cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trees fouling BT line

twentythree
Grafter

Re: Trees fouling BT line

My girlfriend has just seen a BT engineer up one of the telegraph poles on my street - does this have anything to do with my fault?
Mand
Grafter

Hi there,
I understand you've spoken to Riyaz today, and we're waiting to see what happens to our request to investigate the line splitter at the exchange.
twentythree
Grafter

That's right - I'm just waiting to hear back from him. He did say he would call me back with an update today.
He initially asked me to turn the router off for 24 hours but I can't see how this would make a difference to anything...
Anyway, hopefully BT will accept this as a potential fault with the line splitter and investigate it.
twentythree
Grafter

...and Riyaz just phoned (Thanks  :)) but it appears BT have neither accepted nor declined the line splitter fault. Looks like we'll have to wait until tomorrow morning for an update.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

I was just coming to say that I think Riyaz has given you a call. Let's hope for some good news tomorrow.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
twentythree
Grafter

Just spoke to Riyaz again. BT will not be investigating the line splitter (yet?) but have decided to manually set my SNR margin and sync speed then monitor the line over the next 24 hours. I'm a little concerned that this will end up with the line being deemed only suitable for a fixed 2Mb connection or something similar... With the exchange being less than a kilometre away and the line attenuation at 20dB I should really have a line that can handle ADSL2+ very well. Only thing to do now is wait for BT's judgement...
twentythree
Grafter

I have been monitoring the line with routerstats - two disconnections since the banded profile was introduced (at roughly 22.44 & 22.47 last night) the SNR margin appears to be almost max'd out at 23 dB but still shows occasional negative spikes i.e. noise spikes where the SNR margin can drop as much as 13.5 dB. Not really sure what this banded profile is proving other than that there is definitely a fault...
twentythree
Grafter

Make that 3 disconnections - I have just experienced a total loss of sync from 6.22 until 6.44. Returned to sync of 6656 kbps and SNR margin of 23 dB so doesn't seem to be related to BT trying a fix at the exchange...
twentythree
Grafter

Finally it seems BT are taking this seriously and won't fob me off again with a ten minute engineer visit. Riyaz has confirmed that there will be an engineer visiting on Monday afternoon for up to 5 hours to carry out a thorough investigation of the whole line. I really hope we are on the final straight now.
twentythree
Grafter

Finally getting somewhere! After a shaky start - the engineer said he was only there for the standard 2 hours and that he was going home at 4pm whatever the outcome - the problem appears to be down to equipment at the exchange. The engineer carried out the usual pair swaps again and tested the line - it passed every test until he removed the banded profile. Presumably, with the SNR target back to 6dB the line failed almost straight away due to noise. He then went to the exchange and replicated the fault there. It seems the kit my line is connected to in the exchange just isn't up to the job, Frustratingly, he couldn't do a lift and shift as he said this had to be requested by the ISP. Anyway, the faults team should be receiving his report and recommendation for a lift and shift in the next half hour.
Please push for the lift and shift ASAP.
Chris
Legend
Fixes: 169

Hmm, if a lift and shift is required they should be able to action it for you. We'll keep an eye out for the engineer notes and get back to you when we know the next step.
Former Plusnet Staff member. Posts after 31st Jan 2020 are not on behalf of Plusnet.
twentythree
Grafter

He was insistent that the request had to come from you - perhaps he was just keen to get home for his tea?!?
twentythree
Grafter

Checking the routerstats it appears the connection has been changed to ADSL1 Max i.e. G.992.1 annex A
I hope this changes back to ADSL2+ after the Lift & Shift.
twentythree
Grafter

Chris - I've not seen an update on my ticket following the engineer's visit. Please can you let me know what is happening? I'm hoping the Lift & Shift is something that can be arranged quickly. Also, please note that my connection has reverted to ADSL Max.
twentythree
Grafter

A Lift & Shift was booked by Riyaz at about 11am yesterday but it doesn't appear that the L&S has happened as there has been no disconnection apart from the usual intermittent disconnections. The router has stayed synced but there has been no internet connection since yesterday lunch time. The router is showing error - "Disconnected by user" whenever I try to connect and it also shows:
ATM: No ATM activity detected on your DSL line
and
PPP: Your connection is currently down
I realise the whole 24hrs since the order for the L&S hasn't passed yet but do the errors shown seem to indicate a failed L&S?