cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Traffic Management on Value Fibre

mcg
Dabbler

Re: Traffic Management on Value Fibre

Mine as well. I measured 10Mb between 20.00 - 22.00 but as it was in the 10 day 'training period' I thought maybe it was part of that process. Seems it may have been the above.
Mike
WWWombat
Grafter

I just took a look at the UserGroup product comparison tool at http://usergroup.plus.net/newprodcomp.php, which forwards to http://usergroup.plus.net/prodcomp1.php.
For both Value Fibre & Extra Fibre, it shows Browsing as a single block of green (suggesting "line speed", from the key above), with the word "Managed". Gaming is similar, but the green is slightly differently coloured for Value Fibre (still suggesting "line speed", but now in "bronze") and it is labelled "Slowed".
I think that comparison perhaps needs an update for those rows, as the speed reductions are now comparable to some of the other restrictions lower in the table. Certainly they don't merit the "line speed" green indication.
(The comparison also needs some updates for the Fibre Pro packages - there's some "-1" coloured with titanium that don't seem right).
I'm also still not won over with the concept of slowing "Browsing" to speeds less than ADSL2+ lines, on a package that costs £10 more.
Plusnet Customer
Using FTTC since 2011. Currently on 80/20 Unlimited Fibre Extra.
KevinG
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Quote from: WWWombat
I'm also still not won over with the concept of slowing "Browsing" to speeds less than ADSL2+ lines, on a package that costs £10 more.
That's what irked me as well - browsing is at full line speed at all times on Plusnet value which, as you say, could be substantially more than 10Mb (although I was never personally in a position to receive such speeds on ADSL). The limitation on Value Fibre seems irrational (be it 10Mb or 20Mb).
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

I just took a look at the UserGroup product comparison tool …

Thanks for the comments on the tool. Updating it for the recent product changes was quite a major task and there may be a few glitches. We'll take another look at the information presented. Smiley
David
David
phil4
Grafter

Quote from: KevinG
That's what irked me as well - browsing is at full line speed at all times on Plusnet value which, as you say, could be substantially more than 10Mb (although I was never personally in a position to receive such speeds on ADSL). The limitation on Value Fibre seems irrational (be it 10Mb or 20Mb).

I agree it's not great.
I wonder if this stems from the desire to not let it run at full speed, because that's too much, and the desire to make numbers round and easy to remember.
To try and meet all parties would leave 30 or 35 as the only real choices that work (25 being too close to ADSL 2+ in my mind).
KevinG
Rising Star

Well I'd settle for 20, as that's what was advertised, obviously 25 would be better and I don't see the relevance of it being "too close to ADSL 2+" - it is slightly faster than anyone would ever get with ADSL 2+ and that seems like a very good figure to me for a product that is supposed to be superior!
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

I'm pretty sure this is why the matrix on the portal was 'changed' to 20mbps (this was done before it was published BTW). For whatever reason though, this has not been done in practice. There's a good chance the system will be updated, rather than the portal content but I don't really want to commit to anything until I've spoken to a few more people here...
Quote from: spraxyt
I just took a look at the UserGroup product comparison tool …

Thanks for the comments on the tool. Updating it for the recent product changes was quite a major task and there may be a few glitches. We'll take another look at the information presented. Smiley

Thanks for that David! Smiley

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Quote from: Bob

I'm pretty sure this is why the matrix on the portal was 'changed' to 20mbps (this was done before it was published BTW). For whatever reason though, this has not been done in practice. There's a good chance the system will be updated, rather than the portal content but I don't really want to commit to anything until I've spoken to a few more people here...

Right, the forecasting is going to need revising before (if?) we change the rate limit from 10mbps to 20mbps. In the interim we'll get the portal content updated to reflect what's actually happening. In all likelihood that'll probably be done Tuesday of next week...

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

KevinG
Rising Star

Customer Support has now confirmed to me that the 10Mb limit is staying (for now?) and I have been given, I think, a 50% refund of one month's subscription as compensation. Meanwhile, it's an 18-month contract. Hmm.
Edit: sorry, I'm not intending to be stroppy about this, just fair, for myself and others who have signed up on the basis of the advertised traffic management.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Right, the forecasting is going to need revising before (if?) we change the rate limit from 10mbps to 20mbps. In the interim we'll get the portal content updated to reflect what's actually happening. In all likelihood that'll probably be done Tuesday of next week...

Forecasting is done and there's a very good chance that the rate limit is increasing. We may well be able to get this done next Wednesday, so I've suggested we hold off on updating the portal content for the time being...

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

KevinG
Rising Star

Thanks Bob, I'm very glad to hear that. I hope that "very good chance" veers towards certainty!
mcg
Dabbler

Thank you Bob.
I have repeated speed tests now that my FTTC training period has completed and the 10Mb limit is indeed applied 20.00-22.00.
The Value Fibre product sold to me in April certainly had a 20Mb and not 10Mb limit for 20.00-22.00 so good to hear your information.
Look forward to it being regularised.
thanks
Mike
KevinG
Rising Star

Forecasting is done and there's a very good chance that the rate limit is increasing. We may well be able to get this done next Wednesday, so I've suggested we hold off on updating the portal content for the time being...

Bob - are you able to confirm whether this was done? I didn't get a chance to test it last night. I note that http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/speed_guide/download_speeds.shtml has been changed for Value and Extra to add the 10-11pm slot, but it still says 20Mb for Value.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI KevinG,
Value fibre will be 20Mbps on HTTP between 8-10pm from tonight.
Jojo Smiley
KevinG
Rising Star

Thanks Jojo, I'll try to remember to test it and report back.