cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

To Max or not to Max?

donne
Grafter

To Max or not to Max?

I'm still on 2Mbps, and reasonably happy with the service.  Occasionally I get emails from Plusnet reminding me I can change to ADSL Max - up to 8Mbps.  Now I've read in the past that sometimes such an 'upgrade' produces a lower speed than before.  Is this still people's experience? 
I looked at the DSL status on my modem, and it reported:
US Margin 31
DS Margin 15
DS Line Att 35
US Line Att 42
I've no idea how these figures relate to line quality or potential performance at Max speeds.
8 REPLIES 8
Yadda
Grafter

Re: To Max or not to Max?

I would recommend that you go for it, as I did around two weeks ago. I'm certainly no expert on predicting what speeds you could expect after being "Maxed", but looking at the figures from your router, I'd say you should certainly realise a faster connection than the 2mb you're currently on.
In a nutshell, here's a quick explaination of the significance of those figures from your router/modem, and how you can influence them:
US Margin & DS Margin. (Sometimes referred to as "Noise Margin".
This is the difference, in decibels, between the signal and any line noise. ("US" is the upstream reading and "DS" is downstream.) The higher these figures are, the better.
When your ADSL sync speed is raised (e.g. during the initial ADSL Max period) your noise margins will reduce. For this reason it is beneficial to achieve as high margin values as is reasonably possible, to give your connection as much headroom as you can, as they will influence the maximum speed you achieve when you're "Maxed".
To help increase these figures, ensure all devices on your line are correctly filtered and if possible connect your router/modem directly into your telephone master socket (where your line enters your house).
For wiring and filtering information, have a look at this guide: (http://usertools.plus.net/tutorials/id/13)

DS Line Att & US Line Att. ("Line Attenuation")
Line attenuation is a measurement of signal loss between your router/modem and the exchange (and vice-versa). Typically, these figures are an indication of the length of wire between you and your exchange i.e. how far you are away from it.
Unlike the margin values, with attenuation lower is better. Unfortunately, there isn't much you can do to influence line attenuation values, except perhaps move house!
James
Grafter

Hi Donne,
You've got very similar line conditions to mine and I'm getting roughly 6Mbps.
More than happy to place the order for you if you would like me to.
Spider
Grafter

I switched at the end of October and the reason for the delay was concern similar to yours. I also had connection issues at the time. After I was reassured I could convert back if necessary I took the plunge and have not regretted it. My current profile is 6500kbps and BT Speedtester shows a throughput of 5900Kbps.
pcoventry76
Grafter

Yes go for it - i have a BT profile of 5000kbps yet i get 650k/sec which is the best i have ever had - no other ISP's max service has given me over 4mpbs and about 420k/sec
Plusnet's network is quality
fransorci
Grafter

So my stats of:
                    Downstream        Upstream
Line Attenuation  32 db            15.5 db
Noise Margin        6 db            12 db
Are pretty poor then?
I assumed after talking to Jameseh for a while, that a lower noise margin is better, obviously not.

James
Grafter

Fran,
Those line stats are actually pretty good (better than mine in fact).  What sort of sync speeds are you seeing now?
donne
Grafter

Thanks for the replies - all seem very enthusiastic.  I'll probably take the plunge after mulling it over for a few more days!
By the way, it seems to me that line attenuation should be roughly equal DS and US, since it relates to the length of copper wire between modem and exchange.  Mine differs by 7db and fransorci's varies by 16.5 db.  What would be the cause of the difference?
James
Grafter

Downstream attenuation is always higher than upstream unless there is a strange fault on the line.
It's something to do with the different frequencies that they use.