cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Ticket 9111093 slow upload

whitecottage
Dabbler

Ticket 9111093 slow upload

Been having problems with disconnects.  Particularly when the phone is used.  I'm on 21CN and about 4.5Km from exchange. 
Download - syncs at about 4,000 with an SNR between 7 and 10.  this very steady - been checking with routerstats.
Upload - regularly connects at <200, seen it as low as 40, sometimes 400.  SNR shoots up and down like a yo-yo.  Sometimes it drops to zero causing a disconnect.  If the phone is used it can shoot down, causing a disconnect.  I've seen Upload SNRs between 22.5 and zero in the last 24 hours.   

Had a BTW engineer out.  Confirmed all OK from the cabinet and that testing at the time of visit looked OK - which it did.  Suggested next move to look at the cable from the exchange to the cabinet.  Anyone seen this sort of upload issue before?
25 REPLIES 25
Oldjim
Resting Legend
Fixes: 63

Re: Ticket 9111093 slow upload

Yes and it was only fixed by changing the cable pair between the cab and the exchange
adamwalker
Plusnet Help Team
Plusnet Help Team
Fixes: 221

Let us know how you get on, I can see it's been noted that an engineer visit might be needed but we'll try our best to get this resolved without the need for an appointment if possible.
Adam
If this post resolved your issue please click the 'This fixed my problem' button
 Adam Walker
 Plusnet Help Team
whitecottage
Dabbler

How it went...  I took a morning off work for a Boost Engineer visit and nobody showed...  And nobody called....  Not even at 4pm....  Chased up PN twice and eventually a BT engineer phoned and said he's coming tomorrow morning.  If he comes, I'll let you know.  Does anyone know - is it possible to claim loss or earning against openreach?
njay
Grafter

It would have to be against plus net. And it would be a claim for subsequent visit as you were originally taking the first one off anyway.
jelv
Seasoned Hero
Fixes: 10

You may find http://www.moneysavingexpert.com/shopping/delivery-rights useful.
jelv (a.k.a Spoon Whittler)
   Why I have left Plusnet (warning: long post!)   
Broadband: Andrews & Arnold Home::1 (FTTC 80/20)
Line rental: Pulse 8 Home Line Rental (£14.40/month)
Mobile: iD mobile (£4/month)
whitecottage
Dabbler

In terms of loss of earnings etc. I probably shouldn't post on forums when I get in from the pub!  An engineer was hastily arranged for Sat morning and arrived at 8:30.  Changed some sort of clip or clamp in the cabinet and all looks good at the moment.  Continuing to monitor.  The really strange thing is - the improved stability in SNR actually began on Friday afternoon.  So either this is all co-incidental, or an engineer did come out on Friday and possibly look at the the exchange side?  But didn't come to my house?Huh
orbrey
Plusnet Alumni (retired)
Plusnet Alumni (retired)

I have a feeling the engineer who called you to arrange the visit may have done so from the exchange. As far as I'm aware we didn't arrange the appointment, so chances are he'll have been tasked to go out and investigate and found that he needed to visit your premises hence the call.
Either way sounds like sterling service from him - wish all engineers were like that Smiley Really glad it got sorted out.
whitecottage
Dabbler

Alas, stable Upload SNR can lasted for 24 hours or more, but then started to jump up and down like a yo-yo again.  The longer it's stable the more dramatic an effect an incoming seems to have.  Boost engineer came around on Saturday last week and did a thorough job of checking the connection and joints in the house, cabinet and through to the exchange, but largely ignored PN instructions - no lift and shit; BTW refused, said problem "must" be EU equipment.  Engineer said they got quite shirty with him.  And no cable change from the exchange to the cabinet as there was no "rating" for my line, so he didn't know if the 2 spares he had ratings for would be any better???  All I can get out of PN is that a further engineer visit may be required?   
Townman
Superuser
Superuser
Fixes: 158

White cottage,
Welcome to the vagaries of BTOR.  Never have the full instructions given by PN and even when they do, they take very little notice.  It seems that you need to have no service before BTw are prepared to do any serious work on iffy circuits.
Does an incoming call drop the synch or just 'hit' the SNRM?  If just the SNRM, does it fully recover?  Are you sure that you have nothing generating electrical noise?  Are you running RouterStats all of the time?  Are you capturing graphs so that you can look back at SNRM variations and identify patterns?  For example, I thought my problem was related to inbound calls, however from analysis of the long history, I found that I can track WCML train movements from my recordings of SNRM.
Hope you get a resolution soon.
Cheers,
Kevin

Superusers are not staff, but they do have a direct line of communication into the business in order to raise issues, concerns and feedback from the community.

whitecottage
Dabbler

Thanks for your interest townman, 
Not just incoming call, but simply lifting the phone can cause a significant drop in SNRM.  This can, of course, cause the sync to drop but doesn't if it's not at a good level to start with.  Sometimes it recovers, sometimes it restores to a stable level lower then the previous, sometimes the call seems to trigger a long period of fluctuating readings. This inconsistency is upload only.  The download SNRM is 9 or 9.5 and drops occasionally to 7 or 7.5 for a few minutes before returning to 9 or 9.5.  This isn't related to phone use.
Routerstats has been running for 2 weeks.  Clearly the phone call issue is identifiable from the timing.  On the attached at 12:02 and 13:19.
On the question of electrical interference - are you saying the unstable periods could be the washing machine running or suchlike?  As in the attached all afternoon?
jelv
Seasoned Hero

When you have an easily reproducible fault such as using the phone causing the SNR to go wild it's a waste of time doing any other monitoring - you just need to get Plusnet to book an engineer.
Before that there's a couple of things to be checked:
Is the phone line clear when you use the phone? If it is not you need to plug the phone on it's own (without a filter) in to the test socket inside the master socket (accessed by removing the lower half). If the phone line is still noisy you need to report a phone fault to whoever you pay for your phone rental.
Do you still get the SNR variation if you plug the phone and router in to the test socket?
whitecottage
Dabbler

Phone line sounds fine.  Desk phone and router are in master socket with (3rd) BT supplied filtered faceplate. 
jelv
Seasoned Hero

I think you still need to double check that you see the SNRM drop when the phone is in use when you are in the test socket.
whitecottage
Dabbler

I have connected router and phone to master socket via BT filter and will monitor.  The upload SNRM drops from 21.5 to 19.5 when I lift the receiver.  Is this to be expected or normal in anyway?