Trinitarian broadband!!!

avodat
Grafter

Re: Trinitarian broadband!!!

Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

This one I would say was more likely down to the LOS error or maybe the LOS was symptomatic.
That's why it's a good idea to post the Stats as well as the relevant SNRM graph and Log to get as complete a picture as possible.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 156

Good afternoon Avodat,
The disconnection this morning showed nothing of remark, beyond taking 73 seconds to establish synchronisation.  This is longer than we would expect and might be examined  later on to see if improvements can be attained, but not right now.
Some suggestions...
1. RouterStats Rx Synch Speed axis adjustment
The "recommended" settings were given for a user with around 5-8Mbps synch speed.  From the graph you posted, I see that the synch speed is not plotted (other than the red line on the disconnect) due to the maximum on that graph being 12Mbps and your synch speed being somewhat higher.  Can you please change the axis maximum value as follows.
Click the configuration icon (gears) Select GRAPHS and Y-AXIS LIMITS.  In the Rx Sync Speed section set the maximum value to 15000 or 18000 kbps (15 or 18 Mbps).  To a large extent the value does not matter so long as it is greater than your synch speed.  Nice simple integer ratios between the Rx Noise Max and the Rx Sync Max means than when plotted on the same graph, the left and right axis scales are "tidy" in that the grid aligns with ordinal values on both sides.
2. Mitigating the impact of a disconnect
Quote from: avodat
I missed that. When a fault occurs it usually brings up the log-in page for the router. This happened this morning but I have not logged into the router.

This explains more clearly why you perceive such a massive impact with the disconnects - I've been wonder "why not just hit the back button?".  I suspect that having got the router login in screen, you've (understandably) thrown your hands in the air, kicked the cat and tried to move forwards... and recovered the link and started again.  May I suggest the following approach as an alternative next time you get hit with the router intercept logon screen.
A. Do nothing with the log on screen
B. Wait for the synch to come back up - sorry you'll have to go look at the router OR open another browser tab / window and use that to log into the router (do NOT) use the one above
C. When the link is up again, go to the window you were using (in A) above and click the browser BACK button - this SHOULD return you to the input screen you were using with all of the data you had previously entered.
D. Press the send / submit button / link again
This might cause the data to be resent successfully.
I say might as that will depend on the characteristics of the remote service and how it functions.  I do not want to bore you with technicalities, but many websites will in the situation you have described have established a "session context" which enables the remote system to know who you are and what you are doing.  In some circumstances, the "session context" is predicated on the IP address, which in your case changes each time you reconnect to the internet, therefore the all important context could be lost rendering the input still invalid.
It is worth giving it a try though.  Indeed if you are feeling brave enough you might consider testing this - draft an email (I guess you are using an on-line client rather than something like Outlook, Messenger Live Mail...) deliberately drop the link, press send, get the router intercept screen and then follow the above.
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Avodat,
Off topic and rhetorical...
You said at the top of this thread you'd rather write a thesis on the Holly Trinity... I've heard many clergy say that is the hardest sermon of the year, but never quite understood why.  I have heard many and a few good ones amongst them.
If we believe...
God made EVERYTHING
God is in EVERYTHING
God is in EVRYONE
God is EVERYWHERE
Why is "God in three persons" then so hard to understand?
Huh Wink
Just a thought, no answer anticipated!
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

Anotherone
Champion

Couldn't have put either of the last 2 posts much better really Wink
avodat
Grafter

I know Christmas is coming but...Holly Trinity?   Grin Grin Grin
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Embarrassed
I'm glad that of all people - you can laugh about it.  My brain did do a double take as I wrote it - quite ashamed of myself!

avodat
Grafter

We all get far too serious about lots of things! I thought it was hilarious, if unintentional  Grin   Thanks for the laughs!
If we enjoyed our religion instead of suffering it, lots in life would be so much better, for each of us and for our relationship with those of other faiths. Jesus was a great fun lover and party-goer, it's just that his words are read, mostly, in a very sombre monotone that the impact is often totally lost on people, and with it, the message, too.
I love being a Christian and find so much life and joy in being so.
Better stick to IT matters on these fora though!
avodat
Grafter

Forgot to say last night - I have to end the monitoring because I need my laptop away from home today.
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

That's life!  We still will have the router logs to look at if there is a disconnect.  Can you please check the PPP and DSL connection times on your return.  The discernment I am looking for is the "type" of disconnect...
PPP - end to end authentication issue / gateway drop / BT issue
DSL - line synch / stability issue
Kernel Warm Restart - router error handling issue
The resolution for each is different.  In general the most prevalent is the middle one which is where PN have focused.  I suspect your history is related to the third which is why attempts to resolve this to date have failed.  I just need evidence to support my suspicions!

avodat
Grafter

OK will do when I switch on laptop tonight. Trying to access this page on my desk top, from the email telling me I have a response, simply brought up the access page to the router several times, before I got to read what you had said. Great joy!
Townman
Superuser
Superuser

Hi Avodat,
Did those router log in screens show anything other than just the usual login details?
This is symptomatic of the link being down or DNS issues.  Sight of the router logs / a check on connection times - when you have time - would be most useful.

In the meantime...
@CRT is Adam around today?  Can an update on doing a firmware update be provided please?

avodat
Grafter

The router screen just showed the access boxes. I do not have any data for that coming up because I am on my work computer, not my laptop at the moment and the laptop was switched off because I needed it earlier this morning, so no data available.
Anotherone
Champion

Your work computer on you home network? You can still type 192.168.1.254 in to a tab, login and access the Modem/Router logs. You can do that  from anywhere on your network.
Unless you are remote somewhere  Huh
avodat
Grafter

1)  Laptop was outside the home network - desktop was in house. Desktop, on trying to open link to a message on here would only link me to the login page of the router - NOT to these pages where the message was contained. Though I eventually got it sorted. 2) Because the laptop was OUT of the house, RouterStats was not monitoring the events.