Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Traffic Management on Value Fibre

KevinG
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

Traffic Management on Value Fibre

I posted about this on thinkbroadband but I think it got lost among some other stuff. It seems that in most evenings my download speed is being throttled to 10Mb (tested with mybroadbandspeed.co.uk or speedtest.net). I am on the maximum 38717 profile and most of the time I get speed tests in the high 30s. I don't believe this is contention as the results are repeatable and deviate very little from 10Mb. According to http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/speed_guide/download_speeds.shtml browsing is restricted to 20Mb between 6pm and 10pm. So why am I being restricted to 10Mb?
41 REPLIES 41
KevinG
Rising Star

Re: Traffic Management on Value Fibre

Just bumping this in the hope that a wonderful Plusnet person might see it  Wink
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi KevinG,
Results from speed tests would not be affected by traffic management so I'm not sure why you'd get those results. I'd suggest running the fault checker for some help with it.
Jojo Smiley
KevinG
Rising Star

Thanks Jojo - ironically my speed now is only 7Mb (profile still 38717), I've never known it that bad, even in the evening, so I think I will do as you suggest.
jim:quote
KevinG
Rising Star

Hmmm - didn't realise the fault checker was so involved - it will take a few hours as I need to run 3 separate BT speed tests!
jim:quote
KevinG
Rising Star

Ho hum - now I'm back to 37.5M and I haven't done anything! I'll do some more tests this evening
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi KevinG,
The fault checker is a diagnostic tool that is connected to the BT systems so it may have picked up a profile mismatch and rectified it.
Jojo Smiley
KevinG
Rising Star

Well, here we are again. Just after 9pm and mybroadbandspeed.co.uk, speedtest.net and thinkbroadband.com all give a speed of 10Mb +/- a few K. But the BT Speed tester gives 35589k. This has happened before. What is going on here? Something is restricting these speed tests to 10Mb in the evening. I'm not sure what the point is of continuing with the fault checker - which speed test result do I use?
Edit: I have now completed the fault checker anyway - Question #42651915
KevinG
Rising Star

Just to confirm, speed tests back to how they should be again this morning after the usual 10Mb evening aberration. I think yesterday's 7Mb daytime result was an exceptional one that can be ignored for the purposes of my query - in that case even the BT speed tester gave the 7Mb result, normally it continues to report full speed even when all of the other testers dip to 10Mb in the evening.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 315

Quote from: KevinG
According to http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/speed_guide/download_speeds.shtml browsing is restricted to 20Mb between 6pm and 10pm. So why am I being restricted to 10Mb?

Bah! I've just checked those pages with the information from the master traffic management rules sheet and there's a mismatch Sad
From what I can tell the sytstem's actually doing this ('Browsing'):
18:00-20:00 = 20Mbps
20:00-22:00 = 10Mbps
22:00-23:00 = 20Mbps
With everything else in that row marked as 'Line speed'.
I've raised a problem to have it looked into (ref: 67044), however at present I'm unable to confirm which of the two sets of rules is the one the business signed off when the products were created Undecided
Sorry for the confusion! Embarrassed
just for the record, I'm pretty sure the BT Speedtest is exempt from the rate limiting to help from a diagnostic perspective.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Is that the same for Extra fibre as well
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Insofar as the 22:00-23:00 20Mbps rate limit being missing - yes Sad
There's no 10Mbps rate limit on Extra Fibre though.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

KevinG
Rising Star

Well that would explain a lot Bob! It also contradicts what Jojo said "Results from speed tests would not be affected by traffic management", unless she was specifically referring to the BT speed tester. I must say I don't like this, I chose the package (and decided not to pay the extra £5 for the Pro add-on at present) on the basis of the speeds on that page, considering that limiting to 20Mb was no great hardship. I'm not so sure about 10Mb.
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

I suggest we wait to find out exactly what rules should be in place. Once that's been established then I can look to see if there's anything I can arrange in the way of a goodwill gesture...

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

KevinG
Rising Star

Thanks Bob, that sounds fairly promising.