cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transferring a domain to PlusNet

BertCoules
Grafter

Transferring a domain to PlusNet

Currently, though PlusNet is my ISP, I have a domain registered with another company.  It would seem to make more sense to have everything under one roof, so to speak, but for some reason I can't find any straightforward information on how to do it.
I looked at the Transfer a Domain option on the Member Centre pages.  It asks for the domain name and few other very basic things and then offers a button marked "submit", which I'm a bit reluctant to press until I know a little more.
Is the entire process handled by PlusNet, without me needing to contact my existing domain hoster at all?
Will email forwarding also be automatically switched?
Will I need to reload my website files to a new PlusNet-owned address?
And what does all this cost?
If anyone could point me to a source of information on all this, I'd be very grateful.
Bert Coules
7 REPLIES 7
gswindale
Grafter

Re: Transferring a domain to PlusNet

PN charge £1/month for the domain name, so there are cheaper alternatives around.
As to the other points I'm not entirely too sure, but you would have to d/l your entire site from your existing host and reupload it onto PN space if you decide to transfer everything across.
itsme
Grafter

If you transfer a domain in the cost is £52.88 for two years. See here
prichardson
Grafter

The cost and process will depend on the domain type.
The bulk of the process and documentation is found in the following support page: http://www.plus.net/support/domains_and_dns/hosting/domainin.shtml
In all cases, you are going to need to upload a copy of your website to our servers, unless your current host offers the option to point your domain at them when hosted with us for example. They will need to provide you with some settings, how you enter these will depend on what they provide (if you don't understand them, raise a support request with us or post here and I am sure the boffins here will help).
We wont be offering you with email forwarding directly, we will host and store the email for you. You then collect your mail using a unique username and password depending on how you configure your email address with us.
Where do you currently forward email to? (don't provide the email address, just which email service they go to) This may help us answer what you want to do.
Costs depend on the domain type as above. What does the domain name end with.
.com/.net/.org ?
.uk.com/.gb.com/.uk.org?
.co.uk/.me.uk/.org.uk?
Strat
Community Veteran
Fixes: 565

...or have a look at Plusnet's sister companies http://www.just-the-name.co.uk/pricing.shtml or http://www.pay-as-you-host.com/price.php
Windows 10 Firefox 109.0 (64-bit)
To argue with someone who has renounced the use of reason is like administering medicine to the dead - Thomas Paine
BertCoules
Grafter

Thanks very much for the speedy replies.  Phil Richardson, thanks for the link: I'll take a look.  The domain is a .co.uk one, specifically, "bertcoules.co.uk" . 
I'm not sure what exactly you mean by "which email service".  At present, my hosting company forwards mail addressed to "mail@---" followed by my domain name to my plusnet email address, and I pick it up via an account in Outlook Express (when it works).  I would need to be sure that this could continue if I transfer the domain to PlusNet.
As I said, it just seems sensible and neat (and perhaps more efficient) to have one company handle the domain and my internet access.  But maybe I'm wrong about that?
Bert
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

All of PlusNets / Just the Name pricing is way too high compared to the main stream registration companies so I would not recommend you use either for your domain.
Instead register with someone like www.daily.co.uk (which I use) or www.1and1.co.uk (which I used to use until they put their prices up - still much cheaper than PN) and if necessary just host your domain on your PlusNet account for free.
chickendippers
Grafter

With a .uk domain name you'll need to retag the IPS tag, this is done through your current registrar. It's usually automatic, but you may need to contact them. Then you place the transfer order on the plusnet website.