cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Twitter

mal0z
Grafter

Twitter

Just read Bob's comments about use of Twitter.
Call me a ludite on such things - but I've had a quick look and not certain what it is ??.
Can you send cellphone text messages that then display either on the twitter site and/or are sent to subscribiers ?.
Any other similar services - I might have a use for it.
10 REPLIES 10
James
Grafter

Re: Twitter

You can't send sms messages, but a lot of the new generation of cellphones will have a twitter application, such as twitterfon or twitteriffic, that you can install.  You can then just "tweet" using your phone, or just via the web.
It's a useful communications tool for a business to keep track of the concerns of their consumers, or just for keeping in touch with friends.
As a fairly obscure example, I was keeping Adiewoo updated with the cricket scores whilst he was on the train home Smiley
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Quote from: mal0z
Can you send cellphone text messages that then display either on the twitter site and/or are sent to subscribiers ?

You can send updates via text on your cellphone that then propagate to your Twitter feed. Texts can only be sent *to* cellphones in the UK if you're a Vodafone subscriber.
This is quite a good introduction to what it's all about.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

mal0z
Grafter

Many thanks guys and by the way my emails working fine unlike some others
Santiago
Grafter

Quote from: Jameseh
As a fairly obscure example, I was keeping Adiewoo updated with the cricket scores whilst he was on the train home Smiley

And I got the score updates too because I follow jameseh
Quote from: Bob
Texts can only be sent *to* cellphones in the UK if you're a Vodafone subscriber.

I thought you could send tweets on Vodafone for free too or was that just an limited time offer?
dvorak
Fixes: 1,482

Quote from: Jameseh

Which I was most grateful for Smiley
Customer / Moderator
If it helped click the thumb
If it fixed it click 'This fixed my problem'
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Quote from: Santiago
Quote from: Bob
Texts can only be sent *to* cellphones in the UK if you're a Vodafone subscriber.

I thought you could send tweets on Vodafone for free too or was that just an limited time offer?

Yep you're right. From the article I linked to above -
Quote from: Twitter
Vodafone UK has signed an agreement with Twitter allowing customers to send and receive SMS updates at no additional cost.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Santiago
Grafter

If you want to follow the Iran election aftermath you can use twitter #iranelection.
or go to #hashtags and search #iranelection, you won't have to look too far it's at the top of the list

Edit: #iranelection has been blocked in Iran.
Santiago
Grafter

Apparently #iranelection is working
Lurker
Grafter

Quote from: Santiago
Edit: #iranelection has been blocked in Iran.

Bloomin' heck, whats with all the screen taken up with these short one-line updates.
I wish somebody would come up with something more suitable for these types of updates...
/runs. Grin
adie:quote ]
Santiago
Grafter

For the non-twits on here I thought it might be interesting to see how Twitter can be used.
James_G, are you a twit or what?
/chases
Edit: added personal insult to James_G