Traffic Management FTTC

adagio
Grafter

Traffic Management FTTC

The two documents:-
http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/speed_guide/download_speeds.shtml
and
http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/speed_guide/broadband_experience.shtml
do not appear to be consistent particularly with regard to Fibre Extra. Have I missed something completely obvious?  Embarrassed
17 REPLIES 17
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Re: Traffic Management FTTC

What is it that you think isn't consistent?
KevinG
Rising Star
Fixes: 1

For a start, I noticed that there is no tick under "Browsing/email" for Extra Fibre, but browsing is slowed down between 6pm and 11pm.
WWWombat
Grafter

On the 'experience' page, both of the fibre products are reported as having traffic management for peak hours. "What are typical peak hours?" in section 2 answers: from 4PM to Midnight, both weekdays & weekends.
There are 2 answers to this: either 7AM to 1AM (during which most protocols are managed), or 6PM to 11PM (during which browsing is managed).
There isn't any aspect of TM that applies only 4PM to Midnight.
Plusnet Customer
Using FTTC since 2011. Currently on 80/20 Unlimited Fibre Extra.
StuartUK35
Grafter

Read in Laymens terms as I do/did:
Fibre Value - 2mb line for 2/3rds of the day
Fibre Extra - 5mb line for 2/3rds of the day
Paying for Pro = Fibre for all of the day Smiley Smiley Smiley  Crazy
and not slating before anyone jumps in, am happy with my service Smiley
adagio
Grafter

Quote from: Joanne
What is it that you think isn't consistent?

The second document suggests that there is no traffic management (typically) other than 4.00pm-12.00am.
"Is traffic management used during peak hours? Yes
What are typical peak hours?     Weekdays 4.00pm - 12.00am***    Weekends 4.00pm - 12.00am***"

The first lists 9 activities that are managed from 7.00am to 1.00am.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Quote from: adagio
The second document suggests that there is no traffic management (typically) other than 4.00pm-12.00am.

I agree it's not the most clear document ever, but it only says that 4-midnight is peak time,
Quote from: adagio
The first lists 9 activities that are managed from 7.00am to 1.00am.

It says that it's managed in peak time but doesn't say it's not outside that.
Jojo Smiley
WWWombat
Grafter

But funnily enough, the non-fibre Value & Extra tables show a peak time of 6PM-Midnight, *and* happen to get managed over that time.
So, is "peak time" a concept common to the network, and therefore should be common to all the documents? Or is it a concept that changes across product or product type, and can differ? In which case, is 4PM-Midnight a realistic peak for fibre? My experience (on fibre extra, no pro) says it isn't, and that 8-10PM is the only noticeable busy time - and only during some of the week.
I also agree that it isn't a very clear document - yet that is the outcome after Ofcom required that the ISPs produce clear documents to explain TM!
BT's document looks almost identical - though obviously has considerably less detail.
Plusnet Customer
Using FTTC since 2011. Currently on 80/20 Unlimited Fibre Extra.
KevinG
Rising Star

So, Jojo, are you able to recommend that it be amended? Its links with reality are pretty tenuous, I would say, and it could be considered misleading, along with the downloadable KFI documents. e.g. it explicitly states that browsing is not slowed down, when it is.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Do you mean the downloadable document says it's not slowed down?
KevinG
Rising Star

Yes, but it merely repeats the incorrect information that is in the text.
adagio
Grafter

http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/speed_guide/broadband_experience.shtml

I agree it's not the most clear document ever, but it only says that 4-midnight is peak time,

Jojo
Were I considering signing up for Extra Fibre and this was the only information on traffic management I came across I would draw the conclusion that there was no "slowing down" of any protocol other than during the hours of 4.00pm - 12.00am. Please explain why I should not do so.

http://www.plus.net/support/broadband/speed_guide/download_speeds.shtml
It says that it's managed in peak time but doesn't say it's not outside that.

Are we looking at the same document - i.e. the drop-down for Extra Fibre. It clearly states that 1.00am - 7.00am is "Line Speed" for all protocols. Email is Line Speed 24/7. Browsing is restricted to 20Mbps 6.00pm-11.00pm in contradiction to the document above.
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI guys, yes, I see what you mean now. The table says that browsing isn't slowed down but the other document shows it's 20Mb between 6-11pm. I've raised an internal problem and informed the relevant people to get this rectified.
Jojo Smiley
adagio
Grafter

But the table shows that NOTHING is slowed down other than peak hours "typically 4.00pm-12.00am" ! Unless of course senility has set in  Cry
dick:quote
jojopillo
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

HI adagio,
A little update..
All the major isp's signed up to the voluntary code of practice working to make traffic management more easily comparable and keeping the table standardised is key to that. The download/upload speeds tables linked from that page give the full picture from a Plusnet point of view, without disrupting the standardisation.
As far as the table goes we'll be updating that in our next round of reviews (March/April)
Jojo Smiley