then you're subjected to their three day waiting period.
Mand
Grafter

Quote from: saulboat
I may be wrong but it appears that if your router some much as coughs BT's logic assumes you have a duff line and caps your speed. Then you're subjected to their three day waiting period.

Only if it coughs more than they think it should within a certain time frame. Wink
We can request that banding be removed, but it's a one-shot process as a rule so it's best to make sure we've eliminated everything we can first.
I know you said you don't have a test socket but I'm assuming you do have a master socket? Is your router connected to that?
On a more positive note, your connection seems to have been more stable over the last day or two, which is a good sign.
saulboat

Mand,
Yes, the router is connected to the master socket.
It was a faulty extension cable that caused the all the HEC down errors. This type of error disappeared when the extension cable was removed and the router rebooted.
Let's go for the removal of the banding ASAP
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Mand I am not joking this is my master socket and I an synched at 14 M
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi saulboat,
I'll try to get the banding removed today. I'll get back to you when I find out more.
Jojo Smiley
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi saulboat,
I've had the banding lifted now, just a case of waiting for the profile to lift. That shouldn't be long now, I'll keep an eye on it for you.
Jojo Smiley
saulboat

Thanks Jojo, already vast improvement this end. The iPlayer experience is no longer several minutes of spinning wheels interspersed with the occasional picture Smiley
Many thanks for sorting the speed issue, i'll just keep my fingers crossed that the connection stays stable.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI saulboat,
I didn't lift the banding beyond the line's capability so hopefully it will stay stable now.
Jojo Smiley
siltshifter
Dabbler

As far as I can tell I have a very similar problem to saulboat. Like him/her I have addressed the socket issue and replaced the ADSL cable between the telephone socket and the router. 
Current DSL connection stats show
Uptime: 0 days, 4:37:56 (it is resetting almost every day for some reason and despite the (Thompson Gateway) router being definitely on 24/7) DSL Type: G.992.3 annex A
Maximum Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 832 / 3,904
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 443 / 3,896
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [MB/MB]: 1.57 / 4.16
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.5 / 17.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 29.5 / 49.5
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 20.0 / 9.0
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / IFTN
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 263 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 262,143 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 327,679 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 31 / 495
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 20 / 234

But a speed test is showing 2280 or thereabouts download and has been between 2281 & 2295kB/s since the 7th January. Have I been banded too maybe?
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi siltshifter,
Your line is definitely not banded. Are you in the test socket or using an extension?
Jojo Smiley