cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Traffic Shaping to a rediculous extent?

FredPlatt

Traffic Shaping to a rediculous extent?

Hey guys. The good news is that the optin for 8MB i did around a year ago has finally kicked in so offpeak im getting some severely awesome download speed.
My problem right now however is that the internet has become unusable. I'm not downloading excessive amounts in off peak, and i havent gone over my limit or even close to the point of being shaped.
Yet for some reason many webpages are loading slower than they did on a 56k modem. Downloads in peak time are at 38kbps. Now i get that speeds have to be slower in peak. But that amount is absolutely rediculous.
Due to download speeds of 800kb at night i no that my line is as is the service. So why is my internet taking such a hit?
Iv'e got an edge internet package on my iphone and im loading pages better on that!
All the best,
Danny
7 REPLIES 7
scootie
Grafter

Re: Traffic Shaping to a rediculous extent?

i was going to strat new theard but will post here as i have seen the plus side of the traffic managment the complete oppiste to the OP
i started to download a 300mb file by torrent and was getting the expected speed limit 32KB/s for my option 3 package  till 8pm as soon as 8pm came bang it was coming down at my line speed. Even between 8pm and 10pm the expected is still 32KB/s
iam on the under used gateway so i thought i would see greater than expected speeds from the start and was just wondering if some one could explain how the intelgent side of the traffic managment works ie does it only reconfiger its rules on the start of the time periods on the expected speed page
but still if it did it this way i would of thought being on the under used gateway that the intellgent ever changing side of the traffic managment would of all ready have raised the speed limit before the 8pm to 10 pm time block.
thanks
understand if you dont want to give away the secrects of the traffic managment system but thought i would ask as your allways open and honest about every thing i have asked before.
@fredd plat. have u set your pc up to best use the extra bandwidth ie mtu/rwin settings?.
i would of said jump on a diffrent gateway but as its webpages as well i think its most likely that your settings not right for the extra speed.
which pacakge are you on?
what type of download was it you where getting that 32KB/s? as this sounds like the expected peak time cap on p2p.
but your webpages should not slow down during peak hours this is the reason traffic managment is in place to protect such traffic as webpage browsing,streaming,gaming,voip calls ect
if you havent come across it all ready heres the table of expected speedshttp://www.plus.net/support/broadband/quality_broadband/speed.shtml
techguy
Grafter

Traffic management can seem worse if your line has a low sync.
Could always try disconnecting the router for 30 mins from the mains and then reconnect it and see that helps as it should try and resync at the highest speed possible.
scootie
Grafter

whats your sync rate got to do with the traffic managment.
if the OP is meaning he can download at 800KB/s after midnight this means his got around a 6500kbps+ profile.
as you can see from my exprince techguy why the network is in high demand opartion it is very strict with the traffic cap rules.
all i can say to the op is head for pcl-ag03 why its so under used.
techguy
Grafter

I'm trying to do that myself but cant check as usertools seems to be down still

Perhaps the OP is having the same problem that I did as the pages they are trying to visit are hosted on CDNs which a lot of content providers including game publishers seem to use these days.
scootie
Grafter

cant check what? gateway if so do a cmd prmt tracert
thats if mr.techy uses windows as his OS
techguy
Grafter

Ah yes, not thinking, must be a sunday night
scootie
Grafter

no what you mean.
i went up the garget o put some air in my tyre's and put me 50p in to the vacum machine doh