cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Traffic Shaping?

torbayguy
Grafter

Traffic Shaping?

Just wondered if this abit of traffic shaping?
My line profile has risen today to 13meg, with plusnet capping me at just over 15meg for now, and heres the results.

Line state Connected
Connection time 1 day, 1:59:43
Downstream 15,106 Kbps
Upstream 1,208 Kbps

ADSL settings
VPI/VCI 0/38
Type PPPoA
Modulation ITU-T G.992.5
Latency type Interleaved
Noise margin (Down/Up) 5.3 dB / 6.9 dB
Line attenuation (Down/Up) 27.5 dB / 14.6 dB
Output power (Down/Up) 0.0 dBm / 12.5 dBm

I reckon I will check it during off peak hours and see if theres much improvement.
9 REPLIES 9
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 385

Re: Traffic Shaping?

My line profile has risen today to 13meg,

Is that your BT IP profile or has your PlusNet profile also gone up to 13meg?. Don't forget you will need to disconnect ( the PPP at least! ) and reconnect for your new Plusnet profile to be effective.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

torbayguy
Grafter

My bt profile is 13meg, and plusnet is 15meg.
I have already reset the router.
torbayguy
Grafter

My speed has now dropped to this..

Download speedachieved during the test was - 4206 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 1000-99999 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :14602 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 1219 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 13000 Kbps
The throughput of Best Efforts (BE) classes achieved during the test is - 20.57:16.17:63.27 (SBE:NBE:PBE)
These figures represent the ratio while sententiously passing Sub BE, Normal BE and Priority BE marked traffic.
The results of this test will vary depending on the way your ISP has decided to use these traffic classes. 
?There is nothing wrong with my setup before anybody asks!
torbayguy
Grafter

speed is much better, but my line profile has now dropped from 13meg to 12meg..
Download speedachieved during the test was - 11907 Kbps
For your connection, the acceptable range of speedsis 1000-99999 Kbps.
Additional Information:
Your DSL Connection Rate :14778 Kbps(DOWN-STREAM), 1208 Kbps(UP-STREAM)
IP Profile for your line is - 12000 Kbps
The throughput of Best Efforts (BE) classes achieved during the test is - 13.14:25.25:61.61 (SBE:NBE:PBE)
These figures represent the ratio while sententiously passing Sub BE, Normal BE and Priority BE marked traffic.
MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

speed is much better, but my line profile has now dropped from 13meg to 12meg..

Thats just because you've been a little unlucky with your sync speeds. The minimum sync for a 13000 Profile is 14752 your previous sync was below that so BT would have altered your profile down to 12000 after a little while. You're now synching above 14752 so it will go back up to 13000 eventually if you maintain that synch. Try and keep your router connected for a few days to let the synch speed stabilise. If you need to disconnect to get a modified Plusnet profile active then try just disconnecting/reconnecting the PPP connection ( how you do that depends on your router ) rather than doing a complete resynch.
If you have the PlusNet TG585v7, then looking at the manual, then it looks like on the 'Broadband connection' page there is a section for the 'DSL connection' and a section for 'Internet connection'.  Its the internet connection section that controls the PPP connection to Plusnet. In the manual it shows a 'connect' button so i presume that changes to a 'disconnect' button when its connected.

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

torbayguy
Grafter

Im using a bt homehub2.
It has a connect/disconnect button that I use, but to be honest I never touch it, unless I have to.
Speed is getting better though, and boy what a difference it makes.

MisterW
Superuser
Superuser

m using a bt homehub2.
It has a connect/disconnect button that I use, but to be honest I never touch it, unless I have to.

I'm not familiar with the Home Hub details and it seems impossible to download a 'proper' manual. The main thing to bear in mind is that when BT raise your profile then the PlusNet should follow within 24 hours.  You need to disconnect/reconnect your connection to PlusNet for this new profile to be implemented. What you don't want to do ( particularly in the afternoon/evening ) is to resynch with the exchange and maybe drop your synch speed again. Hence the suggestion that you should just disconnect the PPP/Internet connection ( however thats done on the Home Hub ) so that you get the updated profile active but don't lose synch.

torbayguy
Grafter

Yea thats what Ive been doing MisterW.
The homehub is there much idiot proof, thats probably why theres no manual for it.
I only use it because the wireless is amazing on it!
torbayguy
Grafter

speed is definately on the up.
Completely stable connection also.

Considering my line profile is 12meg at the moment, I would say thats pretty dam close!