Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Too slow for Skype?

rogadodge
Aspiring Pro
Fixes: 1

Too slow for Skype?

Before we start, I DON'T have fibre. 
When 2 of us are online, we can't use skype. We  get an error message that 'the internet speed is too slow for video'.  Using broadband speedchecker, my speeds are 5.8Mb download, and 0.36Mb upload. I worked out, hopefully correctly, that it is the upload speed that is restricting it.
Is it possible to have the cap on upload removed or increased?  I am worried that when I am playing World of Warcraft online, I am going to get lag as well.
As an aside - I used to monitor my routers performance on Kitz, but now I have a technicolor 21C router, and can't find it on Kitz, so how do I find my stats? Huh
7 REPLIES 7
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Re: Too slow for Skype?

It's under the Thomson name on Kitz. See http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/frogstats.php#61.
The direct link to the stats is http://192.168.1.254/cgi/b/dsl/dt/?ce=1&be=0&l0=1&l1=0.
If you are on a 21CN connection Plusnet will uncap your upload free. Just confirm here that you want this. For 20CN it costs an extra £7.83 per month at https://portal.plus.net/wizard/?wizard_id=20
David
kitz
Aspiring Pro

Thanks spraxyt for bringing this post to my attention.  Smiley
It is indeed listed as Thomson TG582n, but I will add something to avoid any future confusion with the Thomson/Technicolor branding.
kitz
Aspiring Pro

Quote from: doris

Is it possible to have the cap on upload removed or increased?  I am worried that when I am playing World of Warcraft online, I am going to get lag as well.

Yes it should be,  Im bumping this in the hope that one of the Plusnet reps will see this.
Alternatively if you raise a ticket (question) then someone should be able to sort it for you.
Pettitto
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Fixes: 5

I've placed an order for your upload speeds to be uncapped, that should complete overnight tonight.
rogadodge
Aspiring Pro

Thanks all. Each and every one.
Just done a speedtest, and upload speed now is 0.58Mb, so a 50% increase, hopefully that will resolve any issues. Smiley
Unfortunately I have no idea what 21CN or 20CN is/are, or what the difference is.  I have heard the phrases bandied around but never looked at it.
The speed problem will be over in a couple of months, as we have our daughter and family staying with us whilst their house is refurbished.  With a twelve year old girl, the internet is going to take a hammering. Roll_eyes
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

Appreciate your kind remarks. Smiley
20CN is BT's old (up to 8Mbps) network which is all that is available in many exchanges. 21CN is the new technology network that in its non-fibre incarnation offers speeds up to 24Mbps for those very close to the exchange. (These are sync speeds not download speeds.)
Since Chris uncapped your line for free you must be on a 21CN WBC enabled exchange.  Cool
David
rogadodge
Aspiring Pro

Thanks Spraxyt, I noted the emphasis on up to  Smiley