Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trouble with public IP & VPN

eporeilly
Hooked

Trouble with public IP & VPN

Hi

I am experiencing trouble connecting to my work VPN and IT believe it is a problem with my public IP being outside of a usable range?
If i tether my laptop to my phone over 4G I can connect no problem, but over wifi it fails

Is there an easy way to change my public IP? I have tried turning the router off for a while and it did not change.

Thanks!

8 REPLIES 8
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Re: Trouble with public IP & VPN

You can request a static IP here which will put you in a different range, but there's a one-off charge of £5. Whether or not your corporate VPN allows connections from your current IP address should be entirely within the control of whoever looks after your work VPN/IT architecture.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

eporeilly
Hooked

Hi

Thanks for the reply, I don't want a static IP, I can connect from my wifi sometimes, but other times I cannot connect for hours, but during that time I can connect fine form other networks.

IT at work have said they can see the connection coming in whenever it's not connecting from my end.

I have seen other people with similar issues saying it's to do with certain public IPs, so i just wondered if there was an easy way to get it changed rather than unplugging my router for hours and hoping to get a new one?

aesmith
Pro
Fixes: 4

Your company should be able to tell whether they block VPN access from certain address ranges.  It wouldn't be normal for a remote access VPN.

More likely it's something within Plusnet.  When I was on PN broadband there were firewall options configurable on your account. I had to switch all that off before remote access VPN would work.

eporeilly
Hooked

I did ask them and I'm pretty sure they said mine wasn't being blocked, I can get through sometimes but not others.

I've tried disabling the firewall on the router but no luck, tried clamping the UDP port to 500 but that didn't work.

I'll have a look at the account, I think it's something within plusnet as well.

Thanks

eporeilly
Hooked

Firewall is off in the account settings as well, nightmare!

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@eporeilly wrote
:..so i just wondered if there was an easy way to get it changed rather than unplugging my router for hours and hoping to get a new one?

No easy way I'm afraid, and dynamic IP's are assigned geographically now so there's a change those you'll be allocated are all from similar pools/ranges.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

eporeilly
Hooked

ok, thanks for your help!

I paid the £5 in the end for the static IP, fixed things for a few days but now having the same issue as before Sad

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@eporeilly I've applied a £5 credit to your account to cover the cost seeing as it hasn't helped. The IP you've been assigned is from a well-established range (same range as mine as it happens), so there definitely shouldn't be any routing issues, nor any inerrant port restrictions.

Might be worth establishing whether or not there's any local logging that can be extracted from your VPN client software. Maybe something your helpdesk/IT bods can help with?

I'd normally suggest trying to trace to the VPN endpoint at this stage, but seeing that your IT dept seem to be able to see your connection attempts, then this doesn't seem worthwhile.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team