Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Two of everything.

SpiritualBeggar
Grafter

Two of everything.

Hello,
I am due to have Plusnet UF installed on the 3rd Apr. I am currently with Sky Fibre Unlimited and am having to get a new line install. I have been advised (by Plusnet), to keep Sky until the Plusnet service is up and running. This overlap seems a tad unnecessary and messy, as Im going to have two of everything for about a fortnight  (well maybe I should take advantage). I'm sure the BT engineer will be asking questions, when he sees that he will be putting another fibre box alongside the original one.
Does anyone at Plusnet know, when the "incompatible product" error when switching fibre llu provider, will be fixed. The solution would make the additional installation completely unnecessary.
Also, what happens if the new line I am provided, turns out inferior to the one I'm currently on and gives me a much lower speed. Ok, maybe a small chance of that happening but you never know. Roll_eyes
4 REPLIES 4
chrispurvey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 1

Re: Two of everything.

Hi Spiritual Beggar,
Firstly welcome to Plusnet,
The reason for the overlap is the FIbre MPF incompatible product problem. This means we're having to install a line complete independently of the Sky line, and aren't able to get everything in place at the same time as they switch off.
Yes the Fibre MPF problem would make the additional installation unnecessary. No word yet as to a solution, and we've pushed plenty of examples to our suppliers regarding this, it's certainly a big problem though, we know of almost 6000 cases across the industry.
Your new line shouldn't be of any different quality, it's not physically any further from the exchange. If he's getting much lower speeds, We'd need to take a look into that if there was any major difference.
Chris
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

That's of course assuming that the pair in the cable back to the Cab is at least as good a quality as the current pair!
Plusnot

Word from the wise, keep your Sky internet provision in case the BT Openreach engineer does not turn up on the day promised which has been my experience on 3 occasions. Still no internet after two weeks so best keep hold of Sky till totally set up with Plusnet...wish I had. Best of luck though.
SpiritualBeggar
Grafter

Thanks for the welcome and info everyone. Here's hoping it all goes to plan. Smiley
Quote from: Anotherone
That's of course assuming that the pair in the cable back to the Cab is at least as good a quality as the current pair!

You're quite right there. When I moved into my present property 12yrs ago I signed up with Freeserve broadband. My connection would not stay up for more than a hour or so before dropout. After threatening to leave, they offered a new line install. I took up the offer, BT came out and split my incoming cable and used a spare pair. This turned out to be a much more reliable connection, it didnt drop out
and even connected at a higher sync. Fingers crossed, BT don't use the dodgy original pair.