cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trees fouling BT line

Mand
Grafter

Re: Trees fouling BT line

I've seen the notes from all the engineer visits, and they're fairly adamant they've changed/rerouted nearly everything they can. They also say that it was confirmed that the problem was no longer evident.
Our faults guru reckons it's a problem with the line card splitter at the exchange, and that the problem is best solved via a broadband engineer, he's not usually wrong, so I'm happy to take that route at the moment.
twentythree
Grafter

I'll have to take your word for it, Mand, although I would question that it was confirmed that the problem was no longer evident. The crackling I hear on the line isn't a constant thing - it comes and goes - and I've definitely heard it after all of the BT engineer's visits. The BT engineers may not have heard it during their brief tests but that doesn't mean the crackling was gone. All that was confirmed was that the line wasn't crackling when they tested it...
Anyway, I don't want to get into an argument about this especially since it looks like things are progressing with BT now that it is being dealt with as a broadband fault.
Thanks again for the feedback - it really does make a difference.  Smiley
twentythree
Grafter

Please can I have an update on how this fault is progressing? I held off asking all day yesterday as I was expecting some feedback but none was forthcoming. Is there any chance of the line card splitter being looked at in the next few days or will it be a long drawn out fight with BT?
Mand
Grafter

Hi there,
We need to book an appointment, for a broadband engineer.
One of our faults guys will be talking to you shortly to arrange this.
twentythree
Grafter

Thanks Mand,
I spoke to Rami and asked for an afternoon appointment tomorrow (Friday PM). I think this has been booked but the ticket only mentions a provisional appointment reference. Is this appointment definitely confirmed for tomorrow afternoon with BT?
twentythree
Grafter

Sorted now. Rami has just confirmed the appointment for tomorrow afternoon. BT should be carrying out the full Hawk test this time. I'll shut up until after the engineer's visit now!  Smiley
Mand
Grafter

Yeah, I've confirmed with Rami that it's definitely going to happen, and that we've specified they should do the full hawk test.
twentythree
Grafter

I've just spoken to my girlfriend who was at the flat today - don't know if he did the pair quality test but apparently the BT engineer has physically replaced a wire on the D side. I think this wire is between the old GPO distribution board just inside the block of flats and the green box. I'm assuming it is all the way to the green box as I'm not sure of the exact path the wire takes as there are also telegraph poles on my street. I'll check the router stats when I get home and monitor the line over the weekend. Really hope it's sorted this time!
I believe I am on a banded profile at the moment. Can this be removed please?
Mand
Grafter

Best to wait and see if it's fixed first, as BT are reluctant to remove banding more than once (I'd be disappointed if we removed the banding and the fault wasn't fixed,  and then we were unable to get banding removed once it was reinstated).
twentythree
Grafter

Thanks Mand, that sounds sensible. I'll monitor how things are going over the weekend. Would it be a good idea to reboot the router each day to resync or should I leave it alone?
Mand
Grafter

If the line is no longer noisy I'd say it's safe to reboot once each morning.
twentythree
Grafter

Well, looks like I spoke to soon and that it was wishful thinking on my behalf that the engineer physically changed the d-side wire. From the physical evidence and the router stats over the period he was supposedly changing the wire, it looks like all he did was another pair swap. In any case I'm still left with a connection that drops out regularly and seemingly at random, excessively high SNR margins i.e. 19 - 21 dB and crashing synch speeds. What upsets me is that the engineer didn't come back to test the line after he supposedly "changed" the wires. Please can someone in DSL faults (Rami?) check the engineer's report and tell me what actually happened on Friday and what is going to happen next to resolve this?
twentythree
Grafter

Rami? Mand? Anyone?
Mand
Grafter

Hi there,
I think we were all guilty of a little wishful thinking following the engineer visit on Friday. Sad
Rami's on holiday this week, but I've got a senior faults agent looking at this for you.
twentythree
Grafter

Thanks Mand - this fault is driving me to distraction! I have almost completely lost faith in the BT engineers. The one engineer who I actually thought would finally solve the problem phoned me on a day I couldn't arrange access, promised he'd be back on the day I could but he didn't materialise!