cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Traffic Management of SSH and SCP/SFTP

WWWombat
Grafter

Traffic Management of SSH and SCP/SFTP

I'm trying to compare the traffic management features of our old package (ADSL Home Surf - treated as Broadband Premier Option 1) against the current ones (Specifically Pro and Premium).
One area that I'm unsure about is the treatment of SSH (and the linked SCP or SFTP), on both standard and non-standard ports.
How is SSH treated on these 2 packages? In both download speeds and traffic prioritisation.
I saw mention that SSH gets identified correctly if used on the non-standard port of 10000. Is this still true, and are there other ports I can use (I prefer it away from port 22, as it makes hacking less obvious).
According to the BBP1 chart, it ought to be classed as "everything else", but I know it can get hammered to something extremely slow on non-standard ports, making the command-line often unusable.
For the current Premium, it's hard to tell whether it should be classified as VPN (limited to 2M at time), "Other" (limited to 256K at times), or the catch-all of "Activities not listed are not restricted but are subject to Traffic Prioritisation".
For Pro, I guess there isn't a restriction as such - just the fact there is a 20GB monthly limit instead of an 80GB one.
Cheers,
  Mike
Plusnet Customer
Using FTTC since 2011. Currently on 80/20 Unlimited Fibre Extra.
2 REPLIES 2
Mand
Grafter

Re: Traffic Management of SSH and SCP/SFTP

Hi there,
SSH and SCP will be classed as VPN on Premium on 22 or 10000, so will be rate-limited to 2Mb at times. On other ports would be classed as other on Premium, so would be classified accordingly.
On Pro it would be in gold and unrestricted at all times.
SFTP is classed as external FTP, so would be subject to rate limits on your current product and on Premium, but not on Pro.
WWWombat
Grafter

Re: Traffic Management of SSH and SCP/SFTP

Thanks for that Mand,
I think in the past I've tried using 1723 as a non-standard SSH port (I guess it is really a VPN port), as it seemed to get better treament than some of the random ports I'd tried in the past.
Its good to know that there is a recognised port for this now...
Cheers,
  Mike
Plusnet Customer
Using FTTC since 2011. Currently on 80/20 Unlimited Fibre Extra.