cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Turning off Wireless router overnight

flicker
Grafter

Re: Turning off Wireless router overnight

Lol, I will try that, I'm thinking about getting a longer cable actually and running it in to the kitchen out of my bedroom, may try that option, the cables are only about £5 I think.  It's a nuisance in a way that BT put in a proper broadband socket, because before I could have the router in the living room running through the normal ADSL filter.
(Oh and btw, I'm a she Wink  )
The_10th
Grafter

From experience on this board it seems that people with high sync speeds are able to turn off at night and on the next day or so without any reprofiling by BT. Although it can happen, broadband is designed for use with a modem - a router is a luxury so one would expect to turn a PC and thus the modem off every night anyhow without service degradation.
I have heard of people putting routers in their loft to get the equipment out of reach.
Out of interest, have you tried changing your wireless frequency to the other end of the scale regarding headaches? I have a separate Wirless access point connected to a router so turning wireless off is very simple - unplug it!  Smiley
notheruser
Grafter

The ideas about shutting down wireless, changing frequency etc. are good, but I'm guessing that flicker will hardly want to log onto the router every night before going to bed, or before using it next day.
flicker - Looking back at the original post, I'm just wondering why you don't use an extension lead to move the router? The reason you give for it being over your head is that this is close to where the socket is - is that the obly thing preventing you from moving it?
Two days without headaches is not quite conclusive proof, but very interesting all the same. Maybe not getting microwaved all night is a good idea?!
flicker
Grafter

Lol @ being microwaved!  Well I have some good news, and also something else to ask.  I connected back on this morning, having left it on all night, and got -

Cool
So maybe yesterday was just a glitch because I believe it takes longer for BT to alter it back?
Anyway, out of interest, without moving my position at all (I'm still in bed  Embarrassed  ) I just plugged in the ethernet cable, and disabled the wireless connection and got -

Cool Cool
Now I have in the past tried moving the router to all different positions, moving the aerial etc, but still can never get anything like the same speeds using wireless as with ethernet.  Any tips therefore as to what I can do, as obviously, most of the time, I use it wirelessly, as I am in a different room to the router, and I don't want cables hanging from the sky etc!
(And to answer the question, yes it is because the cable is only long enough to have the router where it is at present, within a few feet or so anyway.)
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Check that the MTU setting on the router is the same or larger than the MTU setting on the PC. A friend of mine saw his speed nearly double when he corrected that error.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

It's also worth trying a different frequency if there is a possibility of interference from a neighbour's wireless router installation (even when the signal is weak). Choosing between channels 1, 6 and 11 is often recommended. Many routers choose 1 by default even when set to Auto.
David
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

hello again,  for what it`s worth, as you know, I unplug my wireless router every night..... here is the last couple of speed tests I have done,

download                              upload
weds 21:28      874kbps (109kbs)                342 kbps  (42.8 kbs)
thurs 08:49      907kbps (113kbs)                342 kbps  (42.8 kbs)
thurs 08:50      925kbps (116kbs)                341 kbps  (42.6 kbs)
thurs 20:05      925kbps (116kbs)                343 kbps  (42.9 kbs)

which seems pretty stable to me....
flicker
Grafter

Quote from: jelv
Check that the MTU setting on the router is the same or larger than the MTU setting on the PC. A friend of mine saw his speed nearly double when he corrected that error.

How do I do that please?  I've done the DrTCP thing and changed the settings, but I can't see anything about MTU in my router settings page, is that where I should be looking?
flicker
Grafter

Quote from: shutter
hello again,  for what it`s worth, as you know, I unplug my wireless router every night..... here is the last couple of speed tests I have done,

download                              upload
weds 21:28      874kbps (109kbs)                 342 kbps  (42.8 kbs)
thurs 08:49      907kbps (113kbs)                342 kbps  (42.8 kbs)
thurs 08:50      925kbps (116kbs)                341 kbps  (42.6 kbs)
thurs 20:05      925kbps (116kbs)                343 kbps  (42.9 kbs)

which seems pretty stable to me....

Certainly does, as I said, maybe mine was just a glitch yesterday, but I'm taking no chances, I will get a longer cable I think and move the router so I can leave it on all the time.
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Yes and take those curlers out of your hair, If they are metal, I not surprise you are getting micro waved at night  Grin
shutter
Community Veteran
Fixes: 65

Don`t be flippant pierre.....  Wink  this is a serious channel of discussion here.... you know where to find the nutters Huh Roll_eyes
pierre_pierre
Grafter

Sorry, such a small picture, if its not Janice, is it a Hedgehog? or a dog or what, still the beta test of the new face of the post has made it a bit bigger
The_10th
Grafter

Quote from: notheruser
The ideas about shutting down wireless, changing frequency etc. are good, but I'm guessing that flicker will hardly want to log onto the router every night before going to bed, or before using it next day.

Changing frequency isn't a task requiring she logs on to the router every night but just a one off task.
notheruser
Grafter

Quote from: geezer
Quote from: notheruser

Changing frequency isn't a task requiring she logs on to the router every night but just a one off task.
Embarrassed Of course you're right! (Note to self - think twice, write once!) Embarrassed Shutting down wireless though, would require login.
runhare
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 3

if you dont mind spending some money, buy a solwise homeplug ethernet over mains router and a solwise homeplug wireless adapter. Plug the adapter in whenever and wherever you need it to get the wireless connection and unplug it when you dont.
I have put this set up in place in two houses now and it means the router stays on all the time but the wireless does not. You can have the wireless wherever you like, even in the garage.
look here..
http://www.solwise.co.uk/net-powerline-pl-85pew.htm
and here
http://www.solwise.co.uk/adsl-sar605eh.htm