cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Transfer to ADSL2+ slower sync speed than expected

ErnieBert
Dabbler

Transfer to ADSL2+ slower sync speed than expected

I recently moved home from a ADSL1 connection at roughly 2Mbps to a new house which the BT DSL checker said should be able to achieve around 15Mbps.  I was stuck on ADSL1 for a week or so but today I have been switched onto the 21CN network and my sync speed has gone from 8128 to 12599 (full stats in the screenshot), I thought that with an attenuation of around 26 I should be looking at a higher sync speed than 12.5Mbps?
Also my plusnet speed profile has yet to catch up with the change in sync speed, I assume this was catch up in a day or two, although last time I had to request for it to be changed manually.
Thanks,
Mark
19 REPLIES 19
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Transfer to ADSL2+ slower sync speed than expected

From a position of not knowing very much there looks to be a problem with interference causing the dips.
Can you check if the ring wire is connected as it might be acting as an aerial http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/socket.htm also, if possible try the test socket and see if the graph changes
ErnieBert
Dabbler

Yeah I see what you mean about the dips.  I'd very much like to use the test socket but I tried to remove the faceplate and the left hand screw won't come out (or back in for that matter) so I'll have to leave it as it is or get a hacksaw to remove the head of the screw, there's always something to make it complicated!
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi ErnieBert,
The SNR is not causing any sync issues. If you can get it in the test socket then we could take a further look.
Jojo Smiley
ErnieBert
Dabbler

Thanks JoJo, will endeavour to get the faceplate off and update you with the results, in the meantime could you manually tweak my line speed up to the max for my current sync speed (it's on 7.15 at the moment)
Thanks,
Mark
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi Mark,
I have raised your profile to 11000 to allow for your new BT IP profile. This should take effect shortly.
Jojo Smiley
ErnieBert
Dabbler

Okay so I managed to get the faceplace off with a bit of delicate hacksawing  Tongue  I plugged my router into the test socket and got the attached results, obviously there's quite a bit of interference from the house wiring.  Would you now recommend disconnecting the ring wire?
Thanks,
Mark
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

Options now depend on whether the router can remain permanently plugged in to the master socket. If it can http://www.adslnation.com/products/xte2005.php may be your best bet as the extension sockets will be connected to the filtered side.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
ErnieBert
Dabbler

Yes the router normally sits right next to the master socket, is it hard to install one of those faceplates?
w23
Pro
Fixes: 4

http://www.adslnation.com/downloads/docs/XTE-2005_Guide.pdf
The only 'tricky' bit is reconnecting your extension wiring, you'll need an IDC tool something like this http://www.amazon.co.uk/Mercury-Punchdown-IDC-Tool/dp/B0012IKL7Q to do that part properly.
Call me 'w23'
At any given moment in the universe many things happen. Coincidence is a matter of how close these events are in space, time and relationship.
Opinions expressed in forum posts are those of the poster, others may have different views.
ErnieBert
Dabbler

Okay I'll get one of those in the near future and have a go at fitting it, thanks for your helpful replies.  In the meantime I have disconnected the bell wire and reconnected the face plate, my speed has gone down again but only to 14655.  If you're still looking at this Jojo then would it be possible to bring my speed profile up to that level and also uncap my upstream speed?  When I get the new faceplate fitted I'll be back to ask for another speed bump!
iainmacmillan
Grafter

I have fitted a few iPlate units now to remove the ring/orange wire issue.  if your extension lead has a BT plug then you just need the iPlate and the supplied longer screws and then fit the filter as normal and connect the ext. to the filter along with the router.
have had a few cases when ext.'s have been fitted badly for Sky TV and those caused a few issues/interference.
ErnieBert
Dabbler

I've already removed the ring wire which has improved things and ordered the filtered faceplate, I think that's the best way to go, thanks for the advice though.
ErnieBert
Dabbler

So the ADSL filtered faceplate arrived, it was a doddle to fit and now the speed is back up where it should be around 16800  Smiley  Could someone increase my plusnet IP profile to 14000, I believe that's where it's meant to be now.
I did have a bit of a play with the SNR margin in DMT and had success in getting a higher sync speed but then the internet wouldn't work and I had to reset the router.  Can plusnet set your target SNR from their end to lower than 6dB, I'd probably just want to go with 5dB, just because I'm so close to a 15000 IP profile!
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi there,
Just tweaked your profile for you, given you're syncing at just over 14650 I've adjusted the profile to 14600 to match that - please let us know if that doesn't make any difference.