cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Training period happyness

Hudson
Dabbler

Training period happyness

I have recently moved to Plusnet  from Virgin  ???, after all the problems (14 weeks and counting)with virgin. I was very happy on monday night when i setup my connection, done a few ping/ traceroutes through out the night never going about 50ms to BBC server, and bt speed tests of 1500kbps (on a 2000k profile). So over the last 3 days i have been checking speeds and pings/traceroutes and have been more than happy even playing over xbox live was fun again, but tonight has been terrible.
  BT have dropped my profile to 1250k and tonights downloads speeds have dropped right of to as low as 130kbps with a high of 240kbps, but pings have not really gotten alot higher, about 55ms.
why would BT drop my profile ?
i do understand that my line is in a training period, but i cannot see this being a happy ending.
Grin
13 REPLIES 13
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: Training period worry's

IP Profile depends on sync speed as shown in Kitz's table here.  That table includes the relatively new intermediate profiles at lower sync speeds; the equivalent one on the portal (here) is yet to be updated with that information.
The portal reference gives background to maxDSL, including what happens during the training period, which you might find interesting.
David
Mand
Grafter

Hi there,
Welcome to the forums. Smiley
As Peter says, your IP profile is dependent on your synchronisation speed. If your profile has dropped by a large amount this is normally down to lots of resyncs (as the kit in the exchange drops your speed to improve stability).
Once the training period is over if you're still having problems we can raise a fault for you.
James
Grafter

Hello there,
I've written at length about the shortcomings and goings of the IPStream Max product.  If you have a look at my signature, there is a link that explains how these kind of things happen.
I've run a test on your line which reveals the following:
- With a downstream line attenuation of 63.5dB, you are a long, long way from your exchange.  Because ADSL is distance from the exchange dependant and 63.5dB is the highest reported (ie: it could be higher, but we would be unable to see that) you would be unlikely to see any improvement speeds over 1500Kbps.
- You are currently gaining a synchronisation speed of 1536Kbps with your exchange.  As such, BT have assigned you a profile speed of 1250Kbps. In order to get a profile of 1500Kbps, you need to gain and maintain a synchronisation speed of 1728Kbps.
Regarding the fluctuating speeds that you are seeing, this won't be down to your IP Profile speed, but could well be related to the length of your line and also your internal wiring and filtering.  I would strongly recommend that you are connecting via a filter to your master socket.  I would also strongly suggest changing the mocrofilter.
You us know how you get on.
Hudson
Dabbler

spraxyt, cheers for that information.
Mand, again cheers for the reply.
Jameseh, cheers for looking into my concerns, as you have posted the profile is proberbly the best i will get considering the length of my line (8km as the crow fly's) and i do accept this. I origanlly posted over on the thinkbroadband forumns with all my information and i was informed that 1mb is more than likely the best i will get and i do accept this, I really only need a minium of 1mb to run x-box live.
What i find strange is that for 3 days i was getting a 1.1mb peak time speed on a 2000k profile  (which was great),without any loss of connection, but now peak time speeds have fallen to as low as 0.2mb speed with a 1250k profile,  the length of the line made no diffrence for 3days so why would it now ?
I have 1 telephone in the house both this and my router are connected to master socket (I have a filtered face plate on order).
Thanks for any advice
Hudson

Hudson
Dabbler

Just thought i would update you all on how my time with plusnet was getting on.
Im still on a 1250k profile which is OK by me as i have managed to get 20+hours of X-Box live without any lagg at all, download speeds have been stableand usable.
What can i say other than cheers plusnet, you have supplied me with a usable stable connection that another ISP said was impossible to supply, and twice as fast as my next door neigbour gets with BT.

BTW i have got a ADSL Nation face plate and RJ11 cable on order so i will let you know if this gives any improvement.
Cheers Hudson

James
Grafter

Hi Hudson,
That's great news and I'm glad that everything has worked out well.
Do you know how far away from the exchange you are?  I recently activated someone in Cumbria 12km from their exchange and they're able to sync at roughly 800Kbps!
Hudson
Dabbler

Hi Jameseh
I thought i was about 8km Lips_are_sealed  from the exchange, but upon checking again im only 2.8km as the crow flies so not nearly as long as i thought.

I will post some stats from my router and BT Speed test later today when i get home form work.
I just feels sorry for my next door neigbour who only has a 500k IP profile  and his master socket is on 5ft away from mine, so im well happy with my 1250k profile.
Hudson
Hudson
Dabbler

Here's the stats that i promised.
BT First

Test1 comprises of Best Effort Test:  -provides background information.
    IP profile for your line is - 1250 kbps
    DSL connection rate: 448 kbps(UP-STREAM)  1536 kbps(DOWN-STREAM)
    Actual IP throughput achieved during the test was - 869 kbps

Router Second
                                Downstream     Upstream

Data Rate(Kbps)          1536                   448 

Noise margin (dB)         9.5                     14.0 

Output power (dBm)    16.3                    12.1 

Attenuation (dB)          63.5                    31.5 
Regards Hudson.

James
Grafter

Hi Hudson,
That's pretty decent considering how far from the exchange you are Smiley
Hudson
Dabbler

Re: Training period happyness

Yeah im more than happy with my service from plusnet, Does everything i asked for.
Also got an ADSL faceplate and RJ11 cable due from ADSL Nation, so that might help a little but not expecting too much (mainly on order cause my 11month old son keeps trying to play with my dangly filter :P)
Now i  just got fight on my hands with my ex isp who refuse point blankly refund me for 13 weeks with out service and telephone calls to there tech service people at premium rate + cancellation fee totaling £150.
Great customer service from them.
Anyway Cisas are on the case so hopefully i will get a result.
Hudson
Hudson
Dabbler

Not wanting to sound stupid but is a lower noise margin better ?
I have recieved my adsl nation faceplate and RJ11 cable and this is todays results.

Downstream     Upstream

Data Rate(Kbps)          1632                448 

Noise margin (dB)        7.6                   14.0 

Output power (dBm)   16.8                  12.3 

Attenuation (dB)          63.5                  31.5 

Edited as Noise margin has dropped
Hudson
Dabbler

Cheers for the reply PJ
been doing a bit of digging on the net today so starting to understand all this ADSL stuff a little bit better (was a cable bb user before moving to liverpool).
Looks like to new face plate and RJ11 cable have made quite a bit diffrence as my noise margin has fallen again

Downstream    Upstream

Data Rate(Kbps)          1632                  448 

Noise margin (dB)        5.7                    14.0 

Output power (dBm)    16.8                  12.3 

Attenuation (dB)          63.5                  31.5

Regards Hudson
James
Grafter

BT will basically force your SNR down as low as possible (to 6dB at lowest) as long as you are still seeing stable synchronisation.  The lower the SNR will result in a higher obtainable synchronisation speed.
In some cases, where they see periods of instability, they will assign a higher "target" SNR to make sure that intermittency does not become a problem.