cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trees fouling BT line

twentythree
Grafter

Re: Trees fouling BT line

Still no internet connection. Please can someone give Riyaz a nudge?
twentythree
Grafter

It has been 27 hours since the last comment from someone at PN on my fault ticket. I've had no internet connection for over 24 hours due to what appears to be a mistake made during a failed Lift & Shift.
Come on PlusNet - please don't let me down now that we seem to be on the final straight!
twentythree
Grafter

I have tried very hard to be patient with PN & BT over this fault but after 49 days I have just about reached my limit.
Please let me know when the Lift & Shift is going to happen. At the moment I am back to square one with a connection that drops intermittently several times a day and slow speeds that don't reflect the IP profile.
twentythree
Grafter

Finally got a response from someone on the faults team. BT say that the L&S did happen but it evidently hasn't cured the problem. PN have batted it back to BT as I'm still experiencing the same faults - multiple disconnections, lots of noise, very high SNR margins. In fact things are actually worse than before as I'm now syncing at less than 8000 kbps despite being on ADSL2+ and previously being able to sync at 20000 kbps. Not expecting a response from BT for a few more days. The last engineer was able to replicate the fault at the exchange - surely this would have been checked again after the L&S?!? Anyway, back to the waiting game...
twentythree
Grafter

No real response from BT after 72 hours so PN have escalated the fault (again).
The faults guy I spoke to today seemed to say that the failed Lift & Shift probably only consisted of a visual inspection of the connections and kit in the exchange. How on earth is that supposed to do anything to help? Anyway, it seems the next logical step is to physically change the connections/kit in the exchange - I think this was referred to as a re-provide (or something similar).
Back to waiting...
twentythree
Grafter

Just so people know I'm not moaning about nothing, here are my bt speed tester results and router stats:
Download speed achieved during the test was - 941 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 600-7150 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :6652 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 448 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 5500 Kbps
Uptime: 0 days, 1:00:08
DSL Type: G.992.5 annex A
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 448 / 6,655
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/kB]: 0.00 / 0.00
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 11.5 / 21.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 10.5 / 20.5
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 21.5 / 24.0
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / TSTC
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 340 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 190 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 469 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 87 / 2,536
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 87 / 8
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 10,136 / 6
As you can see - there was a noise related disconnection 1 hour ago. The PN & BT IPs are both 5500 kbps but my actual speed is nothing like that.
HPsauce
Pro
Fixes: 2

Quote from: twentythree
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 10.5 / 20.5
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 21.5 / 24.0

Attenuation identical to my 20mbps ADSL2+ line.
NM = IMMENSE!
Surley they need to get a serious SFI investigation on that line? Could be REIN?
twentythree
Grafter

Exactly. And even with a such a high noise margin I still get massive drops and regular, sporadic disconnects. Strangely I've even seen noise margin spikes of 34 dB - I didn't think this was possible but it's there on the routerstats graphs. I would suspect REIN but the last BT engineer seemed to prove that the fault lay at the exchange.
I'm glad to say that with a bit of pushing, PN are now making the right noises. Whether they have enough influence over BT to get this resolved remains to be seen.
twentythree
Grafter

The BT engineer who came today fitted an RF3 inline filter, a BT filtered faceplate and removed the banded profile. Result?
Download speed achieved during the test was - 637 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speeds is 1000-99999 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :15844 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 444 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 15000 Kbps
Uptime: 0 days, 1:49:16
DSL Type: G.992.5 annex A
Bandwidth (Up/Down) [kbps/kbps]: 446 / 15,844
Data Transferred (Sent/Received) [kB/kB]: 0.00 / 9.00
Output Power (Up/Down) [dBm]: 12.0 / 21.0
Line Attenuation (Up/Down) [dB]: 10.0 / 20.5
SN Margin (Up/Down) [dB]: 21.5 / 9.0
Vendor ID (Local/Remote): TMMB / TSTC
Loss of Framing (Local/Remote): 610 / 0
Loss of Signal (Local/Remote): 256 / 0
Loss of Power (Local/Remote): 0 / 0
Loss of Link (Remote): 0
Error Seconds (Local/Remote): 659 / 0
FEC Errors (Up/Down): 13 / 396,863
CRC Errors (Up/Down): 13 / 4,724
HEC Errors (Up/Down): 22,321 / 4,433
Amazingly my connection is actually worse than before! Two disconnections in the two hours after the connection was re-established, the SNR margin has already risen from 6dB to 9dB and needless to say, the sync speed has also dropped.
This fault was reported over 2 months ago - 10 or 11 BT engineers have been involved (I've lost count now).
Back to square one.  Cry
stallan
Grafter

Are the trees still touching/pushing the phone wire ?  Can you post a picture ?
I can foresee in time I might have a similiar situation.
twentythree
Grafter

Would somebody from Plusnet care to comment on this fault? I've had multiple D & E side pair changes, a lift & shift, a RF3 filter and BT filtered faceplate fitted - all to no avail. Still getting lots of intermittent noise on the connection leading to crashing SNR margins and disconnections.
The route that my line takes to the green cabinet has still not been confirmed so the title of this thread could still be a possibility. If it isn't a physical fault on the wire (i.e. a high resistance disconnection fault) - which has yet to be proven (as far as I know) then I can only surmise that the problem is at the exchange.
After all of the preceding BT engineer visits, pair changes, the L&S and filters, where is there left to go? A tie-pair modify? Or will I be forced to move to a LLU ISP like Be or O2?
twentythree
Grafter

Quote from: stallan
Are the trees still touching/pushing the phone wire ?  Can you post a picture ?

Hi stallan, the tree branches are still touching the overhead wires and pulling them off course but I'm still none the wiser as to whether these wires are anything to do with my telephone line! It could be that my line goes underground all the way to the green box but BT haven't confirmed the route - if they have, this information hasn't been passed on to me.
twentythree
Grafter

Well it seems no-one from PN is prepared to comment on this fault here and the only update on my ticket that tells me anything new is that the fault has been returned to BT. I do appreciate that the fault is still being pursued but the lack of information is frustrating.
I still don't know the route my line takes.
I've contacted Virgin Media today to find out if they can provide a cable connection to my flat as it seems, with their track record so far, BT are unable to find the fault in their line/equipment. The trouble is, I don't think there is a cable node close enough so that might be impossible.
If PN/BT are unable to resolve this fault, would I have any luck going with a LLU ISP or would I be taking the fault with me?
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi twentythree,
I'm sorry it's been so long since we replied here. Basically we're now escalating this to the complex faults team having done all the necessary things (jumpers, lift and shift etc) and one of the escalations agents at our suppliers is chasing the engineer to address the conflict between the notes we received and his comment to you that "the fault is 65 metres down the line".
We're hoping to get an update on both the escalation to complex faults and the engineer later on this afternoon but unfortunately it may be tomorrow - either way we'll let you know as soon as we get it.
twentythree
Grafter

Thanks Matt,
The 65 metres comment is a bit confusing as it is second hand via my girlfriend. She mentioned that the engineer had run several tests which all passed but then one test indicated something about 65 metres. She wasn't sure what this referred to or whether that was the distance from the NTE or from the green box.
I have decided to take things into my own hands and investigate the possibility of REIN. I read somewhere that some BT engineers use the £4 portable radio from ASDA tuned to 612kHz to find sources of REIN so I picked one up today. I'll have a poke around with it tonight to see if there is anything making a lot of noise on my street or within the flats. The fact that the RF3 filter has made no difference seems to show that the REIN is not located in my flat but then again I have read that the REIN is a filter for voice frequencies.
Please can you also clear up once and for all the route my line takes to the green box? Does it go underground all the way or is part of the route via the telegraph poles?