Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Two Connections from One account

rockintone
Grafter

Two Connections from One account

Hi all,
Silly question really but I wanted to check.
I assume that you cannot simultaneously have two connections to the one broadband account ie same user name and password accessing from two different routers on different telphone lines at the same time?  I assume that if one pc/router is online and another pc/router trys to connect using the same username/password then then it would be rejected? 
Regards
11 REPLIES 11
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Re: Two Connections from One account

Don't think it would be rejected but it would cause severe issues plus you'd need both lines to be PN ADSL enabled so you'd have to pay PN twice anyway..
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
pierre_pierre
Grafter

you cant use more than one router on a phone line, but you can have numerous connections to PN via that router, I have had four all to the same account and often SWMBO is on to wieghtwatchers while I am on here
rockintone
Grafter

Hi,
Yes both lines are PN ADSL enabled and are paying PN for each telephone line access.  
The reason I am asking the question is that I recently changed my password and my mother can't now connect to the internet and I am trying to establish the problem (on the other side of the phone as she does not live near me).  It would appear that the router is working fine (adsl lights on etc) but no internet.  When she accesses the router connectiin screen its showing not connected but MY!! username is showing!!
What I think may have happened is when I gave my mother my old router a few months go when she got a new PC (she previoulsy had a usb modem and needed a wired router for her new vista pc) I may have forgotten to change the connection settings in the router to her plusnet user name and password (an easy mistake when I think back as when the router was plugged in it connected to the net right away).  I just assumed that it would not be possible for this to happen and that only one connection could be made at any time. I can't say i have noticed any of severe issues that you mention if this is the case.
Any further advice/comments on this issue would be appreciated.
PS I have asked her to call plus net to get her username/password confirmed so that she can re-enter these in the router.
dvorak
Fixes: 1,483

Your mothers usage will be recorded against yours, sounds like you have been lucky I think - it would have been worse if you had static IP.
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
ReedRichards
Seasoned Pro
Fixes: 25

When I was with Orange Broadband (formerly Wanadoo, formerly Freeserve) I would visit clients in my local area and found that I could access the internet using my own username and password  at clients who were also with Orange Broadband.  This was despite the fact that I had a router at home maintaining a permanent connection.  My Orange account was limited in bandwidth but unmetered  so perhaps Orange were not paying much attention.
Edit:  I should have mentioned this was an ordinary account with a new IP address assigned every time you connected (dynamic IP).
itsme
Grafter

I believe if you have a dynamic IP you can have multiple connections but as Adiewood stated above with a static IP address it would cause problems. If I remember correctly from reading posts on this in the past the last connection will get the static address which will knock the other connection off.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Yep, that's exactly it - if two lines connect on the same account with a static IP the second connection will take over the IP, the first will remain connected but lose all data transfer. If it's a dynamic IP it's likely that both lines will gain a working connection but both sets of usage will most likely be recorded on the account and lord knows which connection profile you'll get issued on either line - it's quite likely the second connection will get the default one which will make the experience a lot worse.
This is something we have under investigation.
rockintone
Grafter

Hi Orbey,
You are correct about the usage profile - I discovered usage against my account when I was on Holiday (router switched off) - Initially I thought it was either a mistake or someone had my username password etc hence the reason I changed my password.  Now I know what the problem was, however if I hadn't checked my usage then I would never have changed my password and myself and my mother would have been connecting to using the same account for god knows how long (its been over 6 months since I gvae her my router).  I haven't noticed any detrimental effects but i know her connections haven't been great - I use the net alot her routers only on when she is online which is usually only for some light surfing and email.
Whilst it is my error (I should have set up her router correctly) it is an easy mistake to make and I am sure I am not alone.  Is there a possible fix for this in the future, ie only one login at one time on any account?
Regards
Tony
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 395

I should have set up her router correctly

A useful tip, if you ever give/loan a router to anyone... Do a factory reset BEFORE you hand it over or start to configure it then you dont get into this scenario. Its usually a pretty simple procedure on most routers.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Lurker
Grafter

It usually appears to be straightforward, but I'd submit Netgear as a 'fly in the ointment'.
Particularly as you might think you have performed a reset, when actually you've simply restarted the router.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 395

but I'd submit Netgear as a 'fly in the ointment'.

Good point! Funnily enough I almost got caught out by a Netgear DG834 the other day. We've changed the office from the DG834 to a 2700HGV recently and since we actually now have a spare 2700  the old netgear wasnt needed. Someone in the office wanted a non-wireless router and so I said 'you can have that old DG834'.
So I found it, connected to a Laptop and pushed the 'reset' button with the old paper-clip!. Strange, It didnt give me an IP... then I realised that you have to hold the 'reset' button in until the light flashes on the front to get a full factory reset.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.