Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Training period - lower sync speeds

MickKi
Grafter

Training period - lower sync speeds

Hi All,
Last week I moved to Plusnet from Metronet and I noticed that I cannot sync at 5.7-5.9Mbps as I used to.  Now I seem to only get a max of 4.9Mbps, but only if I sync at 06:00 in the morning.  Re-sync at any other time and I drop down to 4.3-4.7Mbps.  This seems to be the opposite to the pattern of sync speeds I had with Metronet, whereby the later in the morning I re-sync'ed the higher the speed (I believe that my line has a wet joint somewhere and the speeds rise as the day gets warmer/drier).
What I should explain first is that at the time of the switchover to the Plusnet network I experienced an adsl-filter failure (I am suspecting that this is related to tests done on the line by BT at the time, as this is the second filter I have failing coincidental with the line being checked by BT, but I digress).  Anyway, when the filter failed the line was flapping for about 12 hours until I returned home and changed it.  With new filters all around and telephones disconnected (just in case), the sync speeds remain low.  In essence, I am now seeing a corresponding 1Mbps lower sync speed than before, which I fear will be accompanied by a lower IP Profile and what really matters to me:  lower download speeds. Sad
I also noticed that the ADSL modem is showing a Noise Margin of 10-12dB, when before the filter failure it was seating happily at 6dB (with Metronet).  Unfortunately, my Netgear DG834v1 does not have the adslctl command in its firmware for me to tweak it south, so that I can hopefully get a higher sync speed.
Given the above, can you perhaps explain why I see these lower sync speeds during the training period?  Will this result at a lower IP Profile after the 10 days?
--
Regards,
Mick
7 REPLIES 7
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Re: Training period - lower sync speeds

First, you only go through the 10 day training period when you first connect to ADSL Max.
If you disconnect and reconnect your router and you are still seeing a DS SNR of 9dB or higher, it looks like BT have raised your min SNR to 9dB or possibly 12dB as a result of your previous problems, which would then reduce the maximum sync rate you can achieve.
First, if you really are in a 10 day Max training period you have to wait for that to complete. Then if you min SNR ios still 9dN or 12dB, raise a ticket, explain about your previous problems and ask for your target SNR to be reset back to 6dB.
MickKi
Grafter

Quote from: Peter
First, you only go through the 10 day training period when you first connect to ADSL Max.

He, he, tell that to Plusnet CS, who confirmed three times that this is the case (I wouldn't believe them) because I moved over from another network.  Tongue
That said, the regrade may involve requesting a retraining from BTW.  Don't know really.
If you disconnect and reconnect your router and you are still seeing a DS SNR of 9dB or higher, it looks like BT have raised your min SNR to 9dB or possibly 12dB as a result of your previous problems, which would then reduce the maximum sync rate you can achieve.

I must have resync'ed about half a dozen times over the last week.  Each time I check the stats after the resync I see values higher than 10 and more often closer to 12.  It seems to me that the flapping line due to the failed filter has had BT increasing my Noise Margin to stabilise the line.
First, if you really are in a 10 day Max training period you have to wait for that to complete. Then if you min SNR ios still 9dN or 12dB, raise a ticket, explain about your previous problems and ask for your target SNR to be reset back to 6dB.

Thanks, I will.  However, given that BT invariably ignore such calls, would you know if the margin will reset on its own back to 6dB after a week or so?
--
Regards,
Mick
MickKi
Grafter

Thank you all.  I'll give it a week or so and if it does not improve I will be raising a ticket in the hope of accelerating the reseting of my Noise Margin.
--
Regards,
Mick
zubel
Community Veteran

Raise a ticket, and PM Jameseh on the boards here.  He loves doing the dance with BT getting an SNR margin reduction Wink
B.
Peter_Vaughan
Grafter

Getting the Margin reduced is, I am told, easier than it was previously but still involves a lot of manual processes / phones calls between PN and BT.
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Actually it has become a lot easier, I've raised a fault with a request and had it actioned within half an hour and suspect that this will continue to be the case, though we've also now managed to learn the correct terminology for how to request it from their callcentre agents so even if a call is required it should still be done sharpish.
MickKi
Grafter

QUICK UPDATE:
On the 8th day after the transfer I seem to have acquired an IP Profile! Smiley  I suspect that the training period has now been completed, albeit with a rather lower BRAS than I expected.  BT speedtester shows an IP Profile of 3500 (as opposed to my previous 5000).
Also, I soon noticed a consistently higher Noise Margin between 14-16dB!!  So, I resync'ed and I managed to get a slightly higher link speed at 5022 which will get me an IP Profile of 4000.
The Noise Margin is now steady at 11dB.  If it increases later on and a further resync reduces it below 9, I will assume that as part of the line training at the exchange the Noise Margin is perhaps being fixed and later released to find its own level when the training is completed.  Will see how this plays out.
--
Regards,
Mick