cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Timeouts accessing many web sites

ToeKnee60
Grafter

Timeouts accessing many web sites

Since switching to Plusnet unlimited fibre on Monday 30 December I keep getting timeouts accessing many web sites.
Sometimes I can refresh the browser a few times and it will display the web page.
I've tried running a ping to the same destination in the background and sometimes it will connect with a time of about 100ms and sometimes it will time out.
I tried disabling my firewall but that did not make any difference.
I've checked the Windows event logs (no errors) and the Plusnet router event logs.
In the router event log there are the occasional errors:
FIREWALL icmp check (1 of 3): Protocol: ICMP Src ip: XX.XX.XX.XX Dst ip: XX.XX.XX.XX Type: Destination Unreachable Code: Host Unreacheable
and
FIREWALL icmp check (1 of 3): Protocol: ICMP Src ip: XX.XX.XX.XX Dst ip: XX.XX.XX.XX Type: Destination Unreachable Code: Communication Administratively Prohibited
and
IDS proto parser : tcp null port (1 of 1) : XX.XX.XX.XX XX.XX.XX.XX 40 43 TCP 12206->0 [S.....] seq 1346631401 ack 0 win 8192
errors
but not lots of errors and the timing does not seem to correspond to failures to load web pages.
I've checked the Plusnet service status page and there are no issues (e.g. DNS).
I have had these problems intermittently every day since I have switched to Plusnet.
When the service does work web pages load quickly and a speed test gives results of about 68Mb/s down and 18Mb/s up.
Does anyone have any idea what the problem could be?
I've testing things on other computers and seem to get similar intermittent problems.
I've also downloaded and recorded a couple of On Demand programs on my Sky+HD box and both recordings had dropouts which has never happened before.
14 REPLIES 14
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Re: Timeouts accessing many web sites

Hi, I've just checked your account and spotted some missing details which have been preventing the speed profile from being set correctly. This could have been causing the issue. Let me know if that helped.
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
ToeKnee60
Grafter

Thanks Adam.
I'm at work at the moment, but I will check it when I return home this evening.
Anonymous
Not applicable

If that doesn't work,  have you previously EVER tweaked the MTU on your PCs or router ? - if so it might be worth checking that your PCs are using auto MTU size discovery - just in case your PCs have been manually set for a higher MTU (1500 for most ADSL connections) than your new FTTC router (1492).
ToeKnee60
Grafter

I tested the connection but I am still getting frequent connection timeouts both from the web browser and via Outlook 2013.
How long should it take for the speed profile to adjust?
ToeKnee60
Grafter

purleigh
I have never changed my MTU setting.
If I do a netsh interface ipv4 show subinterfaces it says that the MTU is 1500.
I tried changing it to 1492 but that did not make any difference so I have changed it back.
The problem occurs on all PCs in the house intermittently on various web sites.
ToeKnee60
Grafter

The problem seems to be getting worse this evening.
More than 75% of web pages (including this one) are now failing to load first time.
The router event log seems to be full of errors similar to the ones described in my first post.
Stanman24
Grafter

Been a pretty poor evneing for browsing myself
Cant even stream you tube videos
Necrotix
Dabbler

Just gonna chime in here as well.
I've been getting a LOT of websites which don't load recently.
Here's one: www.killergaming.com/‎
Doesn't seem to load for me for 2 nights now.
Anonymous
Not applicable

According to  http://downforeveryoneorjustme.com  -

and my network broadband caching proxy server says -
The following error was encountered while trying to retrieve the URL: http://www.killergaming.com
    Connection to 108.162.207.193 failed.
The system returned: (60) Operation timed out
The remote host or network may be down. Please try the request again.
Necrotix
Dabbler

Hey thanks for confirming that for me.
I did try it through my phone's mobile internet on 3g and it couldn't connect either.
Was just going to check for updated drivers for my NIC, but it seems I won't be doing that Smiley
ToeKnee60
Grafter

I just received an email from Plusnet saying "We can see that your account was recently activated and I hope that you are enjoying the service that you’ve ordered." and asking me to fill out a customer satisfaction survey.
Hopefully it will be a lot better when I return home this evening otherwise I will have to be very negative in my replies to the survey questions.
Yesterday evening it was virtually unusable and I had to refresh my browser several times to get a connection for most websites including the Plusnet community.
My family experienced similar problems on their PCs.
When I did a BT Wholesale speed test it showed a download speed of 70 to 71 Mb/s. Maybe this is a bit too fast for my line and it can't cope with it?
spraxyt
Resting Legend
Fixes: 75

I wouldn't hold back on your true feelings if you complete the questionnaire. Feedback surveys are  aimed at getting genuine feedback. If they help to identify endemic problems (affecting numerous customers) Plusnet can take appropriate action to eliminate them.
David
ToeKnee60
Grafter

My family told me that they have been having connection problems during the day, however, since I have been at home it has performed very well.
Hopefully the problems are just the teething troubles of a new connection adjusting itself until it finds a stable speed.
If I get no problems this evening then I will leave it a day or two before filling in the survey, so that I may give an honest and balanced view of Plusnet's services rather than a mini-rant in the midst of frustration.
ToeKnee60
Grafter

The last 3 evenings the service has been working fine.
It looks like my speed profile has settled and reached a stable rate of about 70 to 71 Mb/s down and 15 to 17 Mb/s up.
This is even better than Plusnet's original estimate when I signed up.  Smiley
I will close this ticket and complete the survey.