Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trying to resolve speed issue

stefonwade
Grafter

Trying to resolve speed issue

Hi,
Im still having problems with this speed issue. I raise da ticket but still no response. I was just checking my ruoter page and came across this
Uptime: 0 days, 7:37:28

DSL Type: G.992.1 annex A

Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 448 / 7,616

Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/kB]: 0.00 / 0.00

Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 11.5 / 11.5

Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 5.0 / 7.0

SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 20.0 / 7.0

Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / ALCB

Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 0 / 0

Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 0 / 0

Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0

Loss of Link (Remote): 0

Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 0 / 0

FEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 5

CRC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0

HEC Errors (Up/Down): 0 / 0

I also noticed someone with the same speed broadband and they had much higher  line attenuation infact they had 20/16 is mine definitely set up correctly because my speed is rediculous. So much to the point now i just want to take the cancelling contract early charge and find another ISP. I cannot play black ops on the xbox even when i search for locale only games i still get red connection and severe lag to the point im just running from a spot and being lagged back to the same spot over and over again. When i go into bandwidth settings on black ops it says i have between 100 - 200 sometimes which is totally unplayable
11 REPLIES 11
stefonwade
Grafter

Re: Trying to resolve speed issue

OK i have signed up to move to the PRO package to see if this changes things as it promises me low latency for games. Can this be upgraded quicker or do i need to wait until my next billing date which is a month away?
thanks
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

First, the package you are on makes no difference to latency - Plusnet do no limit latency on any packages, it is all down to your actual connection.
Second, you are syncing at the fastest speed possible for ADSL Max. You say you have a speed issue but don't actually say what your current speeds are?
Do you actually mean you have a latency issue which is nothing to do with speed.
Post the results of a bt speedtest
What is your plusnet profile set to? https://portal.plus.net/my.html?action=data_transfer_speed
As for your SNR... That looks perfectly normal. What happens is the exchange normally has a min SNR target level of 6db and as it tries to increase the speed of the connection the SNR figure goes down. When the SNR figure hits the target level, that is the speed BT set for the line.
All package changes happen on your next billing date. It cannot be brought forward... however knowing it will not improve your latency you may need to reconsider.
stefonwade
Grafter

I get this
Estimated line speed:
7Mb (Accurate to within +/- 1Mbit) - Checked on 2011-03-17 19:31:41
Current line speed:
6.5 Mb
However whenever i play games im either in the red or amber zones no matter what part of the day  I have latency issues but i never had them before. My internet was very stable and was totally playable. Now i have lagg in every game and connection issues when no one else i play with has and its not just once an hour it happens at least 3-4 times per 10 minute game and this is through the thomson modem and through my router. Doing pingtest gives me 30-40 ms and no packet loss but the internet is only just useable posting on forums. Loading viedos on youtube my internet cant keep up with the playback and has to pause to view the full video.
stefonwade
Grafter

I cannot complete a btspeedtest. It gets stuck at user details or something then says an error has occured
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Keep trying... it is very unreliable at times.
Also you appear to have interleaving on (a sycnc rate of 7616 is the clue) which will be adding 16->20ms to your latency. You could ask Plusnet to get it turned off and see if it helps (it can take a few days).
Also other people have been reporting speed issues and problems accessing some websites recently which may also be affecting you.
See what gateway you are on then try rebooting the router to get a different gateway and see if your problem improves.
stefonwade
Grafter

You are currently connected to the gateway known as pcl-ag08.
This is located in City Lifeline House
I have turned my modem off about 5 times the last few days and it hasnt really changed anything. The biggest improvement i had found was to turn off firewall but i had to turn that back on really
i have asked for interleaving to be removed but i didnt think you were allowed on extra and only on the pro package?
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Interleaving is not related to any package. It's a function of your broadband connection from BT and is not something Plusnet control. They have to put an change request order into BTW to have it changed, they can't do it directly.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi stefon,
I've placed the order to remove it for you, that should complete on Monday.
Hope that helps,
stefonwade
Grafter

Hi Matt,
Thank you for that however i just noticed that i got a new ticket raised saying interleaving off has been rejected and failed. Is this normal?
Thanks
stefonwade
Grafter

Dont worry just done a ping test and now im getting 20-25 and seems very stable again.
Thanks Smiley
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

No probs - not sure what's happened there but glad it's improved things. If it happens again please let us know and we'll check further for you.