cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Trace route requests getting lost inside plusnet network resulting in VPN and RDP connections fail

FIXED
bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer
Fixes: 316

Re: Trace route requests getting lost inside plusnet network resulting in VPN and RDP connections...

Probably going to be hassle, but it's worth you trying a factory reset of the router before we send a replacement. The symptoms aren't particularly indicative of a hardware fault.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team
If I've been helpful then please give thanks ⤵

combitz
Dabbler

Re: Trace route requests getting lost inside plusnet network resulting in VPN and RDP connections...

Okay thanks,

Yea something is not right as my wife's mobile has just dropped internet, connected to WiFi without issues but now no connection. I've been up 19 hours after 4 hours sleep due to travel so may do this tomorrow when I can focus a little better in getting it all set up again and I'll update on progress. Much appreciated Bob.

combitz
Dabbler

Hi Bob,

Sorry for the delay. 

I tried the "VPN lock" option on my hub to lock port 500 however this still failed.

I have now completed a factory reset on my hub and the VPN still fails to complete the connection. I have tried a laptop supplied by work which connects perfectly from other external work and this also fails in the same way from my home connection, packets go out and nothing gets routed back so I do not believe it is anything on my local pc.

I will update this with the nslookup tests you requested later this evening however I don't believe they will show anything different. 

Anything else I can supply for technical to investigate further?

MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 57

Hi @combitz 

I've just read through this thread and I have a further question that doesn't seem to have been addressed as of yet (unless im much mistake in which case I apologise)

Are you attempting this over LAN or WiFi? Not that it SHOULD make a difference, however I would be interested to know if you are able to replicate the same error when hardwired - I used to have terrible issues connecting to a VPN  when I was using a Wireless connection but when I was on LAN it worked. The issue was different to what you are experiencing, and granted it was through my previous ISP, however I would just like to double check.

Thanks 

combitz
Dabbler

Hi @MasterOfReality

My desktop is hardwired and the works laptop is WIFI

Thanks.

MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

So it replicates on both connection types. 

Right - let me have a chat with a few colleagues and get a second (third?) opinion / advice. 

If Bob replies to you in the meantime i'll make sure i check the post so im up to speed. 

Thanks  

combitz
Dabbler

Nslookup snip attached after router factory reset.

MasterOfReality
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

Hi @combitz 

I'll be honest here, I'm at a loss now, and i wouldnt like to guess or give you any wrong info.

I've re raised this question to our Products team who will hopefully be able to provide some further news.

Thanks

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

@combitz, any improvement now?

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

combitz
Dabbler

Yes, awesome, connection established. Thank you for your persistence.

Couple of quick questions left Wink

What did you change? and how do I go about getting another static IP please ?

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

Fix

@combitz, static IP reassigned. You'll be charged the £5 set-up fee again on your next bill so I've processed a £5 refund ahead of the event. It should reach your account in a few working days.

I'll be honest, I'm kicking myself over the cause Roll_eyes

It was because you had our server-side firewall set too aggressively. I've disabled it for now, which seems to have done the trick.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team

combitz
Dabbler

@bobpullen Thank you again for keeping at it and finding the issue. I'll restart router later to get static IP address and free up current one.

This will save me some hours sitting in traffic.

Cheers

Stuart  

bobpullen
Community Gaffer
Community Gaffer

No worries. I kicked your connection this side so the static should already be assigned.

Bob Pullen
Plusnet Product Team