cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Too far from Cabinet, what are my options?

Vega
Rising Star

Too far from Cabinet, what are my options?

I currently am in the middle of a house move. A BT engineer came to enable my Line for Home Phone. After a discussion with him, I've found out a horrible truth! When they built this new estate they did not bother to put in a new cabinet for my half of the estate, so we are sharing one which is sooo far away that I can only get up to 1Mb speeds!!!!
I confirmed this by visiting the BT DSL checker.....
Your exchange is ADSL enabled, and our initial test on your line indicates that your line should be able to have an ADSL broadband service that provides a fixed line speed up to 1Mbps. However due to the length of your line the 1Mbps service may require an engineer visit who will, where possible, supply the broadband service.
Our initial test on your line indicates that your line may not support a reliable ADSL Max broadband service, with current technology. However, an order for 250Kbps broadband speed will still be accepted, but an engineer may need to visit who will, where possible, supply the service.

Im used to 7Mb speeds on ADSL2+  (Using the same exchange) What are my options? Is there anything I can do or is this hopeless? I know that my County is earmarked for FTTC fibre rollout but for my specific area it could take over a year before this is implemented.
Matt
9 REPLIES 9
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Too far from Cabinet, what are my options?

it may not be as bad as you think.
Distance to the cabinet isn't the factor it is distance to the exchange
All you can do is wait and hope.
Vega
Rising Star

I know that my neighbour gets a 1Mb connection but im not sure what kind of product he's signed up to. I thought that the more copper wire length you are using, the higher the risk to line speed and it has to be copper wire from house to cabinet as well as Cabinet to exchange.
Like you said, wait and see with baited breath... if it does end up being 1Mb I dont know what to do
Matt
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

You are correct but copper line length is from you to the exchange not you to the cabinet
James
Grafter

It's only really FTTC (Fibre to the Cabinet) where the length of copper from the cabinet to the house is the limiting factor.
As Jim says, it's the length of the line itself that's more important in your case.
oldsystem

Its a conservative estimate. When i moved i was quoted 0.5Mb, but got 3Mb (although thats dropped to 2.5Mb since the ADSL2+ move). 
I came from a Virgin area and its not too bad, have no problems streaming and gaming, and download big files overnight.
dratddestroyer
Grafter

There is always the satellite based broadband - not cheap but you can get fast speeds.  Downside is latency. My friends in the countryside have it.
prichardson
Grafter

If your line is served from a SCP (Secondary Connection Point - Green cab) in addition to a PCP (Primary Connection Point - Green cab), then you will be unable to obtain FTTC at the present time. However this may or may not change in the future.
This rule is governed under the ANFP, which also states that DEL (Direct Exchange Lines - Lines not served via a cab) cannot have FTTC either.
This may restrict your access to ADSL2+ at max at present.
198kHz
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 41

Quote from: P
If your line is served from a SCP (Secondary Connection Point - Green cab)

ITYM pillar?
They're grey, concrete cover IIRC - link here
Murphy was an optimist
Zen FTTC 40/10 + Digital Voice   FRITZ!Box 7530
BT technician (Retired)
Vega
Rising Star

Thanks for the replies, I will just have to wait and see what speeds they manage to squeeze out. Will have a look at saltellite boradband (and pretend I just won the lottery) lol
Matt