cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transparency, please, with estimated FTTC speed

pieplanter
Grafter

Re: Transparency, please, with estimated FTTC speed

Ah, Anotherone, I was praying that you would come along some time...
Quote from: Anotherone
and Plusnet must kick them until it is resolved satisfactorily.

Yep, this is central to a solution.  So, just how do you get Plusnet to get interested?  There seems to rest the biggest challenge
pieplanter
Grafter

IMHO another OR visit should not be needed until they have solved the routing issue about which cabinet you should be connected to.

'Should' or 'are'.  I know which cabinet BTOR say we are connected to (1771m away) but how would I find out which cabinet we should be connected to?
Is there an accepted definition somewhere of what a provider is allowed to call 'superfast' broadband? 
CX
Grafter

Quote from: pieplanter
'Should' or 'are'.  I know which cabinet BTOR say we are connected to (1771m away) but how would I find out which cabinet we should be connected to?

There is a leaked BT spreadsheet floating around from December 2011 (so quite old now) which lists cabinets against postcodes. It won't tell you exactly which properties are connected to each cabinet, but should indicate whether multiple cabinets serve a given postcode (although of course if the records are wrong for your line and you're the only person on that cabinet, it won't be much help). For my street for example 97% are served by Cabinet X but the remainder are on Cabinet Y.
Have you checked on the BT Wholesale checker for neighbouring properties? The postcode-only checker won't be much use but using either the telephone number or house number + postcode checker will indicate what BT think that particular property should get.
Anotherone
Champion
Fixes: 21

I've already sent him a PM on the subject, and as you've indicated, care is needed with interpretation of the data.
pieplanter
Grafter

Quote from: chrispurvey
I appreciate that you are not overly happy with the quality of service...
...we are awaiting a further update from our suppliers(due today)

@chrispurvey
I take it, then, that you didn't get the update yesterday and not today either? 
Anotherone
Champion

They are probably digging up the road as you speak to get a shorter route to the cab (not)  Roll_eyes
As per PM you may be on Cab P22, listing says a 10x uplift, so only 21M if you only had 2M on ADSL2+, but have a look around there may be a newer cab just coming online that is within this currently mythical 400m.
pieplanter
Grafter

Once more, thank you for the info; I'm going to get the cabinet numbers on my way back to the ranch this evening.
As for the lack of update, this is nothing more than I've had to put up with for the past 3 weeks.  Having said that, I've just seen this on the blog...
“Its great to be named ‘Best broadband Supplier of the Year 2012’ by readers of Computer Shopper magazine and the award is a great reflection of the high quality products and services we provide here at Plusnet.”
Does anyone know where I can get some of this?
Anotherone
Champion

Whilst I have hammered Plusnet with some criticism lately, things aren't normally as bad. DCT are men down today, so getting to all the threads has not been possible I guess.
Faults update will depend on OR/BTw feedback, and whilst BTw might be saying this is a long line they may take longer to provide feedback to PN - takes longer to get out the other end of the longer wire  Roll_eyes
pieplanter
Grafter

@Anotherone
Well done you.  We are connected to cabinet P22 which, the BTOR engineer told me, makes us 1771m long.  There is a nearer green cabinet, marked 34, which is only 350m away but that doesn't have the flashy 'superfast broadband is here' poster on the doors.
What this obviously means is that Plusnet got it wrong when they gave us estimated speeds of 33Mb up and 5Mb down.  That being the case, I now want Plusnet to come and take their gear away, and restore us back to where we were before they messed up.  And, all at no cost to us.
Just three other points:
- our current 'superfast broadband' line speed is 10.1Mb as reported by Plusnet
- I'm not bothered if this is a BT/ W/OR mistake because my contract is with Plusnet
- to everyone out there, on the 'this is only an estimated speed' bandwagon, the information that we went by, which is clearly stated everywhere on Plusnet's website, is that estimated means +/- 1Mb and NOT +/- 20Mb
In this respect, we are simply lay people.  We have to trust and rely on what we are told by the experts.  It's now time for Plusnet to make atone and release us from this misery.  TalkTalk here we come!

pieplanter
Grafter

Whilst I have hammered Plusnet with some criticism lately...

Obviously, I don't know what line of business you're in, but in mine you simply don't let your customers down; good communication is God.  An email or text takes what, 2 minutes of anyone's time?  No excuse, I'm afraid
Anotherone
Champion

The "Plusnet estimate" will have been taken directly from BT Wholesale data. Put your number into https://www.btwholesale.com/pages/static/Community/Broadband_Community/Coverage/ADSL_Availibility_Ch...; I'd be very interested to see what it says now - click on the link towards the bottom of the page - don't post your number.
As for TT, you are joking, have you seen http://community.plus.net/forum/index.php/topic,108596.html
pieplanter
Grafter

@Anotherone
For Telephone Number 01209##### on Exchange REDRUTH
Your exchange is ADSL enabled, and our initial test on your line indicates that your line should be able to have an ADSL broadband service that provides a fixed line speed up to 1Mbps. However due to the length of your line the 1Mbps service may require an engineer visit who will, where possible, supply the broadband service.
Our test also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL Max broadband line speed of 3Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 1.5Mbps and 5Mbps.
Our test also indicates that your line should be able to have an ADSL2+ broadband service that provides a fixed line speed up to 1Mbps. However due to the length of your line the 1Mbps service may require an engineer visit who will, where possible, supply the broadband service.
Our test also indicates that your line currently supports an estimated ADSL2+ broadband line speed of 3Mbps; typically the line speed would range between 1.5Mbps and 4Mbps.
Our test also indicates that your line currently supports a fibre technology with an estimated WBC FTTC Broadband where consumers have received downstream line speed of 33.8Mbps and upstream line speed of 5.9Mbps.

What do you make of this?
As for TalkTalk.  We've been there before.  When it works you can't buy better Cheesy
Anotherone
Champion

Well, what I make of that is another BTw/OR foul up and Plusnet gets the flack.  Roll_eyes
That said, the estimates for ADSL(2+) suggest your line is not behaving as it should. Can you hear/have heard any audible crackling or other noises when using the phone? Have you had any problems with incoming or outgoing calls?
As for TT, did you read all that thread, clearly it could cost dearly when they foul up  Shocked
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Quote from: pieplanter
Our test also indicates that your line currently supports a fibre technology with an estimated WBC FTTC Broadband where consumers have received downstream line speed of 33.8Mbps and upstream line speed of 5.9Mbps.

The wording of that paragraph leaves a lot to be desired but I've always assumed it means many customers attached to your cabinet receive those speeds. I assume these are those at more normal distances from the cabinet.
David
pieplanter
Grafter

Well, what I make of that is another BTw/OR foul up and Plusnet gets the flack.  Roll_eyes

As customer we deal with Plusnet.  If, in turn, Plusnet has an issue with one of their suppliers then surely it's up to Plusnet to put the procedures in place to deal with those issues promptly?  In my case we're 3 weeks down the line and, as far as I can see, Plusnet haven't done anything!
That said, the estimates for ADSL(2+) suggest your line is not behaving as it should. Can you hear/have heard any audible crackling or other noises when using the phone? Have you had any problems with incoming or outgoing calls?

The only thing I can detect is that the sound is slightly 'muffled' but that's because the telephone is a cheap and cheerful five quid Argos jobbie
As for TT, did you read all that thread, clearly it could cost dearly when they foul up  Shocked

TalkTalk is a tongue in cheek remark.  What I'm leaning very rapidly is that you 'pays your money and takes your chance'.  I have been saying for some now that we should pay a bit extra and go to a class provider that can deliver, whatever the problem.